I am interested in studying American politics (specifically political psychology). Should I apply to UCLA, Northwestern, Washington University in St. Louis or the University of Michigan? If admitted to one of these schools, which one should I choose? What is the important thing to consider when deciding what graduate school to attend? Is it faculty fit? The overall quality of the program? Placement record? Resources available at the University? The funding package? How the graduate students get along with each other? Is it the program flexibility? 

Any insights on these topics? 

Thanks! 

If you apply to all top 10 programs, which it sounds like is the range you're considering from the schools you mention, you don't really need to worry about funding. You will be fully funded. Job placement will be about the same for most of them. Your primary focus should be determining fit. For your interests, Michigan is almost certainly the best, though you should also give Columbia, Stanford and UNC a look. If you want some "safety" schools that are good in that research area, I'd look into Minnesota and Stonybrook. 

@NCPolPsych -- If you had to choose between UCLA, Northwestern and the University of Minnesota, which one would you choose? And why? 

10 minutes ago, NCPolPsych said:

If you apply to all top 10 programs, which it sounds like is the range you're considering from the schools you mention, you don't really need to worry about funding. You will be fully funded. Job placement will be about the same for most of them. Your primary focus should be determining fit. For your interests, Michigan is almost certainly the best, though you should also give Columbia, Stanford and UNC a look. If you want some "safety" schools that are good in that research area, I'd look into Minnesota and Stonybrook. 

1 hour ago, PoliPsy said:

@NCPolPsych -- If you had to choose between UCLA, Northwestern and the University of Minnesota, which one would you choose? And why? 

That's a tough one. For you and I, doing political psychology, Northwestern is not as focused on our subfield as the other two. So I would narrow the list that way. Then, on one hand, UCLA has better placements. On the other, Minnesota has traditionally had more of a focus on pure political psychology (rather than just behavior, generally understood).  Also at Minny you may be more competitive for more grants and fellowships, as there is a slightly less competitive pool of students. 

1 hour ago, NCPolPsych said:

o I would narrow the list that way. Then, on one hand, UCLA has better placements. On the other, Minnesota has traditionally had more of a focus on pure political psychology (rather than just behavior, genera

@NCPolPsych I know Northwestern does not focus on our subfield, but they do have Jamie Druckman, which I heard is a great advisor and a very productive researcher.  I also heard that UCLA is getting a new professor who does Political Psychology, but he specializes in Latino Politics. So, does that change at all your response? 

I feel like you're doing it backwards.

Apply to 8-14 programs where you have multiple people you could work with, have good placement, and are preferably highly ranked.

Dont worry about the questions you asked in the OP until or IF you get acceptances.

Also, even if you study political psychology you don't have to go to programs that are traditionally really focused on that. Just apply to the best programs possible that are decent fits, including places like Minnesota and Michigan.

Edited by Comparativist

13 hours ago, Comparativist said:

I feel like you're doing it backwards.

Apply to 8-14 programs where you have multiple people you could work with, have good placement, and are preferably highly ranked.

Dont worry about the questions you asked in the OP until or IF you get acceptances.

Also, even if you study political psychology you don't have to go to programs that are traditionally really focused on that. Just apply to the best programs possible that are decent fits, including places like Minnesota and Michigan.

@Comparativist What if I told you that I have already been accepted to the places that I listed?

Last time I checked, UCLA doesn't guarantee funding for everyone. Even when you do get funding from the department, it's going to be tight living in LA. I don't know why you would consider Northwestern and Minnesota given your options. Michigan is probably the best overall but its faculty are not as focused on political psychology. So I guess you should aim for Stanford.

Edited by Stdrauss

On 4/6/2018 at 4:04 PM, PoliPsy said:

@NCPolPsych I know Northwestern does not focus on our subfield, but they do have Jamie Druckman, which I heard is a great advisor and a very productive researcher.  I also heard that UCLA is getting a new professor who does Political Psychology, but he specializes in Latino Politics. So, does that change at all your response? 

Druckman is an absolutely a WONDERFUL, literal genius scholar. This was my bad for not even remembering he was there. Though I would suggest not pinning your hopes to one prof-- people take job offers, etc.

On 4/7/2018 at 7:58 PM, NCPolPsych said:

Druckman is an absolutely a WONDERFUL, literal genius scholar. This was my bad for not even remembering he was there. Though I would suggest not pinning your hopes to one prof-- people take job offers, etc.

One good professor is not going to change the fact that the Northwestern program in AP is not as good as the other ones you are considering. Also, with Political Psychology, you need a strong methods training and Northwestern does not have that (Northwestern is strong in CP qualitative, not what you need, and there is that quant/qual divide). 

WashU is strong in political psychology; you'd have a lot of people to work with and professors sometimes co-author with graduate students (I remember seeing one paper on AJPS recently). Their methods training is a bit lacking compared to UCLA, but better than Northwestern. They've had a very good placement record in the past couple of years.

UCLA has better methods training. However, they have less people on political psychology and more professors working on public opinion.  The professor you mention that is moving there is going to be an associate; he does political psychology, but also race/minority politics -- which seems to be a strong area at UCLA or at least they had a lot of ABDs on the market. If you like race/minority politics, that would be something to take into account. If you want to do something at an intersection of psych and public opinion, then UCLA could be a good place too. 

You are also considering Michigan? It has great methods training. I tend to relate Michigan more to institutions/bureaucracy, etc. But that is probably because I haven't seen who else is there in a while. You should check out who you could work with and definitely consider it; ranking of the institution matters.