Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help.. What is the right thing to do


MMM21
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I got accepted from 3 schools recently, two of which require me to tell them if I will accept their offer or not by 14th of April. The last school I am waiting for is Michigan university who still hasn't replied to me yet...So I sent them a general Email asking when will they send out their responses and they replied by saying that they are still reviewing applications till mid April.

 

So what should I do? Should I email them again asking for my application in particular and tell them I have deadlines I need to cater to? Or will this do more bad than good? :S

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MMM21 said:

Do u think its okay for me to accept the best offer of the three universities I heard from until I hear back from UMICH?

Do you know if Michigan has already sent offers out? Have you tried calling the coordinator?

I think it's alright if you accept the best offer, but remember that you'll need the program's permission to withdraw if Michigan accepts after the 15th. Accepting after that date might also result in a previously-funded offer becoming withdrawn from the other two schools.

Edited by Warelin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MMM21 said:

Do u think its okay for me to accept the best offer of the three universities I heard from until I hear back from UMICH?

Depending on the nature of your program? If these are unfunded Masters or professional programs, then yes, this is probably fine. But if you are considering funded research PhD programs, then this is a very bad idea at this point. If you do something like this, you will likely burn bridges at one or both schools. If you end up with no other option then you will have to do this but I would not risk professional repercussions of accepting while still waiting to hear back from another place.

Ask UMich about your application specifically and ask your current top choice to extend their deadline. If that does not get you anywhere then accept the best offer on April 14. In the end you have to make the best decision for yourself and if that means changing to UMich after April 14 then it might have to be that way. But don't take this drastic action now without waiting a little bit longer first and trying more options. Note that in about 7-10 days, UMich may have more information on your application and the other school may be more willing to extend your deadline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in a very similar position. I emailed the outstanding program and asked about timelines for the remaining applicants. They said that they admit people in waves, with another wave coming out before mid-April. I responded asking if they also sent out rejections in waves and whether they had a waitlist, mostly to try to gauge what my chances are/what it means to still be in the applicant pool. I'm still waiting for a response, but hopefully knowing whether the current applicant pool is more of a waitlist or if it includes everyone who hasn't been offered admission will at least give me a feel for my odds.

I felt a bit bad, like I was bugging them with questions, but programs in my field overwhelmingly have mid-April decision deadlines. I figured that, by this point, reaching out for the first time to inquire is perfectly reasonable...

Edited by XVIIA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.