Are you still waiting like me? (PhD applicants)

S-Kyo

Hey!

I am still waiting for a funding package from a university. (They were accepted me but waitlisted for funding)  

DGS told me that they were waiting to hear from two students who were considering their funding packages. So it seems, in order to receive fund, one of those students has to decline the offer. 

BUT how can a school wait for so long (2 weeks) after April 15 from a student?  And how can a student wait for so long to give a decision? 

DGS told me last week she will inform me either on Monday or Tuesday, which we already past. I emailed her on Tuesday and she has not replied. 

I do not know what to do, and I am really tired of waiting. 

What do you think guys, anyone has the same situation?  

Edited by S-Kyo

So if both of those students accept the funding offers does that mean there is no funding for you?  Would you attend without funding?  I would definitely reach out to the DGS again and hope they have an answer because its really hard for you to plan anything without clear info from them.

20 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

So if both of those students accept the funding offers does that mean there is no funding for you?  Would you attend without funding?  I would definitely reach out to the DGS again and hope they have an answer because its really hard for you to plan anything without clear info from them.

No, I would not go without funding. Yes, if both students accept, they cannot give me funding. My situation depends on their decision :) I already have a funded offer from another school but, the school that I am waiting is my best choice. If that school gives funding I will change my decision. I emailed DGS too much I guess. She told me she would give an answer on Monday or Tuesday but she did not, and I emailed her on Tuesday and still, she did not reply. So I understand that she may wait for the two students for their decisions. It seems that two students are their best students and they really want to have them, that is why they give such an extension after April 15. That is my judgment. Or she just waits me to give up to wait for the funding. :) 

Anyway, I hope the waiting game ends this week. 

Edited by S-Kyo

11 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Ultimately it is up to you how patient you're willing to be, but keep in mind the other school that gave you a funded offer may not be willing to wait too much longer.

Yes, that is the problem...

how are you guys hanging in there? I feel like there's not many people left in this forum since they probably all moved onto 'decisions, decisions". haha

let's hang in there guys! 

I just got another email from the school I'm waiting on that I'll be hearing back "very soon"... wish i knew when that was haha

• 1 month later...

I applied to a PhD scholarship in the Sustainability Institute of Newcastle University, UK. My application is still under review. It is already 4.5 months past the application deadline. I have been following up with the PG admissions department for more than 2.5 months now without any luck. It has been very very frustrating !! Anybody out there who has heard back for any of the scholarships in Newcastle? Is anyone facing similar issues or it's just me !! :(