UMich Ford School

dagger

According to whom?

The last two years, according to the results search, they went out around the middle of the second week of March.

For some reason I'm scared about the impending results from Ford when I would never imagined I would be when I applied. I guess it's because I've only received one acceptance out of 4 so far. SIPA didn't tell me anything last week regarding my status. Hopefully, they'll give me a clear 'yes' or 'no'. The last thing I want is a longer wait.

Ah! Do you know if it's going to be via email or snail mail?

Last year they were sent out via e-mail.

According to whom?

The last two years, according to the results search, they went out around the middle of the second week of March.

For some reason I'm scared about the impending results from Ford when I would never imagined I would be when I applied. I guess it's because I've only received one acceptance out of 4 so far. SIPA didn't tell me anything last week regarding my status. Hopefully, they'll give me a clear 'yes' or 'no'. The last thing I want is a longer wait.

Current students received an e-mail with the following text:

"Well, that time is here again as the Ford School is sending out decision letters this week."

The text was located within an e-mail notifying us that we can sign up to call accepted students next week. I may be calling some of you. :)

@Dagger - How is Ford? I mean, do you feel you've gotten a great experience there (both academically and otherwise)? How are you funded? Do you know of TA/RA opportunities and how common they are?

Also, do you take advantage of the free language classes? How does that work? Do they just let you audit for free?

Thanks Dagger. Good information!

@Sushitooth - Ford has a wait list. So, no, it won't necessairly be a clearcut answer.

Hey, thanks. And just to be sure, what exactly is a wait list? They tell you that you have been placed on a wait list, and this means that they are not sure yet about you, and will wait to hear back from some of the people they have accepted in order to make a final decision on you?

If you are wait-listed it essentially means that they liked you as a candidate but not more than the people they outright offered admission to and that you would be admitted if someone who was initially accepted into the program declined the offer. You may be ranked on the wait-list or they may reevaluate every time a new space opens up. You are not rejected, at least, though you might be in for a wait as long as July or August. You will likely be left out of any discussion for funding. I don't think being wait-listed is much consolation unless you only applied to only one school or the school that has wait-listed you is your absolute first choice. Either way, be prepared to wait...as the name implies.

In my case, if I were to be wait-listed I'd immediately tell them "thanks, but no thanks" as I have a favorable offer already. I would love to go to Ford, don't get me wrong, I am just not in the position to wait. I need to start settling things sooner than I'd like since my wife and I are both looking for a program together. It'd also be an easy decision for me if they only accepted one of us. I digress, wait-listing isn't fun for anyone. It's like purgatory. Seriously.

Edited by fadeindreams

If you are wait-listed it essentially means that they liked you as a candidate but not more than the people they outright offered admission to and that you would be admitted if someone who was initially accepted into the program declined the offer. You may be ranked on the wait-list or they may reevaluate every time a new space opens up. You are not rejected, at least, though you might be in for a wait as long as July or August. You will likely be left out of any discussion for funding. I don't think being wait-listed is much consolation unless you only applied to only one school or the school that has wait-listed you is your absolute first choice. Either way, be prepared to wait...as the name implies.

In my case, if I were to be wait-listed I'd immediately tell them "thanks, but no thanks" as I have a favorable offer already. I would love to go to Ford, don't get me wrong, I am just not in the position to wait. I need to start settling things sooner than I'd like since my wife and I are both looking for a program together. It'd also be an easy decision for me if they only accepted one of us. I digress, wait-listing isn't fun for anyone. It's like purgatory. Seriously.

May I ask, what other programs have you applied to, and what is your top choice?

I pretty much applied to U.Michigan, Heinz, Georgia Tech, U.Georgia, George Mason. Heinz was my #1 choice and I was accepted with 6k/semester funding... Considering that my parents live in Pittsburgh and so I would not have to pay for housing, U. Michigan would have to make accept me outright with more funding than Heinz for me to consider.

May I ask, what other programs have you applied to, and what is your top choice?

I pretty much applied to U.Michigan, Heinz, Georgia Tech, U.Georgia, George Mason. Heinz was my #1 choice and I was accepted with 6k/semester funding... Considering that my parents live in Pittsburgh and so I would not have to pay for housing, U. Michigan would have to make accept me outright with more funding than Heinz for me to consider.

My wife and I applied to 4 programs. They are Columbia University - SIPA, University of Denver - Korbel, University of Washington - Evans and University of Michigan - Ford. Geography didn't affect our choices, really. We whittled down our lists from about 15 to the 4 we applied to. I am seeking more of a quant/econ heavy program; she is seeking more of an administration/management program. We've both been accepted into Korbel. SIPA put her on the wait-list and has not issued a decision to me yet. Obviously we're both waiting for Evans and Ford. I can't say we had a consensus top choice but rather that we are excited about the prospect of attending any of the four we applied to.

For some reason I really dread this Ford decision. I was, well still am, excited when we heard back from Denver that we both were accepted. Still, I would like to have a choice when it comes down to April.

@Dagger - How is Ford? I mean, do you feel you've gotten a great experience there (both academically and otherwise)? How are you funded? Do you know of TA/RA opportunities and how common they are?

Also, do you take advantage of the free language classes? How does that work? Do they just let you audit for free?

I've been very pleased with my education thus far at the Ford School. However, regardless of the school I chose, I'm sure I would have similar sentiment.

I'm not familiar with the language courses. Can you provide a little more insight?

A little more about what you asked:

There's no shortage of quantitative courses to take. Calculus and Statistics are required. (Sidenote: those are the only quantitative courses required, and many individuals do not go beyond those two. You can make it as quantitative as you want.) Additionally, I am in the process of taking Program Evaluation and a Data Practicum using STATA. A two course track of econometrics is also offered. There's a phd level Causal Inference class, but you can get into that in Econometrics and Program Evaluation. Courses in other departments/schools are really easy to take as well. In fact, you're required to take a few outside of Ford.

I've tended to focus on education policy and there are other domestic policy courses to choose from - health, welfare, etc.

I can't speak to international, security, etc. courses, as it is not my focus. I do know they exist. I suggest you peruse the offered coursework to see if there are courses that fit your interests. Personally, that was one of my biggest draws to the Ford School - coursework that aligned to my career goals and the ability to take 8 electives.

I'm in the process of applying for a GSI position (same as TA/RA). They mentioned today that they expect about 300 applications for about 17 Fall positions. A portion of the 300 applicants will be from outside of the Ford School and probably not strongly considered. There are also opportunities within research centers. I was able to secure a position midway through the first semester. I didn't know they existed prior to my arrival, so I would suggest being aware of deadlines, etc. They're early, but on most of the center sites to find.

I get the sense that many folks are on scholarship here. It's not generally openly discussed though, so its hard to give percentages, and amounts.

I hope that's helpful. Feel free to ask other questions. I try to be as non-biased as I can.

Edited by dagger

I've been very pleased with my education thus far at the Ford School. However, regardless of the school I chose, I'm sure I would have similar sentiment.

I'm not familiar with the language courses. Can you provide a little more insight?

A little more about what you asked:

There's no shortage of quantitative courses to take. Calculus and Statistics are required. (Sidenote: those are the only quantitative courses required, and many individuals do not go beyond those two. You can make it as quantitative as you want.) Additionally, I am in the process of taking Program Evaluation and a Data Practicum using STATA. A two course track of econometrics is also offered. There's a phd level Causal Inference class, but you can get into that in Econometrics and Program Evaluation. Courses in other departments/schools are really easy to take as well. In fact, you're required to take a few outside of Ford.

I've tended to focus on education policy and there are other domestic policy courses to choose from - health, welfare, etc.

I can't speak to international, security, etc. courses, as it is not my focus. I do know they exist. I suggest you peruse the offered coursework to see if there are courses that fit your interests. Personally, that was one of my biggest draws to the Ford School - coursework that aligned to my career goals and the ability to take 8 electives.

I'm in the process of applying for a GSI position (same as TA/RA). They mentioned today that they expect about 300 applications for about 17 Fall positions. A portion of the 300 applicants will be from outside of the Ford School and probably not strongly considered. There are also opportunities within research centers. I was able to secure a position midway through the first semester. I didn't know they existed prior to my arrival, so I would suggest being aware of deadlines, etc. They're early, but on most of the center sites to find.

I get the sense that many folks are on scholarship here. It's not generally openly discussed though, so its hard to give percentages, and amounts.

I hope that's helpful. Feel free to ask other questions. I try to be as non-biased as I can.

Thanks for the info dagger. What can you tell us about softer factors at Ford in terms of fit--fellow students, facilities, social scene? Thanks!

For those of you eagerly waiting....

Decisions will be sent out this week. However, not certain on which day. At least I narrowed it down somewhat right? :)

If they weren't lying to their current students in that email you received that would make admissions decisions available today. It's not 5:00 EST yet so I'll keep believing this is true. Lucky me that I am so busy today!

*Not too busy to post this, obviously. It is nearly lunch after all. laugh.gif

yeah, unfortunately it's looking that way. I was hoping for a reason to celebrate (or sob) with a few cold ones!

My condolences for the misinformation. I'm trying to think back to last year and when notifications came in relation to the student call night but I can't recall.

I hope you can still find a good reason to drink this evening/weekend. :)

Thursday - 3.18.10.

Wow! Surely they'd have to get the admissions decisions out today or Monday if that's the case. They wouldn't want students finding out they were admitted from some random current Ford student calling them, would they? Surely they would like to give a good buffer in order for admits to check their email!

Wow! Surely they'd have to get the admissions decisions out today or Monday if that's the case. They wouldn't want students finding out they were admitted from some random current Ford student calling them, would they? Surely they would like to give a good buffer in order for admits to check their email!

Ironically, Michigan's business school releases their admissions decisions to domestic applicants by randomly calling them a few days before decision release day. Callers are adcom refs and student staff.

smile.gif

Edited by coakleym

Congrats, all!!

Just got the letter, as well. Any word on fellowships / aid?

Edit: Yeah, the email mentions aid forthcoming. I probably should have read beyond the first line!

Edited by Bastille