Different masters level programs in psychology

Fi19

Hi all!

I’m currently preparing for the upcoming application cycle, and I will apply to both phd and masters programs, with masters being my backups. I want to ask how are these following types of masters programs different in terms of training and job outlook:

Mental health psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, social work, marriage and family.

Also, how can I tell if a program is good or not ?

Thank you! 

A lot of it depends on what it is you want to do with the MA. Are you looking to get an MA level license and practice, or are you looking to get an MA to boost your research experience/psych GPA to be more competitive for PhD programs later down the line?

For licensing, look at your specific state, but typically mental health counseling (CACREP accredited), MSW, and MFT programs are license-eligible. The MSW seems to be the most portable from state to state. For these, ask how many alumni are fully licensed and practicing. Also, look at cost. You don't want to be shelling out like $100k in student loans for a job that will pay anywhere between $40k and $60k a year on average. 

If you are more interested in an MA as a stepping stone, the key is research. Do they have faculty that match your research interests? Is there a formal thesis? Some MAs even provide funding. Ask about how many of their students go into fully funded doctoral programs, and what type of programs.

Thank you! This is really helpful! I’m mainly looking at MAs that can get me licensed, and MSW and clinical psych are top choices for me right now.

1 hour ago, Fi19 said:

Thank you! This is really helpful! I’m mainly looking at MAs that can get me licensed, and MSW and clinical psych are top choices for me right now.

Be careful with that. Clinical psychology MA programs are not usually license-eligible. Mental Health Counseling programs typically are. Psychology MAs typically do not lead to a practicing license. MHC programs are under CACREP and you are usually a licensed counselor (which is different from a counseling psychologist). 

21 hours ago, Hk328 said:

Be careful with that. Clinical psychology MA programs are not usually license-eligible. Mental Health Counseling programs typically are. Psychology MAs typically do not lead to a practicing license. MHC programs are under CACREP and you are usually a licensed counselor (which is different from a counseling psychologist). 

Ha! Thank you so much for the heads-up! I was wondering whether Clinical Psychology MAs are licnese-eligible. I will look more into the differences among programs before I apply.