MFA - Studio Art? Anyone else out there?

riskynostalgia

Hi people, I'm new here, and I'm glad to see people talking about the MFA stuff. I too didn't see much going on in the results pages..

I've applied to Cranbrook, SAIC, RISD, MICA, and Pratt for printmaking, and have not heard anything except that they received my application (in fact, I didn't even hear that from MICA - was it an e-mail or a letter that they sent to confirm?). The other day, I received an e-mail from Cranbrook that I've omitted by mistake something from my application and that they were "about to send me admissions information" but needed that info first... So I guess that's a pretty bad sign, they would have otherwise sent me an acceptance e-mail.... :(

As to SAIC, does anyone know if they just make decisions as they go, or do they send out all rejections at once, after having reviewed all applications?

I'm guessing my rejection letter is just taking too long with USPS...

This whole thing is so stressful! I can't see myself surviving 5 rejection letters...

Oh, and congratulations to all of you that got accepted somewhere!!!

Welcome to the club cookiemonster...I applied to MICA in graphic design. They sent a postcard saying decisions would be sent on or around April 1st. I am guessing this would be similar date for all programs. I submitted my application very early (in January) and also got a generic invitation to interview by phone or in person on one of three dates (that happened February 1st - before the application deadline but I think that was specific to graphic design). Hope this helps. I know waiting is the pits! Good luck to you.

Hi cookiemonster, I got a letter from SAIC a few weeks ago stating that decisions will be mailed out six to eight weeks after Jan 15. That's roughly last week through next week. So far no other information from them.

It's my first time posting on the site and I too am so happy that I have found you guys!

Cookiemonster... I am also waiting on 5 letters (MFA Photography) and since I haven't heard anything (accept the conformation they received the application) I am fearing they might be rejections. Besides the anxiety attacks I am now experiencing every time I open the mailbox, I think that this site is actually helping me prepare for the possible rejections, anyway I thought you would want to know this...

I know 2 people who have been accepted into printmaking programs, 1 at RISD and 1 at Cranbrook and have them selves, already accepted the schools offer and are working on money. This all happened last week for both of them, I am not sure what that really means or how these admissions committees work but I thought I would at least share the information.

If you have any Photo information for ICP, RISD, or Parsons please share

Good Luck!

I can't believe that Carnegie Mellon went through the trouble of verifying my address to reject me. good thing that I have midterms to study for. Otherwise I would bellyache about this all day

Cookiemonster, I haven't heard of anyone getting admissions to SAIC yet, but I do have an interview scheduled there this weekend (I'm a studio-photo applicant). I don't know how they use interviews there, ie, whether some people are exempted from them or not.

Are any photo people going to be in Houston for FotoFest? I would imagine some people who are going to be at the Meeting Place are also in the midst of grad school applications. I live in Houston, and would be happy to help with info about Houston or FotoFest, which is truly huge.

If you have any Photo information for ICP, RISD, or Parsons please share

All I know about RISD is that they say in the catalogue that there won't be any interviews at all and admissions is based solely on the portfolio and supporting materials.

I do not like to be the bearer of possible bad news for you portafoy, but I was accepted to RISD and I believe they called the other people they accepted. They did create a waiting list though - I do not know how those people are being contacted.

Ah, well, what am I gonna do.. I actually did get an e-mail from Cranbrook that they were going to send me "admissions info" on Monday, haven't received anything yet, I guess they're not too hurried with rejection letters. Well that blows. I don't really care about RISD as much but Cranbrook was like my top top toppp choice. :(

As far as RISD photo, a classmate of mine called them and they said they've contacted all accepted students already (phone or email, not sure) but didn't say anything about a waitlist. She herself has not received any rejection so far, so I'm not sure how they work, either.

Anybody heard anything from Pratt, except the painting program?

Waitlisted at Concordia University. Thankfully I'm #2 on the list. Now I'm worried that I'll get rejected by SAIC too. I applied for the Art and Technology department and the Video, Film and New Media department. :crosses fingers: I hope my interview goes well tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Best of luck to you on your interview! Hope you will have a chance to enjoy Boston too.

I still haven't received any notice from VCU and their website said notifications would be made starting March 3rd...

So I received an acceptance from MFA photography program at MCAD and an email from Mass College of Art and Design with an interview. I have also been rejected from Yale and SAIC.

So I am super nervous about the interviewing process. Does anyone know what people wear to interviews for grad school at art schools? Are they really formal or informal? I know for like med school you would probably wear a suit but that seems like to much for this? What is the proper attire for a male?

For interviews, I am just going to wear what I normally wear to school, or if I am going out somewhere. I would not recommend getting too dressed up (as in a suit). Just be yourself... I think that is what most schools look for.

Disaster, rejected at Pratt. Bad things come in threes, yes? Rejected Pratt, CMU and Waitlisted at Concordia. It'll get better right?

labmouse, sorry to hear that.

I know this stinx, but don't feel too discouraged... #2 on the waitlist is not bad at all! I think u have a chance of getting in! So, it's not over till it's over...

btw, did Pratt send you an official letter or an e-mail? And does anyone know anybody actually accepted at Pratt? I haven't heard ANYTHING from them.. it's really annoying.. weren't they the ones who said admissions would be mailed in April? WTF, it's now March 7....

Thanks stomachcramps and cookiemonster!

Pratt sent me an official letter. Kinda mean spirited:

"In making our decision, we weighed carefully all of the application materials which you submitted to us. In comparison with the other applicants we have had this year, your record is not quite strong enough to be given favorable consideration."

I'm still waiting on MCAD(Minneapolis), SAIC(I can get two whole separate rejections from them...joy) and haven't heard anything from Parsons yet....

I hope I have good news in the mail tomorrow.

Good luck! I went through multiple stages of self doubt, especially when Pratt sent such a harsh letter. It was like they had voiced all of my fears in two sentences.

Now after reflection and eating a cube of fudge, I realize that I still have a lot going for me. I hope that you all don't let rejections do you in. Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!

another rejection - VCU

wouldn't have bothered me so much except that the letter is so generic and they didn't even sign it...digital signature how weak! I mean for 50 bucks you think they could manage to sign the letter.

Another one to join the MFA discussion thread. I applied to, well, a LOT of schools. So far,

Interviews - Calarts, Art Center, SVA

Rejects - Yale School of Art

Waiting for decision from - MICA, RISD, CCA, Cranbrook, RIT, UIC

I applied for an MFA in graphic design.

*waves

wouldn't have bothered me so much except that the letter is so generic and they didn't even sign it...digital signature how weak! I mean for 50 bucks you think they could manage to sign the letter.

I agree. The reject from Yale was a pretty generic one too. One would expect that they would atleast give you SOME pointers on why you were turned down. I hate to think that it could have been my portfolio.

Hi, pointedears, and welcome to our little "tragicomedy"!

Wow, you have applied to a lot of schools! I wish I did that too, seeing the outcomes... I only did 5, but I physically did not have time as I am graduating college now, so...

I saw you have an interview with CalArts, that sounds awesome, they're a really good school!! (Funny, but I didn't apply (for printmaking) there since I received their catalogue and I thought that was by far the ugliest thing I've ever seen. lol. Maybe... a wrong decision...).

Have you heard anything from Cranbrook, though? I heard some people got their acceptances already...

On another note, when will art schools start writing polite letters? I mean it's discouraging enough that you didn't get admitted, they might as well act politely. I don't know where they get their stuck up attitude from... I've read comments on rejections with the previous year stated on them!!! What the hell? are we so "not worth the effort"?