SLP Pre-Requisite Programs w/o Financial Aid

Did anyone take leveling courses at a school that did not have financial aid? Did you pay out of pocket or take a private loan?  I called UH Manoa and was told by someone in their financial aid office it  would be covered and then come to find out in an email there is no is financial aid for the SLP PCP.

If you take individual courses you'll have to pay out of pocket or get a private loan, but some programs offer the post bacc as a certificate program, meaning you're at least eligible for federal loans, if that's what you're referring to? I don't know of any programs that offer school-based aid, like grants or scholarships.

If you only need a couple courses it would make more sense to find the cheapest program you can and pay out of pocket, but either way I'd recommend online programs. I'm getting my post bacc as a certificate program through Pacific University and paying for it with federal loans.

46 minutes ago, bibliophile222 said:

If you take individual courses you'll have to pay out of pocket or get a private loan, but some programs offer the post bacc as a certificate program, meaning you're at least eligible for federal loans, if that's what you're referring to? I don't know of any programs that offer school-based aid, like grants or scholarships.

If you only need a couple courses it would make more sense to find the cheapest program you can and pay out of pocket, but either way I'd recommend online programs. I'm getting my post bacc as a certificate program through Pacific University and paying for it with federal loans.

Thank you. I will check out Pacific University and I am definitely  doing online classes. I have a BA in psychology so I need more than a few classes. Some of the pre-req programs I looked into have federal loans and some do not-SDSU and UH Manoa do not. CSUSM does BUT I discovered their program too late to begin with the 2018 cohort.

Ohio State does have financial aid  but the extended learning classes for SLP leveling  are only offered in the summer institute and it is not possible to take all of the courses in the summer. I would prefer to take the majority of my classes at one school and then pick up a couple of classes I need at another school. 

1 hour ago, SoCali said:

Did anyone take leveling courses at a school that did not have financial aid? Did you pay out of pocket or take a private loan?  I called UH Manoa and was told by someone in their financial aid office it  would be covered and then come to find out in an email there is no is financial aid for the SLP PCP.

I know the federal loan allowance for post-bacc students isn't very high ($12,500 annually).

I ended up taking out a personal loan. I was lucky that my credit union just recently started a student loan program, and I was able to get a decent rate by cosigning with my dad. (It's serviced through a company called LendKey, and the interest is fixed around 6%).

I do have to pay some now, but it's only $25/month while I'm in school. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking classes online at Utah State University since I am not a full-time student and already have a bachelor's I do not qualify for financial aid. I work full time so that's how I've been paying for my courses. I recently got a credit card that offered me no interest charged until after 15 months I've been putting my term bill to that and paying it off before the next semester. However bc of this I can only take 2 classes at a time. The classes im taking are all online and cost about 1k per course which are 3 credits

On 4/17/2018 at 10:39 PM, SoCali said:

I was working at the time and personally paid out of pocket for my classes.  The post bacc classes aren't nearly as much as grad school so it's more doable.  I would recommend trying to pay out of pocket if you can, especially since you'll have to take loans for grad school. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 12:59 PM, msalguero92 said:

I'm taking classes online at Utah State University since I am not a full-time student and already have a bachelor's I do not qualify for financial aid. I work full time so that's how I've been paying for my courses. I recently got a credit card that offered me no interest charged until after 15 months I've been putting my term bill to that and paying it off before the next semester. However bc of this I can only take 2 classes at a time. The classes im taking are all online and cost about 1k per course which are 3 credits

Thank you!

On 5/2/2018 at 9:15 AM, WesttoEast18 said:

I was working at the time and personally paid out of pocket for my classes.  The post bacc classes aren't nearly as much as grad school so it's more doable.  I would recommend trying to pay out of pocket if you can, especially since you'll have to take loans for grad school. 

Thank you. I am going to be paying out of pocket and doing a payment plan.