How do I qualify myself as a Phd in Statistics at Stanford University?

Hieu Nguyen

Question

Hello everyone,

I am a junior at a large public school in Minnesota and I am interested in applying for a Phd in Statistics at Stanford University.

I am interested in working in the Data Science field and I am thinking of applying for Stanford MS in Data Science since obtaining an advanced degree in either statistics or data science will further my understanding as well as equip me with more tools to work in the data science field.
Unfortunately, Stanford as well as many other institutions does not offer funding for master candidates.
Do you think it is worth obtaining a Phd program or I will be better off pursuing a master program?
If you think whether it is worth pursing a Phd program, how can I qualify myself as a Phd candidate? Should I choose a research paper to work on?
I will graduate in the Fall of 2019 and I am working full time this summer as a Data Analyst. 
Thank you.

1 answer to this question

If you attend a Ph.D. program with no intention of continuing past an MS it will probably burn bridges.  You might have trouble getting recommendations.  Secondly,  Stanford's Statistics Ph.D. program is arguably the best in the country.  It is incredibly difficult to get in, even for the very best candidates in the world.  To even be on the level of getting into Stanford you would ideally already have a manuscript or extensive research experience, a masters degree (a theoretical one) would be preferred, a near perfect GPA,  a near perfect GRE general and high GRE math subject test,  amazing rec letters, and chance.  Go to the Mathematics and Statistics subforum and fill out a profile evaluation so we can judge your chances.  The problem with leaving PhD programs is that you aren't going to be taking a lot of applied coursework in your first two years.  It's not the same thing as a doing an applied MS.  If you make it through the first two years you would have the statistical background to learn applied statistics but you would probably be better off doing a masters program and paying for it.  If you are a domestic student there are some places where TA funding for masters students is available based on past grad cafe results(Virginia Tech, Missouri, Iowa State).  There are a lot of one-year data science programs,  while it will typically take two years in a Ph.D. program to get an MS.  That extra year of work would probably make up for some of the costs of the master's degree.