NYU vs. Undergrad Alma Mater?

jaaaayciee

I got into the History MA program for UNLV -- the school I recently got my undergrad degree, located in the city that I have been born and raised in. Even though I was bummed that I got rejected from all my other schools, I still was very happy and started planning on going to UNLV. However, I recently got the notice from NYU that I got in. So now I have a big decision -- I know that NYU is an amazing school, but it is very expensive, and I would have to deal with relocating and trying to deal with living in NYC. Both schools accepted me, and both schools did not offer me funding.

I am a licensed secondary teacher for Nevada, and NYU has a problem where teachers with full-time teaching positions will get tuition cut in half. That brings NYU from $40k a year to about $20k a year, which is a big difference. At UNLV I would be paying about $8k a semester.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Relocating and living in NYC - don't worry about that. Lots of people do it, and you can too if you want to. They're not decisions to be undertaken lightly of course - but they are completely doable things and you can succeed and thrive at them.

The question is whether NYU is as good a fit for you as UNLV and whether it's affordable. The full-time teaching program sounds like it brings NYU to be pretty close in price to UNLV (assuming $16K a year at UNLV, since it's $8K a semester). But that also assumes that you can get a full-time teaching position in New York in enough time to qualify for the tuition cut. Do you think this is possible? What does the teaching market look like in your field in New York? The cost of living in New York is also way higher than Las Vegas, and it's not uncommon for teachers (especially teachers who are also students) to have roommates, sharing an apartment with 1-2 other people. Think about whether you would have to borrow money to supplement your income in NYC.

Also, this sounds like a history MA and not an M.Ed. How flexible is the program at NYU for full-time teachers? Are the classes offered in the evenings and weekends? Basically, are you actually going to be able to continue to work as a full-time teacher to keep your tuition low in NYU? Sounds like UNLV is the same price regardless of whether you are teaching or not.

Lastly, are you planning to stay/return to Nevada after graduating?

5 hours ago, juilletmercredi said:

UNLV is definitely flexible with a full-time teaching schedule, but I am not sure that NYU is. I am going for a History Masters, so I figured that maybe I can try and email somebody to ask. Most people I have asked in other programs have said that majority of classes are going to be in the afternoon, so I did make an assumption, which might be silly in my case.

My dad and I both have a plan set out in regards to rent, loans, etc. so I think that we should be fine, it's just more if it's worth it. I do plan on coming back to Nevada after I am done with the program, so would it be good to relocate for a couple years to experience NYC on my own? Which I know is hard to answer, but it just seems like such a big decision.

4 hours ago, jaaaayciee said:

I do plan on coming back to Nevada after I am done with the program, so would it be good to relocate for a couple years to experience NYC on my own? Which I know is hard to answer, but it just seems like such a big decision.

This is something no one online can answer for you honestly. It's a question that you have to ask yourself. Moving and relocating is expensive (in terms of actual costs and then also in terms of time/effort/stress). Doing it twice in a couple of years would be overwhelming to me but, i you've never done it, then it might be worth it to you.

What are your goals for the master's? How will each program help you get there?