MFA - Studio Art? Anyone else out there?

riskynostalgia

I was wondering if anyone knows how much GPA effects our applications for MFA programs? Mine's not the best.

Rejections are awful. so far my ratio is 3/1. Lame.

2nd question, Is anyone considering reapplying next year if they don't get into the school they want?

Summerteeth- Thanks for the kind words and advise. :lol: Maybe we will see each other this month in New Haven. I will be the prospie with dread locks.

Stomachcramps - I think admissions works differently at each school. Although I can not say for sure, I would guess that a school which only teaches art would be less interested in grades than a University. The only school I know about for sure is CALARTS. The school's Wikipedia page says "Admissions to CalArts is based solely on the applicant's creative talent. The school does not review an applicants SAT scores without consent, and does not consider an applicant's GPA as part of the admission process."

Best of Luck with SFAI!!! :D

Just wanted to join in the discussion. It's interesting to hear what others are experiencing. I'm a photo applicant. So far the news is not great. Rejections from Yale and Arizona, interview with SAIC. No word from SFAI, Columbia U, SVA, or RISD. Anyone know how positive one should view an interview at SAIC?

Thanks Coberry27. Depresses me a little--I was almost deluded enough to think CalArts rejected me because of my bad GPA. Sigh.

portafoy--I'm pretty sure an invitation for interview means you passed some preliminary review. As a friend who knows about these things told me: they're looking for reasons to like you when interviewing. Congratulations!

I had an interview with SFAI but I'm in painting, also they don't interview everyone. I just got my tracking ID from Columbia and checked the status of my application today and saw that they had the wrong university listed as my undergrad! I would recommend anyone applying to columbia to check their status for mistakes.

Interpret the SAIC interview as a good thing. The necessity of it varies by department, but I think it's safe to say that it means they're interested in you. I had an interview last week for the art history/arts admin dual MA and it went really well (and was pretty simple). Good luck!

I got a letter from SAIC today. I was pretty sure that a rejection was on it's way, but as I opened it I had a small feeling of hope because of the thickness of the envelope. It was, as I had expected, a rejection. However they did not simply reject me.... No. SAIC had to add insult to injury with the following

"to assist you with your continued explorations, SAIC would like to provide you with admission to our Bachelor of Fine Arts degree program as a Prior Degree student... we would like to offer you the opportunity to further expand your visual vocabulary and knowledge of contemporary art theory and practices through SAIC's highly innovative and rigorous studio coursework. As a Prior Degree student at SAIC, we strongly believe that you would gain the educational experience you NEED to pursue more advanced levels of study..." Italics my own.

Wouldn't a simple: "Sorry we didn't like you enough to let you in" suffice? Did they really have to insult my intelligence by saying that I need to get another bachelor's degree before I am ready for the MFA? I was already accepted to one top grad school and I have interviews with three more. It do not need to spend $100,000 to get another bachelor's degree before going off to the big world of the MFA. I haven't decided if they are super arrogant or just looking to make money off of me.

wow...that is super insulting! I can't believe they would have the nerve to send a letter like that! This whole art school scene is so arbitrary to think that they could really feel they can tell you you "need" another degree from their institution! They must really want your $$$, but I also think they are pretty arrogant (or maybe just ignorant).

sorry to hear you didn't get in but maybe it's a good thing if they are that insulting.

Just reminds you how incredibly arbitrary the entire process is, doesn't it? According to your prior posts, you have been accepted at Arizona and are being interviewed at Yale. At the moment, I am preparing for an interview at SAIC and I have been roundly rejected by Arizona and Yale. Pretty interesting. It just means someone liked some little thing in your ideas at one school and no one did at the other. It's not about the schools, I think, but more the notions of particular faculty members.

I agree with you portafoy. This whole process is so bizarre. Who knows what's going on with these guys.

I got a letter from SAIC yesterday too. It was similar to yours, Coberry27, only they want me to apply to their Post Bacc. At first I was depressed at the rejection but now I"m seriously thinking about it. I'm wondering what other people think about this option? Two months ago I wasn't even planning on applying to grad schools--sometimes I think a year more of preparing would be good...what do you guys think? Have any of you done a post bacc? Seems like a lot of money for no degree.

stomachcramps - Have you looked into finding an "emerging artist in residence" program? I know the university work at offer opportunities for BFAs to work under their professors in studio to develop their portfolio etc (kind of like a Grad Assistant). Here they don't get paid but they do get the perks of a studio to work in (especially useful for Printmaking, Ceramics and Photography). I know there are some universities (like Bucknell) that offer small stipends for this kind of position. Might be worth looking into instead of spending a lot of money on a post-Bacc program.

A suggestion to apply into a lower program would feel insulting, I'm sorry that happened to some of you.

As I understand it, Postbac programs are for students who either did not attend an art school as an undergrad or were not art majors in their university or colleges. I think it is bad form and rude on the school's part to suggest Postbac for anyone who has an art undergrad degree not to mention that they start over with a BFA program - they're just thinking about $$.

If one were to actually do one it would establish connections at a school, that theoretically, would give you an easier time getting in there as an MFA the following year.

Has anyone heard from Columbia (in NYC), UCLA or USC Roski for an MFA (Studio Art)? Or anticipate when they are supposed to contact students?

I applied to Columbia Univ and have not heard anything. Looks like last year they sent out rejections one week into March. crossing fingers....

thanks to everyone for advice--keep it coming!

graphikchik--thanks for the "emerging artist in residence" idea. I'm pretty ignorant about this whole sphere--thanks for advice. I also wondered what your mentor had to say about SAIC--what was his complaint about it?

I'm really glad to be able to bounce ideas off everyone here...makes me feel like I'm not alone in this crazy waiting game.

stomachcramps--to answer your question about SAIC...my mentor's major complaint was that the faculty really didn't give much time to even their grad students (let alone undergrads). She would have to chase them down to get the most out of her experience there. It was very self-directed in growth as an artist. She said you are paying big bucks for the school's name on your degree. Granted this was over 20 years ago and was specific to the printmaking professors (she said her painting professors at the time were much more open to her ideas and instrumental growth as an artist then her graduate advisor). Anyway I'm not sure how current this advice, so take it for what it's worth.