Hunter College Social Work Fall 2018

Zyra

Hello. I decided on creating a tread for silberman school of social work fall 2018. Has anyone heard anything from them? I submitted my application around Feb and the recommendations were done around early March. I heard back on 3/20/18 for a group interview that is scheduled for 3/26/18. I am quite nervous. Has anyone done the group interview and can offer some advice?  This thread is for anyone who wants to share their application status and to make new friends!

I also applied but have already decided on a program.. (especially as Hunter is deciding so late in the game). I have heard that it is REALLY intense lasting even 2-3 hours. I have also heard from my professors that they really want you to know your stuff about diversity. Sometimes there may be a written portion regarding certain situations. I don't mean to stress you out but I want you to get an idea of what you should expect. I assume if you are in this field you have the aptitude to discuss diversity, just speak with conviction and passion.

I applied 1/10. Interviewed 3/12. Accepted 3/14.

The interview was cool. It was a group of us being assessed by a member of the staff. She asked us to tell a bit about why Hunter, why the specific track we chose, and what we're doing now. We were asked to share about a time when we felt like the "other". Then we were asked to discuss a hypothetical situation and what thoughts we would be processing in that moment. At the end, there was a brief writing portion. You read a rather dense few pages of material and then talk about what social impact you think the article has. We get around 30 minutes for this last part and when you finish, you can go ahead and leave. 

I was really impressed by the caliber of students I interviewed with and found most to have a deep understanding of anti-oppression frameworks and trauma-informed care. The professor who interviewed us would follow up and ask more questions of people if she wanted more information. For instance, I talked about my work at a domestic violence shelter and she followed up by asking about what kind of impact that work has had on me these last few years. After the interview, the professor basically provides her thoughts on each of us as candidates to the admissions committee. 

Feel free to ask/message me if you have more questions about the whole process. Hope this helps some of you all. 

ETA: I applied for the 2 Year Clinical Track. It lasted about 2 hours but went pretty fast because the whole interview was quite conversational. 

Edited by goldenbear

I also applied, did a group skype interview on 2/28, and was accepted three weeks later. My interview was with just one other person and we had about 6 questions that were mostly scenario based. There is an hour long written test as well. I don't think the interview is very intense and we all had thoughtful conversations. Our interviewee also gave us some valuable career advice. 

I applied for the residency. I was contacted by admissions and advised that I needed to send them proof of my visa status (I’m from the UK) plus a course by course evaluation of my undergrad (obtained in the UK). I’m waiting on the evaluation. I only just contacted my old school today so I’m really nervous that I messsed up/missed out.

Any other international students here?

On 23/03/2018 at 4:42 PM, goldenbear said:

The interview was cool. It was a group of us being assessed by a member of the staff. She asked us to tell a bit about why Hunter, why the specific track we chose, and what we're doing now. We were asked to share about a time when we felt like the "other". Then we were asked to discuss a hypothetical situation and what thoughts we would be processing in that moment. At the end, there was a brief writing portion. You read a rather dense few pages of material and then talk about what social impact you think the article has. We get around 30 minutes for this last part and when you finish, you can go ahead and leave. 

I was really impressed by the caliber of students I interviewed with and found most to have a deep understanding of anti-oppression frameworks and trauma-informed care. The professor who interviewed us would follow up and ask more questions of people if she wanted more information. For instance, I talked about my work at a domestic violence shelter and she followed up by asking about what kind of impact that work has had on me these last few years. After the interview, the professor basically provides her thoughts on each of us as candidates to the admissions committee. 

Feel free to ask/message me if you have more questions about the whole process. Hope this helps some of you all. 

ETA: I applied for the 2 Year Clinical Track. It lasted about 2 hours but went pretty fast because the whole interview was quite conversational. 

Thank you for posting this, super helpful and congrats on being accepted!

Hi guys, I just wanted to give you an update on how the interview went. It was pretty conversational and everyone was supporting of each other. I was nervous at first but then I realized everyone probably is nervous as well. The question that were asked were Who are you? Why social work? Why hunter?. We were asked what our social identity is and how has it impact our work with our community.  After we were given a case scenario on a particular issue and how would we response to the problem. Overall, I wish I would have done better. The waiting game is hard as I keep checking my application every hour. I was told we would hear back within two weeks, but I know of students who hear back in  two days. I wish all of you best of luck!

Edited by Zyra

On 3/23/2018 at 4:42 PM, goldenbear said:

Nice job on getting in! Did u get an email saying that you were accepting or you checked your application status?

11 hours ago, Holli82 said:

I applied for the residency. I was contacted by admissions and advised that I needed to send them proof of my visa status (I’m from the UK) plus a course by course evaluation of my undergrad (obtained in the UK). I’m waiting on the evaluation. I only just contacted my old school today so I’m really nervous that I messsed up/missed out.

Any other international students here?

I am not international, but I hope things work out for you!

On 3/23/2018 at 6:45 PM, sgt said:

I also applied, did a group skype interview on 2/28, and was accepted three weeks later. My interview was with just one other person and we had about 6 questions that were mostly scenario based. There is an hour long written test as well. I don't think the interview is very intense and we all had thoughtful conversations. Our interviewee also gave us some valuable career advice. 

Congrats on being accepted! Did you hear back from email about the acceptance or you checked the application status page?

I had my interview on 3/19. And I'm super nervous because I haven't heard back yet. I saw that someone on this thread heard back in two days and i also know someone that heard back in two days. I've had to ask NYU for two extensions already. Hunter is honestly my number one choice. I hate having to wait!

On 3/27/2018 at 10:46 AM, Zyra said:

Hi guys, I just wanted to give you an update on how the interview went. It was pretty conversational and everyone was supporting of each other. I was nervous at first but then I realized everyone probably is nervous as well. The question that were asked were Who are you? Why social work? Why hunter?. We were asked what our social identity is and how has it impact our work with our community.  After we were given a case scenario on a particular issue and how would we response to the problem. Overall, I wish I would have done better. The waiting game is hard as I keep checking my application every hour. I was told we would hear back within two weeks, but I know of students who hear back in  two days. I wish all of you best of luck!

I feel the same way you do! I feel like the nerves just got to me and i didn't do the best I could have.  Keep us updated on when you hear back!

On 3/23/2018 at 4:42 PM, goldenbear said:

Congrats on being accepted! You're so lucky that you heard back in two days

On 3/28/2018 at 2:02 PM, TeacherTurningSocialWorker said:

Have my interview on April 2! Nervous, but excited. But nervous.

I was also accepted to NYU and Columbia and I'm just waiting on Hunter. Do you know what school you will attend?

im really confused. i submitted my app back in december and haven't heard anything and re-checked my portal and my status was changed to "pending interview" 

i was pretty sure i got rejected and haven't gotten any emails from the department about an interview so i am really unclear as to what this means??

14 hours ago, pettyaspraxis said:

im really confused. i submitted my app back in december and haven't heard anything and re-checked my portal and my status was changed to "pending interview" 

i was pretty sure i got rejected and haven't gotten any emails from the department about an interview so i am really unclear as to what this means??

Are you sure you haven't received an email asking you to schedule an interview? if you haven't call them and tell them that you haven't but there your portal says pending interview

14 hours ago, TeacherTurningSocialWorker said:

Leaning heavily toward NYU... it depends how I feel after the interview and if I get accepted but I feel most excited about NYU

Thanks for replying! Hopefully you get into Hunter. I'm stuck between hunter and NYU mostly because of the cost difference

51 minutes ago, Zyra said:

has anyone heard anything from hunter yet? Its been a week since my interview. I am so nervous.

Hey I had my interview two weeks ago and still haven’t heard back! I keep checking online everyday a couple of times and it just says pending interview 

Hey guys!

I sent in my application on  3/10 heard back today that i was invited for an interview then two hours later I recieved another email  that my application is still under review and to disregard the previous email :( 

Did this happen to anyone else? Im truly devestated. 

42 minutes ago, Pr3tinpink1 said:

Hey guys!

I sent in my application on  3/10 heard back today that i was invited for an interview then two hours later I recieved another email  that my application is still under review and to disregard the previous email :( 

Did this happen to anyone else? Im truly devestated. 

This same thing happened to me today!! I feel for you, I'm so upset too. :(

I don't know what to think hopefully they really just haven't finished reviewing them yet...