Hunter College Social Work Fall 2018

Zyra

On 4/6/2018 at 1:05 AM, Raquay said:

Hey! The same exact thing happened to me today as well! I was so distraught... I am glad to hear that it was a mistake on their part for everyone , and not just me. Probably a batch error right?

Exactly right. The press of a button with the wrong box checked. 

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, cfabre said:

They ask 3 questions and have you read an article and react to it. The questions are: tell me about yourself, what's your social identity and what do you do when you meet someone that doesn't have the same social identity as you, and to say what would you do in a what if situation. The interview isn't hard. I just felt like with the questions they asked they didn't get to know me. 

Thank you for sharing this! Extremely helpful. Do you mind elaborating more about the social identity question?

19 hours ago, NonsequiTorres said:

It does usually take a week or two. If you check up with them and tell them you need a response asap, chances are they will at least change it to "review" or if you're fortunate, to a decision.

They finally got back to me on 4/13 almost 4 weeks later and was accepted! I told them during the interview and whenever i called that i needed a response asap which was true. I don't know why it took so long for them to get back to me. 

19 hours ago, Velaz_928 said:

Thank you for sharing this! Extremely helpful. Do you mind elaborating more about the social identity question?

I think they just wanted to know how you see yourself and how you relate to others that have a different social identity than you do. That honestly was a tricky question. But, just be yourself and answer honestly. They say there's no right or wrong answer

On 4/17/2018 at 10:12 AM, cfabre said:

I think they just wanted to know how you see yourself and how you relate to others that have a different social identity than you do. That honestly was a tricky question. But, just be yourself and answer honestly. They say there's no right or wrong answer

Yes, I think so too! 

Hello - so glad I found this page (thanks for setting it up, Zyra). I received the email for the interview on Tuesday, and it was this morning! Not much time to prep but I think it well. 

I've applied/interview for the COP&D method. The questions were more around organizing skills, and lessons learned. The reading assignment was pretty standard. 

Of course as soon as I left I thought of better answers (even as soon as the next person started talking that happened!), but you can tell they know that. Overall, it was a lot less painful than I thought it would be. 

Best of luck everyone!

Hi everyone, has anyone submitted their commitment deposit form for hunter college yet? I just got accepted to nyu silver school of social work with 15k in tuition award. I am undecided where to go now. I think about the debt, the money that we will make as social workers. I have to let  hunter know by 4/27 if I accept their offer or not. Do they offer extension? I know some of you got accepted to nyu and hunter. What made you decide on Hunter or NYU?.

On 4/27/2018 at 4:25 PM, Dansir said:

Hi Ya'll,

I initially received one of those emails that said I had been invited for an interview only to be put in a "Pending Program Decision" Mode for several weeks, after calling today, I was later posted a decision saying I was denied. I have not been particularly happy with the way that my application was handled at Hunter. Given my credentials I felt that i would of at least been invited for an interview.

I applied to several New York State Schools (Fordham, SUNY Buffalo, Binghamton, Albany, Columbia, Hunter, NYU) I currently got in at Columbia, Fordham, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Albany and I am waiting on NYU. I had also gotten rejected at SUNY Binghamton but was not planning on going to that school anyways (also I do not think I did well on the interview portion). I denied my admission to Fordham University today even though they gave me a bit of a scholarship. I do not have plans to go to NYU's program if I get in.

My top choice was Hunter, but now I am deciding between staying in NYC or moving upstate to Buffalo or Albany. I know both SUNY schools are similarly ranked to Hunter's Program and having in state tuition is tempting me to take that route versus going private and staying in NYC.

I'm so sorry that this happened I truly do not understand Hunter's admission process.I feel like theres something so strange about how they select people because I know of people who have amazing credentials and were also denied.I heard Buffalo has a great program though! I would have loved to attend there but I was not able to apply this year.Only thing is that it is so cold up there and I wonder what the placements are like up there.

On 4/30/2018 at 3:59 AM, Dansir said:

It's alright! I'm just glad I got into basically all the schools i was hoping to consider going to (Binghamton was a safety/last ditch resort school, their program is fairly new and the school is way way way to rural for me). Although being from a rural area originally, wouldn't mind practicing someplace far away! Plus I feel I should of did a in person interview and visited.

I may still call them and ask if I can get waitlisted or if they are able to look over my application again, (only because they made the decision literally an hour after I talked to the coordinator on the phone).

Right now I am seriously considering Columbia Vs. SUNY Buffalo. I am leaning more towards Columbia. I would not of went to NYU regardless if I got in. I genuinely think Buffalo is a better option but seriously doubt my ability to adjust to a smaller city coming from NYC. Every person i've known that has gone their or lived in Buffalo I have talked to has regretted it and has moved away. In state tuition is also heavily swaying my decision. SUNY Albany's program is too general and not enough specialty going on their. Plus their school doesn't have a medical center which is also important to me.

They need another decent well ranked public social work school in NYC! Lehman is a well respected program as a undergraduate major but their masters program is too new and they are even more competitive then Hunter (very small class size, interview process). (Plus their admission process was one of the most old fashioned I have ever experienced). They wanted a physical form of application payment to the bursar office PLUS unofficial transcripts mailed physically not sent electronically...

Omg im so surprised about Lehman?? theyre so new they don't have online application?

I totally agree as New Yorkers our options are so limited ,I cannot imagine adjusting to life outside of the city especially not owning a car.

Columbia is still a great option and holds alot of weight I'm sure in the job market world.Have you considered taking another year off and just reapplying to Hunter?

I just got my financial aid award, i was offered federal work study, should I accept it? I won't have a job once I start graduate school. Not sure how stress I will be with the internship, classes, and homework. But any kind of money helps 

3 hours ago, Zyra said:

I just got my financial aid award, i was offered federal work study, should I accept it? I won't have a job once I start graduate school. Not sure how stress I will be with the internship, classes, and homework. But any kind of money helps 

Hey I would accept the work study. As you said any kind of money helps. I’ve heard work study is on campus and most jobs are really laid back so maybe you’ll get lucky and get a good job placement 

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think their is a facebook group ?

Still waiting on my application status, my application is being re-considered for admission so I am hoping for the best. I went to a info session the other week and was pretty impressed with how the event went. Was surprised they were still accepting applications. I think May 25th was the final submission date for the actual application (supplemental materials due later on I believe). Kinda wish I did my application later now but oh well! 

Other offers on the table are Columbia University and University At Albany-SUNY. I declined University at Buffalo-SUNY, Binghamton University-SUNY, NYU & Fordham University Already.

Leaning more towards going to Albany or Hunter for my MSW. Although Columbia offered me a substantial scholarship! 

On 5/26/2018 at 12:35 AM, Dansir said:

I do not think their is a facebook group ?

Still waiting on my application status, my application is being re-considered for admission so I am hoping for the best. I went to a info session the other week and was pretty impressed with how the event went. Was surprised they were still accepting applications. I think May 25th was the final submission date for the actual application (supplemental materials due later on I believe). Kinda wish I did my application later now but oh well! 

Other offers on the table are Columbia University and University At Albany-SUNY. I declined University at Buffalo-SUNY, Binghamton University-SUNY, NYU & Fordham University Already.

Leaning more towards going to Albany or Hunter for my MSW. Although Columbia offered me a substantial scholarship! 

Ohhh what do you mean being reconsidered?? What happened with your application? 

On 5/25/2018 at 9:53 PM, pettyaspraxis said:

also does anyone know if there is a FB page for the msw program? im interested in connecting with people, especially people who are coming from out of state like me :)

Hey there is a facebook group it's HCSSW entourage. It's a private group so you do have to answer questions to be in the groups

I went to the info session a couple weeks ago, and didn't even have to explain my case, I just mentioned that I didn't get into Hunter and Wanted to Transfer in from Columbia most likely. the admissions representative seemed shocked I got into Columbia but not Hunter and most of the other schools i applied to with the exception of Binghamton and NYU (although Hunter is much more selective then Columbia so not sure why they acted so shocked, Hunter usually maintains a selectivity rate in the 30 % range and columbia's acceptance rate is well over 70 %). I also mentioned that Hunter was my top choice and in terms of cost was the best route for me in terms of affordability. I also mentioned my passion for the program and my desire to stay in NYC to do my social work education. The director of admissions seemed very willing to work with me and actually proposed looking at my application again. I didn't even have to plead my case or ask for an appeal. So I am hoping that I get offered an interview as their last interview I think is sometime in June.

So basically my application was put in a "waiting period" for several weeks and then I wasn't offered an interview, which was a major bummer for me. So I am hoping this time around they want to interview me so that I can hopefully ace the interview and get admitted. I just thought with my credentials I would at least be offered an interview. If not I am more then happy going to Albany as it is my top choice but also i am dreading moving again as I have moved around so much! 

Apparently its very difficult to transfer into Hunter as they only accept like 9 credits I think and then you have to re-do your field placement, which just sounds rough! So I would have to transfer in Spring 2018 ?

Hunter actually isn't my top choice anymore, but i think in terms of making it easier for myself and staying in the city and especially with in state tuition I should attend if i get in! Hunter is actually a bit cheaper then the SUNY schools also! 

I declined Columbia's offer today though and I feel like a huge weight is lifted off of my shoulders! ? as I was mainly holding out until I could confirm that SUNY Albany was giving me a in state tuition rate (CUNY/SUNY schools have different policies on these matters and SUNY schools weigh the financial dependency/independency portion a lot more heavily then CUNY schools, i've been considered out of state/in-state at some SUNY schools before and in state at CUNY schools)

Edited by Dansir

Hello everyone, has anyone received updates on internship sites? I got two potential sites that the field advisor gave. Im torn between which one. Not sure to intern at a store or a court. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 8:48 PM, Zyra said:

Hello everyone, has anyone received updates on internship sites? I got two potential sites that the field advisor gave. Im torn between which one. Not sure to intern at a store or a court. 

Yea I did I have to get drug tested 

Is anyone else frustrated with their interactions with their field advisor? I’m an out of state student and can’t meet in person so I asked to meet over Skype/the phone but my field advisor insists that we met in person. I told her I won’t be in NY until August and all she replied was with a one sentence reply stating that would be a problem because August is a vacation month.

Should I just email one of the other advisors and see if they can help me? I feel like my concerns aren’t being taken seriously by the person i currently have