To tell or not to tell?

Lantern

I am very likely about to be offered a great job in an amazing location, all related to my future career. (I had the in-person interview yesterday, the interviewer called my previous supervisor this morning, and told him that I am their first choice and they are "hoping to get me". ) My problem is that I haven't told the people at the new job that I have applied to grad school. My potential future supervisor is looking for a minimum of a 1-2 year committment, saying most people aren't completely comfortable in the job until after 2 years (b/c there's such a variety of stuff to do and learn). For me, at this point, grad school is still my #1 priority, but I have no guarantee of getting in, so I feel that I need to plan as though I am not getting in. When I talked with friends about this, they all told me, "you have to look out for yourself first" - meaning take the job. But I really don't want to screw over my potential new employer if I do happen to get into grad school. Should I tell the people at the new job that grad school is a possibility, or is that a sure way to have them not offer me the job? Or do I just take the job when it's offered, and worry about the rest when it happens? What would you do?

There are a couple of variables you haven't really thrown in there yet, but here's my take on it -

1. how many schools are you waiting to hear back from, and what is the estimated timeline on that right now? (I don't think it is inappropriate at this point to email departments in question and ask where they are in the process).

2. how realistically do you believe you are in at any of your school choices?

3. What would you do if you ended up rejected at all of your choices?

After you answer those questions, then you have the option of

a. Asking the potential employer to give you some time to think about the offer and make sure you are able to make that commitment (time equivalent to the amount of time you need in order to hear back from your schools, based on your emails)

b. Telling your potential employer that there is a slight possibility of your being accepted at a graduate school and askinghim or her straight out if s/he will give you until April to make the decision, assuring him/her that if you do not get in then yes, you will absolutely take the job.

c. Take the job and hope you don't get into grad school so you don't have to make that choice.

d. don't take the job and hope something else comes along if you don't get into grad school.

I'm sorry not to be more help, but in my case, I would probably call or email the departments you are still awaiting decisions from, so I knew where I stood if that job offer call came.

Good luck!

Other factors to consider:

-How old are you and where are you in your career? If you are in your 20s and just starting out in the field, your work experience is always going to be valuable to getting into grad school and the next job. So lets say you work 2 years then apply. You will then be an applicant with 2yrs of prof experience. This should give you a leg up and get you in if you were on the cusp of rejection or help secure a better $$ package if you already were qualified. Plus once you graduate, you'll be ahead of those without work experience. On the other hand if you are older and more experienced, then grad school might be more valuable.

-How will "stiffing" your future employer play out? If yours is small field where everybody knows each other, maybe it's not a good idea to leave shortly after starting, lest you get blackballed in your future endeavors.

Thanks for the advice so far. Just to add a little more info - I have been out of college for 11 years, so I do have lots of experience. Sure, you can never have too much, but I'm not in the situation where I'm fresh out of undergrad and totally green.

I applied to 4 schools. It's hard for me to gauge how likely I am to get in. When I first applied, I had very little belief in myself that I would get in, but I have had professors at two of the schools express interest in me and my possible projects. I know that doesn't mean anything concrete, but it's definitely a good sign that they are showing interest.

I am confident that when the schools decide to accept or reject me they will let me know. Maybe I am wrong, but I feel that calling them to see where they are in the acceptance process will not yield much fruitful information. Also, the job would start in mid- to late March, which is good as I am currently unemployed. I was given April 15th as the date I would hear from most of my schools.

Also, I don't think "stiffing" my potential future employer would have any negative consequences on my future career. Although the job is related to my future career, it is not a job I would try to go back to in the future. I'm more concerned about disappointing my potential future employer if they put a lot of training time in to get me up to speed on the job.

If I were to be rejected from all schools, then I would be very happy to have the job that I am currently worried about taking. That's why I feel as though I need to plan for not getting into grad school. If I don't, I really need a job (for mental/emotional as well as financial reasons)!

I know this is a decision only I can make, I'm just wondering what you all would do if you were in a similar situation.

I just realized I posted using an identical title as the post regarding when to tell an employer. I have been folloiwng that thread, but intentionally started a new thread because I think these are two very different issues: telling a new employer before they hire you versus when to tell your long-time employer. Sorry about the duplicate title.

Take the job. Take the job. Take the job. Lots of people don't stay within the first month. They might be miffed if you leave if they like you. But if they don't like you, they won't think twice about letting you go...... You don't need to tell them why you are leaving, just that it's not a good fit. Plus you could probably use the month's money. this is my advice, since you asked. :)

Also why are you concerned with upsetting your potential employer? Lots of employers hire and train people, just to have them quit within the first month. It's part of the cost of doing business. They must see something good in you if they want to hire you. They also know that at some point you will move on... Why else would they be asking for committment? A lot of jobs don't ask you to make a commitment and they don't offer one either... think about that. I think they know they are getting a good bargain with you and they will lose you soon.

im facing the same problem as i search for a job for this spring/summer. ive looked at a few jobs where they were looking for a chemistry BS with no experience necessary, but they were obviously also looking for a long-term hire. i have been up-front about the fact that i am going to grad school this fall, even though it closes a lot of doors for me.

while it's true that a new hire could leave a company after only 5 months for completely aboveboard reasons, i dont feel it would be ethical to hide my plans from them. i wouldn't judge someone else doing it, but would feel much too dirty about it myself

for your specific situation, unless it really is your intention to bank the couple months' work between now and august, i would tell them about it. you'll know within a month whether you're into grad school or not, and i'm sure they would be willing to wait that long if this isn't just some entry-level position.

Edited by ChemHopeful

Thanks for your advice, everyone.

To follow up: about 4 hours after I got the official job offer I got accepted to grad school!!!! I was surprised and overjoyed! Since grad school was no longer only a possibility, I felt I had to be honest. I emailed, and explained the situation. I did say that if he could accept me as a short-term hire that I would absolutely accept the job. Of course, he couldn't, but I felt it was worth a try. So, I may not get to live in Hawaii, but I'm going to grad school!!! That makes me happy!