UMich Ford School

dagger

So are we all going to the Ford admitted students weekend? I will be there Saturday hopefully but can't make the Friday session, which is a shame because that is the more interesting-stuff-packed of the two.

Like magic, just got an e-mail from Ford. No funding for me. sad.gif But extremely helpful links in terms of signing up to be a GSI and additional sources of income. Very happy overall with the resources provided, even if there was no actual money to be had.

Like magic, just got an e-mail from Ford. No funding for me. sad.gif But extremely helpful links in terms of signing up to be a GSI and additional sources of income. Very happy overall with the resources provided, even if there was no actual money to be had.

Yeah, not bad eh? Glad that question was answered. Now I can pursue a GSI with even more motivation (yay?)! rolleyes.gif The whole funding picture is becoming clearer everyday.

Yeah, not bad eh? Glad that question was answered. Now I can pursue a GSI with even more motivation (yay?)! rolleyes.gif The whole funding picture is becoming clearer everyday.

I'm in the same boat, no funding. I don't feel particularly confident about the GSI links - after speaking with a recent graduate of the MPP program, she reported that they are extremely competitive. Do you think that those of us who haven't completed any MPP courses yet even have a shot? I would think that getting one for the first semester is next to impossible.

I feel despondent - I'd really focused on Ford as my top choice over the past week, but this has made everything oh-so-confusing and difficult yet again. Relying on GSI positions for funding seems like such a huge risk.

Honestly, I don't know at all. Reading the GSI descriptions I made the same assumption that you did about us not being competitive as first year students. I'm interested to know if there is any merit based funding for second year students and how many students are newly funded, externally or by the institution, in their second year.

I'm in the same boat, no funding. I don't feel particularly confident about the GSI links - after speaking with a recent graduate of the MPP program, she reported that they are extremely competitive. Do you think that those of us who haven't completed any MPP courses yet even have a shot? I would think that getting one for the first semester is next to impossible.

I feel despondent - I'd really focused on Ford as my top choice over the past week, but this has made everything oh-so-confusing and difficult yet again. Relying on GSI positions for funding seems like such a huge risk.

Yeah, any school becomes an extremely tough choice without funding. GSI spots are definitely competitive. Perhaps you'd have a better shot at getting a GSI position for a course in your undergraduate area of expertise, at least until you've completed some of the MPP programs. Also, the broad undergrad feeder courses, like the Intros to Micro and the Undergrad Writing Requirements are going to need the most GSI anyways. I would imagine, especially for those very basic courses (like the UG writing requirement) many students are taking for their cores, they'd be open to pulling from a variety of backgrounds.

Still, there are many places to work off-campus in Ann Arbor, if everything else falls through. Ford for me should end up being $40K more expensive than my best offer but I'm definitely leaning towards making that investment.

Edited by coakleym

This is a really good discussion. Like tgoldring, I'm pretty frustrated that cost is the only factor stopping me from accepting the admission offer.

I was an English major as an undergraduate, and I feel confident that I'd be a competent grader/GSI for an undergraduate English course, but I am concerned about the level of competition I'd face from English grad students (especially Ph.D. candidates). I'd really hate to pin my funding hopes on something as tenuous as that (I'm probably still going to apply).

I'd say with no funding, and the money I have saved, I'm looking at $75,000 in loans -- maybe $60,000 if I can acquire funding or a teaching position my second year. Is this a worthwhile investment? I hadn't considered the prospect of taking out more than $50,000 in loans from a non-Ivy (other than Georgetown).

I also have to consider that I could get an MPP from UCLA for less than half the debt load and a similar degree from Heinz for about 1/3 the debt load. But Ford is definitely my top choice right now.

This is a really good discussion. Like tgoldring, I'm pretty frustrated that cost is the only factor stopping me from accepting the admission offer.

I was an English major as an undergraduate, and I feel confident that I'd be a competent grader/GSI for an undergraduate English course, but I am concerned about the level of competition I'd face from English grad students (especially Ph.D. candidates). I'd really hate to pin my funding hopes on something as tenuous as that (I'm probably still going to apply).

I'd say with no funding, and the money I have saved, I'm looking at $75,000 in loans -- maybe $60,000 if I can acquire funding or a teaching position my second year. Is this a worthwhile investment? I hadn't considered the prospect of taking out more than $50,000 in loans from a non-Ivy (other than Georgetown).

I also have to consider that I could get an MPP from UCLA for less than half the debt load and a similar degree from Heinz for about 1/3 the debt load. But Ford is definitely my top choice right now.

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. This is a tough decision. Like you all, I have offers from other schools which include partial funding. But I think Michigan is the best curriculum for my needs (in particular, its quantitative focus). Another of my offers, Georgetown, may also be strong in that regard, but the cost of living in DC scares me!

I appreciate that there are non-university jobs available in Ann Arbor, but it's the benefits (part- or full-tuition waive, insurance) of a GSI position that make them so attractive. Unfortunately, with no funding and no savings (my wife is a first yr med student at Pitt - all of my current earnings are swallowed up there!), the remuneration from a non-university job would be a drop in the ocean (not that every little helps!).

One of my ex-colleagues started her MPP at Ford this academic year, and another colleague graduated from the Ford MPP last summer. The girl currently at Ford also received no aid for this academic year, and told me that they have sharply reduced awards in recent years (not that Ford is ever in the same league as some other programs!). My colleague who graduated from the program did get some funding. Initially she received a little, but she emailed and phoned Beth at admissions, attended the Open House, and they increased her funding a little. I think that may be the best strategy at this point. Now I need to decide whether to drop $300 for round-trip tickets to Detroit from the Bay Area!

Incidentally, my friend who began the program this year, without funding, is pushing to complete it in 3 semesters. That way, she will save an entire semester of tuition. May be worth considering, although I'm loathe to reduce my time at Michigan!

Great points and I too am enjoying this discussion because it's good to know others are dealing with the same issues and approaching them in similar ways (as opposed to the many threads I've seen with knee-jerk reactions one way or the other -- you should see the MBA message boards.)

I couldn't help but throw out one quick question, tgoldring. Why isn't Carnegie Mellon on the top of your list if your S.O.'s at Pitt? It seems like CMU has a quantitative focus to rival Ford, a wider range of course offerings from term to term (at least that was what I thought when I reviewed the curricula recently), and you and your partner could save money in Pittsburgh if you lived together (is that an option for you)?

I personally am leaning toward Ford over CMU + $ because I noticed a difference in some post-graduate work opportunities (Ford's career office looked like it was really helping students land some good positions whereas I was unsure of whether CMU's was working as hard), because the students I've seen at Ford impressed me a little more, because Ann Arbor's amazing -- but most of all because it's a quick train ride away from my S.O. in Chicago.

I mean I wouldn't push one way or another and I myself would probably choose Ford over Heinz but just curious if you preferred Michigan for the same reasons or for others.

Edited by coakleym

Great points and I too am enjoying this discussion because it's good to know others are dealing with the same issues and approaching them in similar ways (as opposed to the many threads I've seen with knee-jerk reactions one way or the other -- you should see the MBA message boards.)

I couldn't help but throw out one quick question, tgoldring. Why isn't Carnegie Mellon on the top of your list if your S.O.'s at Pitt? It seems like CMU has a quantitative focus to rival Ford, a wider range of course offerings from term to term (at least that was what I thought when I reviewed the curricula recently), and you and your partner could save money in Pittsburgh if you lived together (is that an option for you)?

I personally am leaning toward Ford over CMU + $ because I noticed a difference in some post-graduate work opportunities (Ford's career office looked like it was really helping students land some good positions whereas I was unsure of whether CMU's was working as hard), because the students I've seen at Ford impressed me a little more, because Ann Arbor's amazing -- but most of all because it's a quick train ride away from my S.O. in Chicago.

I mean I wouldn't push one way or another and I myself would probably choose Ford over Heinz but just curious if you preferred Michigan for the same reasons or for others.

You ask a very good question about my S.O., and one I've been wrestling with ever since I got the Heinz MSPPM offer in February! Yes, I could live with my wife in Pittsburgh. She even just lined up a nice house in Shadyside for next year. I'm British, and moved to America to get married in 2008 after 3 years of long distance relationship (and am currently doing long distance between the Bay Area (where I work as an RA for a public policy evaluation firm) to Pittsburgh). I know how much long distance sucks - I definitely don't take this decision lightly!

I don't want to bore you with all this, so I'll try to be as succinct as possible. I think my long-term plan is to go on to do a PhD in either public policy or economics. These are my reasons for tentatively favoring Ford (and Georgetown) over CMU, in rough order of importance:

• Quant focus - I perceived more of a quant focus at Ford or Georgetown, whereas Heinz has a fair number of management, finance, and practical core courses. Will doctoral programs prefer quantitatively based curricula over an MSPPM?
  • Elective options - great range of options at Michigan, including education policy courses at Ford and the School of Education, a particular interest of mine.
  • Employment opportunities - my thoughts are exactly the same as yours in this regard.
  • Location - I personally prefer Ann Arbor to Pittsburgh as the location.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm so hung up over Heinz. Do you really think it's just as quantitative as other schools? I'm just concerned that future PhD application committees will favor the straight MPP over the management courses at Heinz. Plus, I personally prefer leaving the management courses to one side!

This decision is starting to weigh down on me like a lead balloon! I thought this would be the fun part :blink:

Edited by tgoldring

Well, for those of you still deciding between FSPP and other (potentially cheaper) schools, have you made any progress?

I'm still at $75,000 in loans (if I get nothing second year), which is pretty daunting. I feel like I'm okay for the first year since I am bringing in savings and help from family. It is the second year that is driving up the costs.

But I wonder...I didn't really try for external scholarships since I was so frazzled with applications, work, etc. But now that I see how important funding is, I wonder if it will be possible to apply for funding next Fall/Spring (external, federal, or other sources). I'd really only need about $10,000...and if I can get a research or teaching position one semester, I'm in really good shape ($60,000 is reasonable for me since that is what I expect to make after graduation...it is also within the threshold of what I'd be willing to carry with me to a PhD if I go that route later on).

Any thoughts on whether applying for external funding while in the middle of a program is doable? Success stories from friends or colleagues?

Also, has anyone talked to Ford to see how likely it is that people get teaching and research positions? And what kind of tips they have for being prepared to compete in 2011? I'll be attending the Campus Day or whatever it is called, so I can ask then...

Thanks in advance for your responses!