MFA - Studio Art? Anyone else out there?

riskynostalgia

Hi. I hear from RISD (painting) today by email, and it was not good. So sad. I really thought my interview had gone well overall; just not well enough, I guess. Good luck.

Don't be sad, it doesn't mean anything really. just luck. did you get accepted to other schools?

I thought they don't hold interviews at all. what does it mean, a sure rejection letter in the mail?

The painting program at least interviews. According to the letter, Out of 300 applications, they interviewed 30 people (March 17 and 18) for 10 spots. Sorry if that means I am delivering bad news to you; the other programs may be different. If you are not in painting, you might just want to email the department admissions secretary and ask the status of applications. Good luck.

I did get in elsewhere. I am sad because I really liked RISD.

Hey OEE, would you mind terribly if I asked you to give me your SVA friend's email? Ask them first of course--but I emailed the school to see if there was a current student there I could talk to and they haven't responded yet. It would be soooo great to be able to ask a figure painter how their experience of the school is!!

Sounds like we've all got hard decisions to make in the next couple weeks! I thought waiting for acceptances/rejections was hard!

I've been calling RISD all week, and I just finally got through to the Admissions office. Basically, I was told that "they were trying to get around to sending out the rest of their Grad letters in the next couple of days."

So good luck to those of you that are still holding your breath! :D

Hi everybody,

I am so happy to hear things are working out with all of you! I mean it was much more intense about 6 weeks ago when nobody knew anything!!

I have a little dilemma going on in my head, and I thought I'd share and ask for advice. So, Cranbrook is my favorite school, and I got accepted there in the Print Media program, and all of this is fantastic. Two days ago, I also received my acceptance to Pratt, for their Communication Arts program, which was kind of a stretch for me, I wanted to just try if I would get in, since my background is not in graphic design, but in fine art. Which was, you know, also good.

At the end of the day, I would like to have a job, say for an ad agency, creating logos, etc. because branding is what really really interests me, and also do my art on the side, if possible. From that perspective, Pratt would be the perfect match. Yet I love the freedom that students at Cranbrook have and work they produce better. For the system at Pratt is pretty much like undergraduate, and I don't like that. I just hate the fact that I'll have to spend graduate school doing sample "book cover design" projects and "mock perfume bottle packaging".... I feel this is too limiting. And I kind of believe that your education should be broadening your perspectives, rather than narrowing them.

So... I'm really confused as to what to do... Could I possibly earn my MFA at Cranbrook in print, and then go and work in the industry without having a degree in graphic design? And possibly do my own art on the side? I'd appreciate any advice! Are there cases when people with MFA degrees don't only work as independent artists or college professors, and apply their skills and knowledge to other fields?

As far as I know, Cranbrook has a reputation for being too 'artsy' and 'dangerous' for the real world. Most of the alumni get into teaching. It's considered a bit impractical for a 'job'.

I personally think you should go to Pratt if graphic design is what you want to do in the future. And if it really is what you want to do, you'll enjoy your time getting ready for it too. :)

I don't know theres probably a couple hundred people (probably more like a couple thousand) every year graduating with there MFA in graphic design from colleges all over the country. There are thousands graduating with there bachelors. I think its a market where your work really speaks for you. i dont think that an employer will really care what you have a degree in or where it is from. your individual style is what is ultimately going to get you a job. i think ultimately if your motivated and work your ass off youll be able to make things happen.

Chances are in 2 years when your done your MFA at either school you will be in the same predicament of looking for a job. I am sure you will miss out on some of the technical side of graphic design by going for print which could hinder your skill set. also you might miss out on the contacts in the industry but you will meet plenty of people in the print world and it wont matter in the end. You should probably try to learn as much as you can about graphic design while going to school for printmaking. in the end though, most people working at big ad agencies are artist or were artist before their career took over their life. I think you should go to Cranbrook and try to figure it out there. There will always be jobs in graphic design if you pursue it. also you could always get a job in the world of print making. Ultimately we all have to make the decision for ourself where to go to school and you just got to go with your gut.

I feel positively nauseated by the financial aid process right now. The school that is currently at the top of my list in terms of program and prestige is only offering 5k in aid, the rest is loans. I'm going to try to negotiate, but it feels like I have a large stone around my neck as I attempt this. I might have to just accept another school.

labmouse...based on some of the articles I've read online and conversations on this forum, you should try to negotiate based on what you are being offered at other places. However, keep in mind if it's a highly prestigious, top ranked school they may not be willing to budge. Often the schools that aren't ranked the highest have more funding to try to lure those great applicants to build their programs and higher ranked schools know they are "the best" and therefore expect students to pay for it. I know frustrating!

cookiemonster...both schools have very highly rated programs in graphic design...I'm not sure if the printmaking MFA at Cranbrook would allow you to take some of that direction of course work, but I think both pointedears and jps have some good points. If you want to be a graphic designer when you graduate you really should do what you feel is best for you to build both your skill set and your portfolio of work...because ultimately that is what will be looked at when you are interviewing for your future career. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you everyone.

So I thought about it a lot, and I decided that in the end, I definitely don't want to spend my whole life working for a corporation. I mean, that to me is a waste. I only want to do it for a couple of years, just to see what it is.... because I'm curious, and I want to learn things and see different sides. So in general, I think the Pratt graphic design would be, in a sense, limiting. Because, it is a "professional training" more than development of my own thoughts, ideas, creativity, etc. It is somewhat of a "factory" i mean there's like 100 people graduating just from Pratt every year with their degree in GD. I thought Cranbrook is a lot more motivating and the smallest community, resulting from the selectivity, would in the end provide me with a broader range of options in the end, rather than limit me, which is what i fear the most. I mean, my undergraduate institution was limiting enough!! Plus, I was thinking of getting a PhD in Art History later on, and that would be almost impossible with a "professional degree" that taught me how to design book covers and perfume bottles.... I feel that if you have the solid background and well-developed visual perception and intelligence, you should be able to apply them to many fields... I don't know.

I'm visiting Cranbrook next week. Unless they disappoint me greatly, I think this is where I'll be for the next 2 years...

I don't think that I will be able to go to SVA at all. I've tried to extend the date that I have to pay the deposit and it's a no go. Although I am an Independent Student and currently unemployed, I would only get more loans. Today I heard back from the Chair of the department, who is a lovely person and put a lot of care in his response to me. There is no way I can afford to carry loans of that caliber.

Thankfully, I was accepted to Parsons.