If it's looking like this year is not your year...

modernity

I just wanted to share with the forum, particularly because I have seen quite a few posts where people seem to be down on their chances/themselves. Last year I was rejected across the board. (My stats are pretty average so it wasn't entirely a surprise.) While it was incredibly depressing, I decided it was still a dream I really wanted to pursue. So I retook GREs (after actually studying), got new recommendations, and got some relevant work experience. I also reevaluated the schools and programs I was applying to for a better fit, and spent many many hours on my SOP. I finally got good news this week. I am in at two schools so far - and one has even offered me a TAship. So, while I know its crushing that things didn't go well this application round - do NOT let it ruin things for you!! Keep your head up - you are intelligent, there are things you can change about application to make it better, and the graduate admissions process is part luck anyway. Please do not let it discourage you.

Last year was a nightmare for me. Rejections pretty much across the board and schools interested but will not fully accept me because I was missing my 3rd LOR. I almost let this happen to me again this year, but I found someone else to write a LOR for me last minute. This year, I have been fully admitted to 2 schools instead of conditionally admitted because of the missing LOR.

I am excited by all the possibilities that have opened up because I got rejected.

Perhaps a better school than what I had hoped for is achievable round the corner

That's actually what happened to me this time around. I discovered a program for this application year which is an absolute perfect fit for me and is within reasonable reach. I hope the same thing happens to you and maybe you'll find opportunities to strengthen your application for the next application year.

I just wanted to share with the forum, particularly because I have seen quite a few posts where people seem to be down on their chances/themselves. Last year I was rejected across the board. (My stats are pretty average so it wasn't entirely a surprise.) While it was incredibly depressing, I decided it was still a dream I really wanted to pursue. So I retook GREs (after actually studying), got new recommendations, and got some relevant work experience. I also reevaluated the schools and programs I was applying to for a better fit, and spent many many hours on my SOP. I finally got good news this week. I am in at two schools so far - and one has even offered me a TAship. So, while I know its crushing that things didn't go well this application round - do NOT let it ruin things for you!! Keep your head up - you are intelligent, there are things you can change about application to make it better, and the graduate admissions process is part luck anyway. Please do not let it discourage you.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I feel that if I'm not admitted anywhere this fall, I am prepared to do better job with polishing my applications as well as more time to search for other exciting programs, since after this spring I won't have school to worry about, as I'm graduating. Thank you again for the encouragement!