Rescinded Offer - Trying Not to Freak Out

rtayb94

So I just checked my email to find an email from the dean's assistant of the school I am planning to attend this fall saying that they never received a response from me saying if I accepted or denied my offer of admission so they are rescinding my offer and have a nice life, basically.

Now I personally handed in my intent to enroll form and a check for the fee to the dean's assistant like 2 weeks ago. She even emailed me back like an hour after I had turned it in, informing me that I had forgotten to endorse the check and that I needed to come back to the office and sign it, which I did the next day. And she knows who am because when I came in to sign it, I didn't even have to give her my name or tell her why I was there, she already knew I was back to sign the check.

So I'm very surprised right now that they are saying I never responded back in time because I have loads of emails of correspondence with the dean's assistant and since I handed my paperwork in personally, I know it wasn't lost in the mail or something. Of course, I emailed the dean's assistant back immediately but got an automatic email sent back saying she's out of the office tomorrow so I guess I'll still call tomorrow to see if anyone answers.

I'm kind of freaking out right now because even though I know they have my paperwork, what if they've already offered someone else my spot and I won't be able to get it back? Could that happen? Would they still not offer my spot back even if they were found in the wrong and it was a mistake on their end? Am I worried about nothing or am I right to be a little shaken up right now?

While it isn't easy, stop panicking because it won't help anything.  This sounds like an error that resulted from someone forgetting to cc someone else regarding your paperwork being completed and sometimes those things happen.  They shouldn't and it sucks, but sometimes people make mistakes.  You said you wrote them a check, have you checked your bank account to see if it has been cashed?  If so then you can provide documentation of that (along with the emails with the assistant regarding your upcoming admission) and they can look around on their end to figure out where the error happened and resolve the matter.

While it isn't easy, stop panicking because it won't help anything.  This sounds like an error that resulted from someone forgetting to cc someone else regarding your paperwork being completed and sometimes those things happen.  They shouldn't and it sucks, but sometimes people make mistakes.  You said you wrote them a check, have you checked your bank account to see if it has been cashed?  If so then you can provide documentation of that (along with the emails with the assistant regarding your upcoming admission) and they can look around on their end to figure out where the error happened and resolve the matter.

Since the dean’s assistant is out today, it might be worth contacting someone in your department to let them know about the issue and make sure they know you submitted your paperwork on time.

55 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

You said you wrote them a check, have you checked your bank account to see if it has been cashed?  If so then you can provide documentation of that (along with the emails with the assistant regarding your upcoming admission) and they can look around on their end to figure out where the error happened and resolve the matter.

To clarify, you want to provide the program a copy of the cancelled check.