I already have a relationship with the professors in the department I'm applying to

Alex C

Question

So I've been doing research with a couple of the professors in the specific program that I'm applying to in a couple years, how will this influence my application process? I think it will help that I know their work so well already and they have seen how I work as a RA, but I don't want to feel to confidently about our relationship in terms of my application versus other candidates.

3 answers to this question

I am a MA student and applied for the PhD program at my school. I have a good relationship with several professors but the way their admissions process works, to make it less biased, the professors who know me can't review my application. I got waitlisted and ended up accepting an offer elsewhere. I'm not sure still how your program works though, but I imagine a lot of schools have a similar process. 

I agree with the others that getting through the first round of the admissions process will most likely still depend mostly/entirely upon your credentials, unless you happen to get the faculty members you know reviewing your application (even then, it is a committee decision). 

However, I do think that if you made it through to an interview, you would then have an advantage! When I interviewed at my undergraduate institution for the PhD program, I definitely felt like a had a home-turf bonus. I was on good terms with many members of the department, which made every interview friendly and positive.