Lacking the core course (Chemistry)

kd01152

Hello everyone,

I am a rising senior studying at a small liberal arts college where I major in Physical Sciences with a focus in Chemistry.

I hope to study total synthesis in graduate school and have started working towards that goal. I have taken p.chem, inorg, and organometallics.

However, I have not taken Ochem. Now, here is the catch, I was the TA for the course and carried out tutorial classes with them. In the fall, I would be taking retrosynthesis course.

I know it sounds odd. However, would it hurt my chance?

## I have 4.5/5 GPA, done 2 summer research projects. I have spent additional 4 semesters doing research. Next year, I am going to do a senior thesis (just took GRE Chem last week!)

Thank you

How have you not taken OChem? It's usually a requirement for upper level courses, especially something like retrosynthesis. Did you place out of it?

Also, are you in the US? 5.0 GPA scales are really uncommon here. 

@Eigen

I have studied the material in my high school. Further, because I took Organometallics Chemistry which had a mechanistic approach, I was allowed to skip it. I did an independent project course instead.

I am not based in the US :)

Edited by kd01152
Minor wording correction

If you've taken it, I wouldn't worry that you haven't taken it at the college level. 

If you wanted, you could always see about taking the ACS organic exam to make sure you're familiar with all the material. 

The retrosynthesis classes itself should probably do, alongside your TA in ochem. However, I would strongly advise you freshen up on your Ochem before taking the class (especially if you've skipped mechanisms in organometallics). The class will probably assume you know a lot of the basics, and may or may not draw out every single mechanism or resonance when covering reactions. I would also strongly advise doing some type of synthetic research (I don't know if your summer projects or research where in this field). The retrosynthesis classes combined with TAing in OChem (very interesting you were allowed to TA a class you didn't take) should be enough to prove that you know OChem, and the lab will prove you know how to actually use it (chemistry on paper and in the lab are day and night differences). Add the Chem GRE and you should have no concerns. 

The only thing you may need to be aware of is a lot of grad schools do have specific criteria (i.e. you need to have taken class X). Now considering your experience and background, they may end up overriding that requirement and state you don't need the class to get in. So just something to be aware of.