Apartment Searching Sites

samman1994

4 hours ago, samman1994 said:

@TakeruK

I have am not a light sleeper, but extremely sensitive when it comes to falling asleep. Even car doors can wake me up, and then I have to go through the cycle of falling asleep again. My main issue is actually psychological. I.E. I develop some type of PTSD where I become very sensitive to any type of sound (even car doors slamming), and am constantly afraid of trying to fall asleep only to jump awake at neighbohrs suddenly walking or yelling really loud next door/upstairs. This means that even days when they aren't making sounds, I am in the fear that they will, and it just causes a lot of unnecessary stress.   

That sucks! I know a bit about how you feel, minus the anxiety/PTSD aspect. I'm very sensitive to sound when I'm trying to get to sleep. I'm sorry if a bunch of people have already asked this and you're sick of hearing it, but have you tried ear plugs? I've been sleeping with ear plugs for almost half my life now and they work pretty well. You can still hear sounds close to you, like an alarm clock, but the farther away the sound is the more it is muffled. I also have a fan blasting on me and the combination is great. I almost always sleep through thunderstorms and can't hear things like car doors at all. 

Yeah, with ear plugs and a fan I won't hear car doors or the sorts, but I still hear my neighbors talking or walking upstairs. I've moved out from that place now, so I don't have that issue anymore. I still use a fan just for the street noise though. 

@samman1994, if you are so sensitive to noise, then it really might make sense to look into a house or, if not that, a townhouse/duplex (e.g., where you share a wall with your neighbors but there isn't anyone above you), especially if it could be within your budget.

1 hour ago, rising_star said:

@samman1994, if you are so sensitive to noise, then it really might make sense to look into a house or, if not that, a townhouse/duplex (e.g., where you share a wall with your neighbors but there isn't anyone above you), especially if it could be within your budget.

Really depends on the house. There are some really bad houses (worse insulation than apartments). You might not have upstairs neighbors anymore, but if the insulation is really bad, the sound outside might be just as bad. Most of the houses I've seen are not exactly in the best part of towns, and the complaints of the apartments nearby are all about people playing loud music outside or the sorts (most of the houses or old in the "ghetto" part of the neighborhood). I still have a lot of searching to do though since I've been focusing mainly on apartments so far, so if I find a house in the middle of nowhere that's affordable, I'd definitely take it. 

• 2 weeks later...