HKS Class Size

rapswell

Struggling to decide between a potential full ride at Georgetown (scholarship still tbd, but in the running) and 50k at HKS, which would mean sizeable loans (60k+ including living expenses).

HKS is obviously well-known, but the class size is huge. At SIPA and SAIS, that seems to have diluted the experience in recent years. Any commentary on whether the 225 person MPP program feels too big?

I believe they chop the incoming class into 4 groups of 50ish, with whom you’ll take the core courses. It sounds like students really appreciate it as it allows you to really bond/get to know those other 50 people.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an HKS alum. I thought the class size was perfect since the cohort model means you get to know a group of 60 people pretty intimately. It's also big enough that you can find other people who share your niche interests. 

Thanks for the feedback. Not in an obnoxious way, but I'm trying to weigh it because I'm making over 100k at 24 so I'm thinking the loans aren't a huge deal, but if I go into PS (which is what I intend) then that will likely change, so I'm also trying to figure out what's a reasonable loan obligation to plan for when I'm 26.

Thanks for the feedback. Not in an obnoxious way, but I'm trying to weigh it because I'm making over 100k at 24 so I'm thinking the loans aren't a huge deal, but if I go into PS (which is what I intend) then that will likely change, so I'm also trying to figure out what's a reasonable loan obligation to plan for when I'm 26.