MIT ME masters or GaTech Robotics PhD

71mt

I am trying to decide between a funded masters in mechanical engineering at MIT or a PhD in Robotics at Georgia Tech (I received a fellowship).  Any advice on which would be better for getting an industry job in robotics?  I realize I could always do the master's at MIT and continue for my PhD later but I am worried about being successful at MIT based on how difficult it is.  It might just be impostor syndrome but I am shocked I even got into MIT and would probably be at the bottom of the intelligence spectrum there. 

Well I can't help you with your title question, but at least I can inform you that you aren't the only one with MIT impostor syndrome! I'm visiting Stanford right now trying to decide between Stanford or MIT MSME. I was similarly shocked that MIT wanted me, and things just keep getting crazier: I now have two MIT professors offering me projects that sound really cool, and I worry a ton about whether I'll actually stand up to the expectations they have for me as an MIT admit. I'm seriously tempted to take the expensive, quicker, thesis-free (safer) Stanford option that probably won't lead to a PhD, instead of the intense-sounding MIT MS that could easily become an epic PhD if I end up having what it takes (and enjoy research more than I believe I will...) or could suck really bad for 2 years if I don't have what it takes....

Thanks for your reply, dag89! It certainly helps to know I am not the only one in this situation.  You expressed exactly how I feel when you said you worry about whether you will stand up to expectations.  I don't want to turn down the offer solely for that reason, but it certainly makes me more nervous to accept.  I also know a lot of people would kill for this opportunity.