UCF

S-Kyo

On 3/29/2013 at 10:49 PM, Tess1281 said:

Yea

Yeah I took the risk with the case, I believe they took one person last year...I am doing the security studies program at UCF, they offered a great financial package, and the department seems really great. I am really looking forward to being Orlando next year.

Hi,

I know that you posted it in 2013, but are you still in UCF- Security Studies? May I ask how much is the stipend in UCF? Is it really "great financial package"

On 2/21/2018 at 11:08 AM, CPRel said:

Hi,

I know that you posted it in 2013, but are you still in UCF- Security Studies? May I ask how much is the stipend in UCF? Is it really "great financial package"

I know it is around 20k with summer funding.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 11:24 PM, The Orient said:

I know it is around 20k with summer funding.

Hi again,

Is it enough for a married student (international) for a modest life? If not, what would be “enough” for Orlando  23k? 25k? or more... 

I got accepted by UCF and as you said they offer 20k/year which seems not really enough. Renting prices make the job complicated.

2 hours ago, CPRel said:

Hi again,

Is it enough for a married student (international) for a modest life? If not, what would be “enough” for Orlando  23k? 25k? or more... 

I got accepted by UCF and as you said they offer 20k/year which seems not really enough. Renting prices make the job complicated.

If I understand the comment correctly, it is 20k + summer funding. When you add the summer funding you are close to 23-25K. 

I'm never been to FSU, but I know that the area is very cheap; probably cheaper than Orlando. 

If you care about academics, FSU is a much better department than UCF. At least they train their students well and they've had some decent placements and even some great placements. 

I don't know about your married situation, though; F-1 visa does not allow your dependent to work so your significant other does not have many choices. 

No, with summer funding 20k unfortunately. It is not enough it seems. UCF is not my best choice, I am waiting to hear from several schools. I did not apply for FSU. 

On 3/9/2018 at 5:03 PM, CPRel said:

Hi again,

Hi, 

Depending on your expectations/spending habits, I think 20k is an OK funding for Orlando. In general, I would say that Orlando is not an expensive city.  You will have a stipend around $1600 per month and you pay $1000 for rent(1 bedroom apartment)+ bills and try to make your living with the rest of money. I know some married international students with the same amount of funding and they are able to continue. Of course, you try to live on bare minimum but it is what the graduate life is about. 

I know people from the Security Studies program and they are generally happy about it. Of course the program is neither good ranked nor reputable but they say that the faculty is pretty good and the student/faculty ratio is very low. They say that the faculty cares about the students. Also, Orlando is home to many intelligence/military related companies(e.g. Lockheed martin) if it is your thing.

In summary, my perception of UCF is positive and I would suggest you go there if it is your best choice. 

1 hour ago, The Orient said:

Also, Orlando is home to many intelligence/military related companies(e.g. Lockheed martin) if it is your thing.

They require security clearances to work and the person asking the question is from another country -- thus, no security clearance. 

22 hours ago, The Orient said:

Hi, 

Depending on your expectations/spending habits, I think 20k is an OK funding for Orlando. In general, I would say that Orlando is not an expensive city.  You will have a stipend around $1600 per month and you pay $1000 for rent(1 bedroom apartment)+ bills and try to make your living with the rest of money. I know some married international students with the same amount of funding and they are able to continue. Of course, you try to live on bare minimum but it is what the graduate life is about. 

I know people from the Security Studies program and they are generally happy about it. Of course the program is neither good ranked nor reputable but they say that the faculty is pretty good and the student/faculty ratio is very low. They say that the faculty cares about the students. Also, Orlando is home to many intelligence/military related companies(e.g. Lockheed martin) if it is your thing.

In summary, my perception of UCF is positive and I would suggest you go there if it is your best choice. 

Thank you @The Orient, I really appreciate your help. It is good to hear positive comments about life in Orlando. I am looking for a modest life there, so hopefully the stipend will be enough. I will also bring some money with me. 

UCF is not my best choice but overall it does have great scholars. I am waiting from other schools, if I am not accepted then I’ll certainly go to UCF. 

22 hours ago, MrsPhD said:

They require security clearances to work and the person asking the question is from another country -- thus, no security clearance. 

Thank you @MrsPhD you are right on that point. @CPRel  you should be aware that these companies generally ask for security clearance and it is highly unlikely you will have it as an international student. However, I know that the program has strong links with the intelligence community, so they might help you to connect with the intelligence think-tanks, institutions, centers etc.  

Edited by The Orient

1 hour ago, CPRel said:

Thank you @The Orient, I really appreciate your help. It is good to hear positive comments about life in Orlando. I am looking for a modest life there, so hopefully the stipend will be enough. I will also bring some money with me. 

UCF is not my best choice but overall it does have great scholars. I am waiting from other schools, if I am not accepted then I’ll certainly go to UCF. 

You're welcome, I hope you the best!