Classic campus feel, or office building campus? Does it matter?

Poppetcat

Ok, this is kind of a shallow thing to care about... But I have always wanted to go to a real campus, like the classic beautiful brick or stone old campus with ivy growing on it. There's a school out here that embodies this. It's BEAUTIFUL. I love being there, it's everything I want in a school (in terms of the aesthetic and daily living part of things, although they're also a stellar school). The problem is, I was rejected from the program I applied to...

I could reapply in the spring, after getting some more work experience. I don't really know why they rejected me, so I don't know if trying again would be fruitless.

I got into another school though. It's in an office building, brand new, 2 stories, and located downtown right in the heart of the city. There's no cafeteria, the library is a single room (not this), there's a small student lounge that I'm sure no one really uses. It's fine, but it's just not the same. AT ALL.

Should I stop being so shallow and go to the other school (assuming all things are equal, because that's a whole other consideration and I'd rather stay focused on the one at hand), or should I hold out (maybe defer if they let me?) and try to get into this dream campus school one last time? I know the answer seems obvious, but realistically, waiting a whole year would be tough for various reasons. I already got into the office building school (no more interviews or applications! yay), and there's always a chance I wouldn't get into the dream campus school a second time. So where then would that leave me? School-less. I can't move, so applying elsewhere and spreading my options out isn't an option.

Any advice or creative thoughts around this problem? Please don't just lecture me on having shallow concerns, this is just one of my many considerations for what I should do... :P

Edited by Poppetcat

It seems to me that given your circumstances, it'd be very risky to decline one offer without another one in hand (and no word on your chances of getting admitted on a second attempt), if you can't apply elsewhere outside these two options. Personally, I like pretty things and I *do* think that a welcoming campus can have a positive effect on students. However, I don't think it's necessarily a deciding factor in this kind of decision given your current parameters. There are some things you haven't mentioned yet, though. For example, is this a MA or PhD? Are you funded? How do you like the people you'll be working with? Also, is there an option of deferring your acceptance by a year so you can try again with the safety fallback of the offer you already have? If not, if aside from the office building you have a good, funded offer with advisors you like, I would say you should take it. I don't think there will be anything stopping you from working in the pretty library at the other school, if it's nearby. People work off-campus at various locations all the time. You don't have to spend too much time at the less attractive office. That alone wouldn't cause me to decline my sole, reasonable offer. 

Is the offer at the office building school a good offer? Is it a great program in your field, with a good reputation? If it's a professional program, is there the potential for good professional connections?

Pretty campuses are nice, but they definitely shouldn't be a primary consideration for choosing a graduate program. If the other program is a great one, I wouldn't decline the offer on the hopes that you might get admitted to the other program.

The pretty campus is a well known school in this area, but the program I got rejected from (and am considering re-applying to) is brand new and SO FAR I don't see any indication that it's accredited, despite it being a stellar school in general and their PhD programs being fairly highly regarded. This program is an MA one, and they didn't have an MA in this field before (psychology). I'm hesitant. Even though it's a great school and has better connections, what's up with not being accredited? Someone asked about that during an info session and they said MA programs don't have APA accreditation. Which is true, they have CACREP or some other type, which they don't have. Were they hiding the ball by answering that way? It seems odd that they aren't accredited since it's such a good school otherwise. Makes me question that program after the fact...

The office-building school is not that well known, but the professors/students seem to LOVE it, and stay very loyal to it, gushing about it and all. I've asked around and no one outside of the school seems to either know them or have a bad opinion about them, which might either be a bad sign or maybe they just don't stand out much because the pretty school is really big out here and takes all the attention away.

Idk. I feel like I can easily talk up one or the other and start to convince myself to go one way, but then I switch sides and it seems like I should go the other way.

I wouldn't be funded at all, that's normal for MA programs, right? Unless you get a scholarship or something, right? I feel pretty clueless right now, but figured I should ask.

MAs are less often funded. 

Do you know what your goals are for this degree? Is it getting a PhD or a job in your field? Can you find out what alums of both programs are doing, and in particular whether they've been successful in achieving whatever it is that you are aiming for? 

In general, a non-accredited program would be a concern for me, and on the other hand I'd be encouraged by the fact that students at the other program seem to only have good things to say about their program. It definitely isn't always that way. 

8 hours ago, Poppetcat said:

Idk. I feel like I can easily talk up one or the other and start to convince myself to go one way, but then I switch sides and it seems like I should go the other way.

Unless I'm confused, you don't actually have two ways. You have one option in hand and one you are only hoping for. Have you tried to figure out (a) how likely you are to be accepted on a second try, and (b) if you can defer your current acceptance? 

In my opinion, although the classic campus feel is indeed an important factor, because it may be a psychological happiness booster, I think in your place I will make use of the option that I have right now, which is the university you got accepted in. You're not sure whether you may be accepted in the classic-camp university next year, & even more than that, there MA program is unaccredited, so why bother study & tire yourself in the program, when at the end your certificate will not be recognized?!!

There's a saying that says, holding a single bird in your hand is better than looking at ten birds up in the tree (which means that it's better that you make use of the opportunity you have right now, even if it's less attractive than an opportunity that you hope you may get in the future).

And besides, I agree with fuzzylogician, you don't have to spend all your time in the library or lounge. You could ask officials in the classic-camp university if it's possible you could use their library & spaces, even if for a small fee, without being a student there.

And anyway, this is just an MA - just two years at most, so the campus feel would not be a huge issue for this limited time of study. And you may apply for the other university for PhD - which consists of a much longer period.