Dear All political scientists, 

I would love to do a PhD and do research. But, I am seriously worried about my ability to do Ph.D with two reasons.

First, my all more than 20 applications have been rejected so far.  Most of the applications went to Europe. I did my master in Europe as well. Problem is that my academic transcript of master is around 2.5/4.5 in American way. Of course, I did my best during the master course... Actually, before starting master back then, I did not recognize what research is ever. I had no idea what research question is even. I think that is the reason why my master academic transcript is horrible. And, my un-concrete reasoning of papers might be problematic. This is actually related to second reason..

Second, above all, I am currently working in a research center as visiting researcher. As long as I feel, I am the worst researcher. Sometimes, my supervisor requires me a kind of arrangement of bunch of literature or a review of the literature and then I did it with my best. But, the result of my work was horrible. I did not figure out what main focus is during the work and too much feedback from the supervisor. When the supervisor wants me to tell her what contents a specific journal article has, I do not remember the content although I already read it. 

Over time, I have been disappointed myself again and again. So, now I feel that it will be difficult to do a phd and further I am worried to get a job after phd. Although I got several interview opportunities from phd applications, that was it. I guess that professors recognized how I am not good applicants during the interview. I love research in political science. But, overtime, I think that loving something does not cause doing well. So, I have to decide whether changing my career or trying continuously. 

To summarize, why are my all applications rejected? Is this because I am a stupid one? I want human moment from political scientists.

Best regards,

Research-lover

No.

You being rejected is simply due to a lack of supply of PhD positions. To my understanding, paid European positions are as competitive as PhD programs in the US simply because they are funded. If you apply to self-funded positions (common in the UK, but I personally DO NOT recommend it), you probably would get a very different outcome, but then you have to figure out funding.

When it comes to managing the literature, I think you need a better strategy in doing so. Some of my friends spreadsheet every article they've come across so you could easily find whatever you need by searching for keywords. I myself maintain a lot of notes in Word, but I think I'm going to switch to the spreadsheeting strategy once I start in the fall.

Good luck!

18 hours ago, dr.strange said:

No.

You being rejected is simply due to a lack of supply of PhD positions. To my understanding, paid European positions are as competitive as PhD programs in the US simply because they are funded. If you apply to self-funded positions (common in the UK, but I personally DO NOT recommend it), you probably would get a very different outcome, but then you have to figure out funding.

When it comes to managing the literature, I think you need a better strategy in doing so. Some of my friends spreadsheet every article they've come across so you could easily find whatever you need by searching for keywords. I myself maintain a lot of notes in Word, but I think I'm going to switch to the spreadsheeting strategy once I start in the fall.

Good luck!

I appreciate it. Maybe I should try U.S phd program I guess and stick to applying for the Phd admission.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need to improve your work and think carefully about the feedback being given to you. You have to figure out what to do with it.

For PhD admissions you need letters of recommendation and if that advisor were to write you a letter, well, I wouldn't think it would be a good one. Also, one of the first things you will have to work on in the PhD is literature reviews and you will have to do readings for class and engage in discussion. It seems that, based on what you say, you wouldn't be able to do any of that.

Nobody is born knowing how to do stuff. Most of the work is sitting down for hours and putting the time and effort. You have to figure out how to do it more efficiently and improve.