MLIS job prospect?

Hi everybody!

I was thinking of retraining and getting into LIS field (have a BA in Art History and MA in Cultural Management from non-US universities, with experience in museums, non-profits project work and curating).

The thing is, this time I need to be very careful in choosing next studies/career, because I want to avoid being unemployed or underpaid again :wacko:

So, what are the odds of getting a job in the field after an MA? How is the job market for librarians and related professions?

P.S. Been reading data from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/librarians.htm, but interested to hear your experience ^_^

My understanding is that it helps if you're willing to move for a job. The librarians I work with have all encouraged me to conduct a wide search once I have my MLIS. If you're not tied to one geographic area then you will certainly have more options. I know that personally it took me several attempts to land a para position in an academic library, but I am also tied to my current city for the next year or two. 

Edited by catsbloom

Thanks @catsbloom, I guess mobility is important, and I'm also eyeing a couple of locations of interest at the same time... Which MLIS degree you have?

There's a nice research done here analyzing the market vs studies: http://www.inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe.org/2011/is-the-united-states-training-too-many-librarians-or-too-few-part-1/  

Edited by tunic_youth
bigger font