My GRE score expires this July

I am going to be applying for my PhD this upcoming fall (for acceptance in Fall 2019). The issue is, I took my GRE 5 years ago at this point and according to the ETS website, my score is "good" up until July 2018. Will I still be able to submit my score? When does the application period open for PhD programs?

Alternatively, I could just retake them. But it's been so long I think I've pretty much forgotten everything. Yikes.

Application periods generally open up in August so I would say you need to retake, unfortunately. One of the programs I applied to actually even required that GRE scores be within 3 years, not 5.

Unfortunately, you will have to retake the exams for applications submitted and considered after July 2018. The usual process is that you submit your application with your scores and the school then accesses your score from the database or whatever and attaches it to your application locally. I think the school has to do this step before your score expires or they won't be able to get your score! So, since very few Fall 2019 programs will be doing this prior to July 2018, I think you will have to retake the exam.