MFA - Studio Art? Anyone else out there?

riskynostalgia

you are not the only one wondering this very same thing...

I've applied for MFA in Visual Communications/Graphic design but can't find much information on the results page. Only a few schools from previous years :?

I just thought maybe it's because they aren't computer savvy.

I'm so with you two. I check here all the time although it is a bit early to hear.

I've applied to 5 very selective programs for painting/studio art and put so much into my applications. It's scary to think that I still may not be part of the 2 to 6 % of lucky artists accepted

I guess the first step is to be contacted for an interview... I think San Francisco does them in a couple weeks.. Columbia and others are later..

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I'm so excited!

Checked my email late last night and got my first acceptance, The University of Arizona!

It's my top pick...but no word on funding yet (canned email from the graduate college not from the department). I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Hopefully more to come soon :mrgreen:

I will keep my fingers crossed for you too...GOOD LUCK

Hey - congratulations on getting into Arizona. I am highly envious - I suspect that means I didn't get into the textiles program - I haven't heard anything back as of yet.

Anyone get anything from UI-Urbana-Champaign or UT-Austin? They were my two earliest deadlines, and I still haven't heard anything back.

Hey - congratulations on getting into Arizona. I am highly envious - I suspect that means I didn't get into the textiles program - I haven't heard anything back as of yet.

I wouldn't count yourself out yet...each department may have separate review dates. Textiles may not have made final decisions yet. I thought it was pretty early to hear already, I was expecting another two weeks of nail biting.

Anyone get anything from UI-Urbana-Champaign or UT-Austin? They were my two earliest deadlines, and I still haven't heard anything back.

Didn't apply to either school, but still haven't heard from Tyler School of Art which had an early January deadline. Ugh. Waiting is the worst.

Well, I suspect if we don't get notified this week, then nothing happens next week while the CAA conference happens. :/

I feel like there's a relative lack of information about MFA - Studio Art graduate programs and chances. Ph.Ds seem to have info down to the number of applicants. I've never found anything comparable for MFA graduate programs.

True I didn't even think about CAA throwing a wrench in things for grad admissions. I work at a university on the east coast and they are in the middle of a search and are working like crazy to interview and make an offer before next Wednesday for that very reason.

The lack of information for even researching MFA programs compared to the wealth of information on PhD programs can be a bit frustrating. It makes me scratch my head because I just don't understand why there is such a discrepancy.

Actually, although probably not as percise. - there are listed MFA acceptance numbers on Petersons:

Try: http://www.petersons.com/graduate_home.asp?path=gr.home

Do a "Quick School Search" then find, school of arts or "studio art", etc. Then click students/outcomes. Some of the numbers have given me a better since of what is a long shot and what is not...

Hope it helps. Good luck to all.

Not too many MFA postings yet. It appears PhDs are getting their results. I have applied to six programs and have received two rejections. My rejection from WUSTL was mailed, but their website still states that my decision is pending. Don't think they're always in sync. Anxious, sad and less hopeful then before.

Good luck to everyone.

I'm so glad that there are some people out there that are applying for Fine Arts. I've always wondered where were all of the fine arts applicants whenever I go to a grad site.

I have an interview at SMFA on March 8th. I'm a little nervous and didn't realize that I could have had a phone interview, which would have saved me $250 in plane tickets! I like Boston, so it's ok.

I'm a little worried since I haven't heard much from anyone else. I visited 8 of the 10 schools I'm applying to two weeks ago, which was helpful in figuring out where I really could picture myself. My discipline is Computer Art/New Media. Where is everyone else applying?

Hi labmouse,

I'm applying in graphic design or visual communication (depends on the school as to what they call it). I've applied to Tyler School of Art (turned me down - too bad...was the closest to my current home), University of Arizona (accepted with $6000 scholarship I just received notice about- cool!), Virginia Commonwealth University and Maryland Institute College of Art (no word other then they both received my completed applications).

I'm thrilled about UofA but would have liked to have gotten a full ride!

Rejected from UT-Austin - which...fair enough. I was applying to sculpture in an attempt to "broaden the conceptual number of places that might hire me." Not a good fit, though I've heard austin is nice.

Oh - Also, for future applicants - this year they got roughly 200 applicants or so and accepted about 10. so about 5% of an acceptance rate - Unsure if this is specific to sculpture or studio art in general. When I next get in the car, I'll check.

Hi Art people :D It feels so good to find a community dealing with the same daunting process. I am a Photo MFA applicant. I applied to U of Arizona, SAIC, Columbia College, CALARTS, San Francisco Art Institute, Yale, and ICP-Bard. So far I have heard from: U of Arizona- acceptance, CALARTS- Interview, ICP-Bard- Interview, Yale-Interview. I have heard NOTHING from San Francisco, Columbia College or SAIC beyond the fact that they are processing my application. Can anyone offer me suggestions for the interview process? I know they will ask me why I want to go to get an MFA and study at their school, but what else should I be prepared for? Thanks for your help in advance. Hey maybe we will be in school together next year!!!