PhD First Year Examination

I recently got admitted in the PhD program in Statistics   , and they informed me that I am allowed to take An First Year Examination in August. And in order to be able to get PhD level courses I need to pass this exam . So basically I am not in the PhD ?  it sounds weird that I have to pass 1) First Year Examination -->and then 2) PhD Qualification Exam(end of the 3rd year)  so basically If I do not want to take the August Exam upon my arrival I am obligated to get Master Level classes and in the end of the 1st year pass  First Year Examination to continue in the PhD level. 

Does this happen in all Statistic Program  ? I mean 2 QUALIFYING EXAMS  kinda stressful , and in my opinion misleading . Are they doing this to keep a specific number of students in the main PhD program  ? Does this happen in all PhD Stats or Math programs ? 

Edited by gaga_megan

Almost all programs have at least one qualifying exam, and quite a few have two. What is your question here? This seems like something you should have looked into before agreeing to attend - qualifying exams are a major factor in the decision process for many people. 

Almost all programs have a written exam covering Masters level statistics theory (at the level of Casella and Berger) and possibly applied statistics. If you do not get a PhD-level pas on this exam within two or three attempts, usually you'll be asked to finish with a Masters but not continue on in the PhD program (at this point, some students will also, on their own volition, elect not to continue on to the PhD). At some schools, those who DO continue on the PhD track have to then take a second written exam (or exams) based on the PhD-level theory classes.  At some schools, there are tests in different subject areas (e.g. advanced statistical theory, probability theory, applied statistics, or whatever) and you pick two of the three and need to pass those. 

This was how it was for the PhD in Statistics at both the department where I got my Masters and my current department (i.e. two sets of exams: a "Basic" exam and an "Advanced" exam). The "Basic" exam is (in theory) meant to undo any admissions mistakes, but is obviously also subjective. 

Edited by Applied Math to Stat

I think it depends heavily on the program. At my master's institution, there was a comprehensive exam covering the first year material. There were three levels of pass/fail: PhD pass, master's pass, and fail. You were required to get a PhD pass in order to continue onto the PhD classes.

At my PhD institution, there is only a master's exam for those wishing to get a master's degree. PhD students are not required to take the exam, and there are only two levels of pass (pass or fail). 

Most programs have two written qualifying exams, a first year exam and an advanced exam. The first year exam generally tests you over basic applied and theoretical principles covered in your first year (e.g. for theory, most of Casella and Berger). An advanced written exam would generally be after you've finished your coursework and taken in your third year, testing you over advanced concepts in your upper level grad classes.