Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has committed to UVM for Fall 2018 yet. I was able to visit a few weeks ago and I think I will be committing to the program within the next few days!

If so, what is everyone's living situation? I'll be moving from states over and will be needing to find a roommate and place to live. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about finding a roommate since I don't think a Facebook group has been started yet?

Hi! I haven't committed yet but I am about 97% sure that I will. I'm waiting on NYU's online program but I am doubtful I will find out about admission AND financial aid in time. UVM has offered me a partial scholarship (yay!) which I have to accept by April 9th. I live 3 hours away, so moving won't be too terrible. I'm moving with my boyfriend, so we're looking for a 1 bedroom. I've been checking out rents on craigslist (not cheap, but I guess that also depends on where you're moving from). Burlington requires tenants to give 60 days notice to vacate, so I plan on taking a week off from work in late May or early June to schedule viewings. A six-hour round trip is unpleasant but doable, if I can book a few appointments in one day.

If craigslist is too sketchy for you, the Burlington Free Press and the alternate weekly paper Seven Days have some apartment listings. There are also a few different resources that are offered once we commit, including a UVM listserv (maybe even a Graduate listserv?) It sounds like we will get a plethora of helpful information once we're officially in.

Edited by bibliophile222

Thank you so much for letting me know about the 60 day notice and about the different options! I wasn't aware of that notice requirement. 6 hours isn't terrible to check out places to live. It is 6 hours one way for me without traffic to get home from where I live now/went to school. Best of luck getting multiple appointments! I think that it is the best way to do it. I too have been checking Craigslist but everything still seems to be fairly steep.

Congratulations on the partial scholarship! I also received a scholarship and will have to accept by April 9th as well. I got waitlisted to Arizona State so that will be closer to home but I most likely won't be finding out until a few weeks after the deadline. 

Hi! I'm trying to decide between UVM and my state school! I'm going to visit UVM this week and make a final decision.. If I choose UVM I will also be looking for housing... I've been looking at Craigslist too but it is definitely more challenging when you live out of state!

6 hours ago, SLPeach said:

Hi! I'm trying to decide between UVM and my state school! I'm going to visit UVM this week and make a final decision.. If I choose UVM I will also be looking for housing... I've been looking at Craigslist too but it is definitely more challenging when you live out of state!

I definitely think you're going to love UVM when you visit. The cozy, collaborative nature of the program really stood out to me (since there are only about 18 people, everyone has the same class schedule and there is only one classroom! It's almost like being in a one-room schoolhouse). The campus and city are beautiful, and I'm really looking forward to enjoying Lake Champlain.

I've been looking at various websites with tips on renting out of state--if you can't visit in person try to get a Skype tour of the apartment, or if you know someone close have them check it out for you. Other options are trying to get a short-term lease in case the place is a nightmare.

8 hours ago, SLPeach said:

Hi! I'll be looking for a roommate when I move there!  I absolutely loved it when I visited a few weeks ago. :) the professors seem really amazing as well and the students seem to really love the program there. There are some very well known faculty as well at UVM. Let me know how it goes! I'm open to looking at places with people and I plan on going out there sometime at the end of next month or so to look at housing options.

19 hours ago, SLPhopeful129 said:

Hi! I'll be looking for a roommate when I move there!  I absolutely loved it when I visited a few weeks ago. :) the professors seem really amazing as well and the students seem to really love the program there. There are some very well known faculty as well at UVM. Let me know how it goes! I'm open to looking at places with people and I plan on going out there sometime at the end of next month or so to look at housing options.

I will definitely let you know how it goes! I'm excited! The other school I'm trying to choose between is University of Maine. How did you make your decision? Did any factors about UVM really stand out to you? :)

20 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

I definitely think you're going to love UVM when you visit. The cozy, collaborative nature of the program really stood out to me (since there are only about 18 people, everyone has the same class schedule and there is only one classroom! It's almost like being in a one-room schoolhouse). The campus and city are beautiful, and I'm really looking forward to enjoying Lake Champlain.

I've been looking at various websites with tips on renting out of state--if you can't visit in person try to get a Skype tour of the apartment, or if you know someone close have them check it out for you. Other options are trying to get a short-term lease in case the place is a nightmare.

That sounds amazing! I visited UVM for undergrad but ended up not going there. I remember LOVING the campus and Burlington! Wow only one classroom! That's pretty neat. Did you get to see the Eleanor Luse center? Did anything else stand out to you during your visit? :)

44 minutes ago, SLPeach said:

I will definitely let you know how it goes! I'm excited! The other school I'm trying to choose between is University of Maine. How did you make your decision? Did any factors about UVM really stand out to you? :)

I attended the open house I got to speak to some of the professors one on one after. They were extremely nice, friendly and approachable. They also seemed to be really supportive of their students and take into consideration what type of placements (medical, school etc..) the student wants.

They also had a few students attend the open house to help answer any questions from a student's perspective. They seemed to really love the program there.

I also want to second what bibliophile222 said. With a smaller cohort of 18 students, it seems that it ends up being a more intimate setting. The students at the open house also mentioned that there is a lot of support from your peers and it is not a competitive setting (with peers trying to best or one up each other). They said that they also hang out outside of the classroom as well. 

Edited by SLPhopeful129

9 minutes ago, SLPhopeful129 said:

I attended the open house I got to speak to some of the professors one on one after. They were extremely nice, friendly and approachable. They also seemed to be really supportive of their students and take into consideration what type of placements (medical, school etc..) the student wants.

They also had a few students attend the open house to help answer any questions from a student's perspective. They seemed to really love the program there.

I also want to second what bibliophile222 said. With a smaller cohort of 18 students, it seems that it ends up being a more intimate setting. The students at the open house also mentioned that there is a lot of support from your peers and it is not a competitive setting (with peers trying to best or one up each other). They said that they also hang out outside of the classroom as well. 

That's so great to hear! Thank you for sharing!! Do you know how many clinical hours we get the first semester or first year? I feel like the medical clinics must be amazing given the medical center right there!  There just seems to be so many exciting opportunities in this program. The only thing holding me back at this point is the money.. Out of state tuition is steep! Eeek!!

9 hours ago, SLPeach said:

That sounds amazing! I visited UVM for undergrad but ended up not going there. I remember LOVING the campus and Burlington! Wow only one classroom! That's pretty neat. Did you get to see the Eleanor Luse center? Did anything else stand out to you during your visit? :)

Yeah, I toured the Eleanor Luse Center and got to peek in one if the clinic rooms (It seemed like a decent size), the graduate workroom (lots of students were on the computers) and the only classroom. Apparently they're expanding the workspace and adding computers, which is nice. It seemed big enough but cozy at the same time. Fun fact: the building used to be the medical college in the 1800s and they performed dissections, so some people say it's haunted!

Everyone also seemed very friendly and welcoming. Good vibes all around.

23 hours ago, SLPeach said:

That's so great to hear! Thank you for sharing!! Do you know how many clinical hours we get the first semester or first year? I feel like the medical clinics must be amazing given the medical center right there!  There just seems to be so many exciting opportunities in this program. The only thing holding me back at this point is the money.. Out of state tuition is steep! Eeek!!

We get a client beginning the first semester. That is also another reason why I chose UVM. They get you going in the clinic from the get go. I'm not sure how many hours we get but it is spread out across the entire program. We will be in the clinic on campus for the first 2 semesters. 

Something I found interesting was that they don't work with the medical center at the moment unfortunately. I'm not sure why but they are in the works of bridging our program with the UVM Medical Center so fingers are crossed there! There is one semester of a medical placement incorporated into the curriculum though. However, I've heard that the coordinator works hard to get everyone placed in their preferred setting. Also, for summer we do not need to stay on campus. It is an online course so we can get placed as far as Alaska if we want. 

The tuition is definitely steep but I think this is a great school to back up the price tag (hopefully!) with all the well known faculty and the fact that we get hands on clinic hours from the very first semester. But I totally feel you since I'm from out of state as well!

On 4/2/2018 at 4:52 PM, SLPhopeful129 said:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has committed to UVM for Fall 2018 yet. I was able to visit a few weeks ago and I think I will be committing to the program within the next few days!

If so, what is everyone's living situation? I'll be moving from states over and will be needing to find a roommate and place to live. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about finding a roommate since I don't think a Facebook group has been started yet?

Hi! I'm going to go to UVM! If you want to look for housing together, I'd definitely love that! However if you already have some leads, I understand that too!