GW History

Sovetskaya

So, what is going on at GW? I applied to the phd and was intead given a congratulatory letter telling me I was admitted to their MA? Was anyone accepted to the phd?

Anyone have answers? According to the CCAS administrator, this is a terminal MA. Thanks, but no thanks.

So, what is going on at GW? I applied to the phd and was intead given a congratulatory letter telling me I was admitted to their MA? Was anyone accepted to the phd?

Anyone have answers? According to the CCAS administrator, this is a terminal MA. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm just happy to finally be in somewhere! I had given up hope...Terminal MA or not an acceptance is cool.

I'm more interested in funding..it looks like they are bumping a lot of us to the MA program so I don't know what that means for the funding situation. It looks like the make an effort to fund all of their PhD students, but for the MA im not so sure. One of my LORs went to GWU for his MA, and he said that they offered some tuition remission and sometimes TAshis for Master's students. I just want to get my letter so I can have more answers.

Anyone else have any more info?

I'm just happy to finally be in somewhere! I had given up hope...Terminal MA or not an acceptance is cool.

I'm more interested in funding..it looks like they are bumping a lot of us to the MA program so I don't know what that means for the funding situation. It looks like the make an effort to fund all of their PhD students, but for the MA im not so sure. One of my LORs went to GWU for his MA, and he said that they offered some tuition remission and sometimes TAshis for Master's students. I just want to get my letter so I can have more answers.

Anyone else have any more info?

That's good to hear. I can't agree more on acceptance being "cool." I'm just glad to know I'm in somewhere. Hopefully there will be some funding.

I sent an email to them inquiring about PhD placement statistics for their M.A. students. I'll post the response here when I receive it.

That's good to hear. I can't agree more on acceptance being "cool." I'm just glad to know I'm in somewhere. Hopefully there will be some funding.

I sent an email to them inquiring about PhD placement statistics for their M.A. students. I'll post the response here when I receive it.

I'm curious to hear about funding also. I wonder if they accepted anyone to their phd? This seems totally bizarre.

I'm curious to hear about funding also. I wonder if they accepted anyone to their phd? This seems totally bizarre.

I think it says on their website that all their PhDs are "fully funded", so I imagine they don't accept too many PhD students. However, from the looks of the results search it seems like that number is ZERO!

I COMPLETELY agree. I mean, honestly, the tuition at GWU is far too high for them to not offer something. It does look like there were more acceptances than rejections so far which may be a bad sign for funding but who knows. I might call the secretary tomorrow to get the low down on the funding situation.

They seem to have bumped people to MA in the past but never at this level. Maybe they (like every other school in the country) are suffering budget cuts and are using this is a cash cow to fund the lucky PhDers. Maybe they are offering more MA spots with significantly reduced funding because they can't secure 5 years of funding for any students right now. At least for the time being we should celebrate our acceptances and fret about the details later. Again, I'm just happy for something positive....FINALLY!

I COMPLETELY agree. I mean, honestly, the tuition at GWU is far too high for them to not offer something. It does look like there were more acceptances than rejections so far which may be a bad sign for funding but who knows. I might call the secretary tomorrow to get the low down on the funding situation.

They seem to have bumped people to MA in the past but never at this level. Maybe they (like every other school in the country) are suffering budget cuts and are using this is a cash cow to fund the lucky PhDers. Maybe they are offering more MA spots with significantly reduced funding because they can't secure 5 years of funding for any students right now. At least for the time being we should celebrate our acceptances and fret about the details later. Again, I'm just happy for something positive....FINALLY!

I checked out the results search for past year and I got this from a 2009 GWU PhD acceptance:

"E-mailed to find out when decisions might be made and was told that my admission was "unlikely." Six acceptances were sent out; there are nine on the waitlist (out of 150 applications). Formal rejections won't be sent to the rest of us until they know if the available slots will be filled by these fifteen."

If the trend at GWU is like other schools there's more applicants, less funding, and less space than last year.

Anyway, I'm completely in agreement with earlymodernist - I'm just going to celebrate for now and fret later.

I checked out the results search for past year and I got this from a 2009 GWU PhD acceptance:

"E-mailed to find out when decisions might be made and was told that my admission was "unlikely." Six acceptances were sent out; there are nine on the waitlist (out of 150 applications). Formal rejections won't be sent to the rest of us until they know if the available slots will be filled by these fifteen."

If the trend at GWU is like other schools there's more applicants, less funding, and less space than last year.

Anyway, I'm completely in agreement with earlymodernist - I'm just going to celebrate for now and fret later.

One of the things that we should consider is that by applying for the PhD program we were automatically considered for funding...Any MA students applying by April 1st will not be eligible for any of funding. We therefore have priority on available funds (under the PhDers I suppose). Just like that example you gave, the guy there got rejected. They could have just as easily rejected us but they liked something about our application that made them decide to keep us. I live near(ish) to GWU and I should get my letter within the next few days. I must try to be patient.

Also I've done a little bit of research which may or may not be a good sign. All of the PhD students receive fellowships- we know that from the GWU website. Students on fellowships can (but certainly don't have to) TA or work as graduate assitants. GW's History department DOES offer TAships...even if we aren't getting a fellowship, a TAship still could be a possibility...

I need to let this go. >_<

I am in complete agreement with others here... I am just excited to be accepted to a program finally, even if I can't attend without funding, that I am going to try wait as patiently as possible for that letter. Please post any additional info about GWU. Hope everyone's week continues to look up!

I am in complete agreement with others here... I am just excited to be accepted to a program finally, even if I can't attend without funding, that I am going to try wait as patiently as possible for that letter. Please post any additional info about GWU. Hope everyone's week continues to look up!

Well, I was accepted by GW last year (didn't take it to reapply) and my offer was $18k/year, plus $1000 towards health insurance.

And now, just an MA. Wow.

I am likely to take another offer so hopefully if i did receive funding it will kick back to you guys.

I just wanted to add that GWU has a nice work program that allows university employees to take advantage of free tuition. (x number of credits for part or full time) It is definitely worth looking into, especially for the MA.

Congratulations!

Well, I was accepted by GW last year (didn't take it to reapply) and my offer was $18k/year, plus $1000 towards health insurance.

I am likely to take another offer so hopefully if i did receive funding it will kick back to you guys.

A) Lucky for you that you get another offer!'

B) Don't you suspect that GW felt a bit offended that you turned down their offer and re-applied to their program?

C) $18K is not quite ideal for DC living... I'd be squeezing pennies everyday (as a former DC intern!)

Done is done :)

Wouldn't it be nice if they put MA on the general letter but actually meant to put PhD instead? Fat chance, but it would be nice.

The fact that you were accepted last year with funding gives me a little bit of hope. That you applied twice with similar credentials and got accepted PhD in 2009 and MA in 2010 seems to indicate a shift in the direction of the program. Obviously all the acceptances so far applied to PhD directly from BA programs. We were all kicked back to MA...coincidence? I think not.

I will gladly take your funding! smile.gif I mean that in the nicest way possible, haha.

Edited by earlymodernist

That you applied twice with similar credentials and got accepted PhD in 2009 and MA in 2010 seems to indicate a shift in the direction of the program.

i'm inclined to agree with an above poster that said the kick-back to the MA was probably because this poster rejected the PhD offer the previous year. the larger programs only take 20 students a year, the smaller ones anywhere from 5 to 10. they remember who they accepted and probably saw the rejection plus yet another application the following year as a sign that the student was unsure of whether or not s/he wanted to go to grad school. i'm not saying the poster IS waffling, and probably has a good reason (which s/he does not need to share) for turning down a PhD spot and then reapplying the following year, but it's very likely that GW saw it that way.

It is all strange so far to see people getting the kickback to MA program, more than other history program I've seen on these boards. I would give it all a few days for things to settle before calling the department to find out about PhD admissions. My advisor had wanted me to apply to GW but I said no (actually for personal reasons that I didn't feel like sharing with her at the time). So now I'm sort of wondering what would've happened if I did apply for PhD there... would they kick me to the MA pile even though I already am getting one? But give it a few days and see if anyone gets accepted or rejected for the PhD before calling the department.

It's beginning to look like a conspiracy... not just for Sovetskaya...

It is all strange so far to see people getting the kickback to MA program, more than other history program I've seen on these boards. I would give it all a few days for things to settle before calling the department to find out about PhD admissions. My advisor had wanted me to apply to GW but I said no (actually for personal reasons that I didn't feel like sharing with her at the time). So now I'm sort of wondering what would've happened if I did apply for PhD there... would they kick me to the MA pile even though I already am getting one? But give it a few days and see if anyone gets accepted or rejected for the PhD before calling the department.

It's beginning to look like a conspiracy... not just for Sovetskaya...

Quite possible -- but, GW admitted me VERY late in the game, after the 4-15 deadline (I d only applied to 3 schools straight out of undergrad, I applied to GW at the very last minute, was accepted to GW and MAPSS funded but decided to reapply to more schools this year). I thought they might be a bit angry but honestly, this is part of the admissions game. I thought I was crazy for turning down a fully funded offer (even if it doesn't begin to cover cost of living in DC) but now I'm glad I did, as I was (miraculously) admitted to a fully funded phd at a better school (a large, well known state school).

My research interests did change significantly, and I think that's what made me more competitive this year. I spent a lot of time reading about my region(s) and figuring out what needed to be done, and what was marketable. My grades, GREs, LOR, and languages stayed the same.

PhD programs are crapshoots, bottom line. Some times they'll have a spot for you, sometimes they don't. I highly recommend attending a University that gave you at least some funding. If not, don't waste your money. Work, make at least some money, travel, and reapply. Yes, things will be bad next year, but not bad enough to go into debt. And DO apply to schools that are less well known... a PhD from Harvard will NOT guarantee you a job.

This application process has been by far the most bizarre experience of my life. I've never doubted my self-worth more in my entire life. I project way too much of myself into my scholarly endeavors. I need to take up yoga.

I also received an offer to the MA program, although I applied for the PhD. One of my contacts in the program said that they received around 120 applications this year but were probably going to make five offers for the PhD program.

I also received an offer to the MA program, although I applied for the PhD. One of my contacts in the program said that they received around 120 applications this year but were probably going to make five offers for the PhD program.

Wow, only 5? Do you know how many MAs they admitted by chance? From looking at their website it looks like they have about 15 or so MAs each year (acceptances anyway). I don't know if this year is any different because so many of us were bumped to the MA program. Perhaps what makes it more bizzare is that the actual deadline for their MA program isn't until April 1st. So odd...

Wow, only 5? Do you know how many MAs they admitted by chance? From looking at their website it looks like they have about 15 or so MAs each year (acceptances anyway). I don't know if this year is any different because so many of us were bumped to the MA program. Perhaps what makes it more bizzare is that the actual deadline for their MA program isn't until April 1st. So odd...

I'm not sure how many MAs. But you're right, this is sort of a bizarre situation with so many people getting bumped down to the MA program.

I'm not sure how many MAs. But you're right, this is sort of a bizarre situation with so many people getting bumped down to the MA program.

I wonder if they'll fix the problem by just not letting the people who only applied for a terminal MA in? It could explain why I was rejected from some schools I should have gotten into easily, UConn for one. I had a good gpa/lors/gre score but I certainly am not as good as a potential PhD candidate - hell, that's the entire reason why I want to get a MA anyhow, so I can be competitive when it is TIME to get a PhD. As annoying as it sounds, I guess it makes sense for programs to give my potential spot to a PhD applicant they had to turn away who had better credentials.

It is still annoying and frustrating, though :/

I also received an e-mail from the department. The part where they talk about "limited funding" makes me justifiably concerned about the funding situation. I wish I knew how other MAs in our situation were treated in the past. Did they even have a wait-list? What if those who are admitted to PhD have other offers and don't take their spots? Ugh. I just want more information... :\

Last year my friend was told that GW, under no circumstances, funds MA students. I certainly do not know if this has held, but it was that way last year. I still haven't even finished my application for the MA due April 1, but knowing that about funding, I just don't think it's feasible.

Last year my friend was told that GW, under no circumstances, funds MA students. I certainly do not know if this has held, but it was that way last year. I still haven't even finished my application for the MA due April 1, but knowing that about funding, I just don't think it's feasible.

Well, and I may be thinking ideally here, our situation seems to be a little different. Because we applied to the PhD program but were bumped to the MA we are all still eligible for funding. Those who apply specifically for the terminal MA are not eligible for such funding. I'm not looking for full funding with a stipend or anything, maybe just a tuition waiver or something like that. Anyway, it is bizzare for any department to kick back so many people to the MA, and I don't know if that means that they did anything differently with us than say those MA applicants who are applying specifically for the terminal MA. I would say that you are probably right though, that they like us, but they can't afford to fund us. I would almost rather be rejected than be accepted to a school that I can't afford to go to :\