Will graduate certificate help with my grad school application?

ll20

I plan to apply to the MSFS program at Georgetown for Fall 2019 as well as a few other international relations programs. My long term goals include a career in the counterterrorism field. I'm interested in the University of Maryland's Graduate Certificate in Terrorism Analysis and I'm wondering if you all think it would have any affect on my chances of getting into grad school. Would it help pad my application or are certificates largely irrelevant to admissions committees? what about for scholarship prospects? For what it's worth, the certificate program is only one year long (2 semesters and I would start Fall 2018) and my employer will pay for it, so there is really no downside for me. 

It certainly can't hurt.  If you have been out of school for a while (as I had been), it shows you are serious about the field and will get your academic re-adjustment before you arrive at their program.  It definitely helped me when I applied for masters programs.  If you can handle the extra work, are confident you will do well, and it is free for you, I can't imagine a reason not to pursue it.

If your employer will pay for it, why not? I have one and found it to be fairly useless in terms of grad admissions. But, I learned a lot and would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to get one for free to do it.