Waiting for NSSR

anxiousapplicant

I promised myself that I would only check the results page AND visit the forums 3 times today

1. Morning

2. Afternoon

3. Later this eve

Let's see if I can pull this off.

Of course I am still driving back home at lunch just to check my mailbox...

I promised myself that I would only check the results page AND visit the forums 3 times today

1. Morning

2. Afternoon

3. Later this eve

Let's see if I can pull this off.

Of course I am still driving back home at lunch just to check my mailbox...

I suck. I lasted one hour. tongue.gif

To help with the paranoia, I just want to throw out a logical question:

Since The New School uses their Alvin system for everything, I am assuming that the preference section on the application status will eventually change to "Accepted", "Recommended to program", "Rejected" or something other than "Not Entered". Logically, since most email/postal mail letters are actually just form letters, I want to think that once a decision is made they stamp/scribble/spit/post-it-note/sticker your "folder" and pass it on to an admin that changes the status on the computer so that emails/letters go out.

So my question is: do you think that the Alvin system will show the results before we actually receive an email/letter?

Request: If anyone from any of the programs that did receive notification would be so kind as to check your status in Alvin and let us know if it shows anything...so we know if Alvin even updates, that would be AWESOME.

Sorry for the ramble, I was just sitting here thinking that there is no point in checking the mailbox every day if Alvin says "not entered"...because they probably haven't made a decision yet.

Since The New School uses their Alvin system for everything, I am assuming that the preference section on the application status will eventually change to "Accepted", "Recommended to program", "Rejected" or something other than "Not Entered". Logically, since most email/postal mail letters are actually just form letters, I want to think that once a decision is made they stamp/scribble/spit/post-it-note/sticker your "folder" and pass it on to an admin that changes the status on the computer so that emails/letters go out.

So my question is: do you think that the Alvin system will show the results before we actually receive an email/letter?

Request: If anyone from any of the programs that did receive notification would be so kind as to check your status in Alvin and let us know if it shows anything...so we know if Alvin even updates, that would be AWESOME.

Sorry for the ramble, I was just sitting here thinking that there is no point in checking the mailbox every day if Alvin says "not entered"...because they probably haven't made a decision yet.

I dunno, though, "preference" seems a strange word for "decision" or "status," doesn't it? I never saw the Alvin system before, so I could be wrong. Hopefully someone can enlighten us.

Edited by anxiousapplicant

I agree it is a weird phrase!

When you first log into Alvin there are three columns for the application: Admission Term, Application Preference and Date created. For me, the preference column says "not entered" (more thoughts in a second).

When you open the application page (where is says the status of every item you sent in), there are these two columns:

Application Preference:Not enteredApplication Status:Complete ready for review

Two obvious things, the first being application preference is the same as the first page...which is why I'm leaning to that meaning something more important. The second, "Application Status" seems the most likely spot for something to change...but it's interesting to me why that wouldn't be on the first page before you click on your application.

Regardless...it would be nice to know if anything changes in Alvin once you are accepted/rejected laugh.gif Again, one more thing to obsess over lol

This from the Phil dept:

"all applications that were complete on time have been sent letters with a

decision. and most have also received a back-up. email."

I might just die waiting :-(

Ack! I would think you would have received an email then...no? We should start a team from the Grad Cafe to create a better (faster) application review process.

I don't think the ALVIN system application status thing will be updated before we find out the results by email or FEDEX/UPS. It just seems that the purpose of the website is to let us know if we have any outstanding portions of our applications left to submit. After the application is ready for review, I think it is basically useless. I applied to CUNY Graduate Center and it has the same kind of setup and the text has remained unchanged throughout. I think the key words---put forth by monkefugg's post---is that "all applications that were submitted ON TIME" have been sent results. As we were talking about before, even though I submitted my application on time, the status report says it was submitted January 22. This would technically mean I was a late applicant. Perhaps that is why I haven't heard anything and maybe why some of you have not heard anything. Check on the status website to see when THEY said your application was submitted. I just hope it doesn't take until April to get these things out. When I applied for the Masters program at NSSR, it took FOUR WHOLE MONTHS to get an admit letter and an email from them. I just about went nuts!!! Its ridiculous. This time around, Rutgers got back to me in a month and a half.

Thanks for the input! From the website (NSSR) I got the impression that it's just about the application components...I'm just grasping at straws. When I see that last year someone from the IA program got a letter in May, I want to scream. It says my application was submitted 2 days before the deadline, but the transcripts were entered 3 days late. So I have a feeling I'll be getting a letter towards the end of the pack.

If all of us end up at NSSR can we have a group hug?

I see a few more results popping up from yesterday afternoon and today. Congrats to those that received acceptances!

Well, another day of not hearing anything. Did anyone hear anything from NSSR today? I'm still waiting and waiting and waiting....This is ridiculous. Why does it take so long?

Hey all,

Don't know if this is helpful (or just likely to induce more anxiety), but you can call Fedex (even if you don't have a tracking number) and convince them to tell you your tracking number and the date a package is posted:

My conversation:

Me: "Hi, I'm ringing about a letter that was posted to me on the 10th from New York, it hasn't arrived yet and I'm getting concerned"

Fedex: "Do you have a tracking number"

Me: No, but I've been assured it was sent, I live at...

Fedex: Hang on, I'll just check the system

Fedex: No there's nothing for that address posted on the 10th

Me: Oh? That's strange - could there have been a delay?

Fedex: I'll just check the next few business days - oh no, wait I have something coming up which was posted on the 16th

Me: Oh that will be it! Thank goodness there's some record!

Fedex: Alright, I'll give you the tracking number so you can keep an eye on it...

So that is how you can find out if anything has been sent without contacting the school. Positives include knowing when the letter will arrive roughly - so life can resume. Negatives include knowing when the letter will arrive roughly and experiencing extreme anxiety over whether it's a good letter or a BAD letter.

All the best to those still waiting (solidarity!)

Hey all,

Don't know if this is helpful (or just likely to induce more anxiety), but you can call Fedex (even if you don't have a tracking number) and convince them to tell you your tracking number and the date a package is posted:

My conversation:

Me: "Hi, I'm ringing about a letter that was posted to me on the 10th from New York, it hasn't arrived yet and I'm getting concerned"

Fedex: "Do you have a tracking number"

Me: No, but I've been assured it was sent, I live at...

Fedex: Hang on, I'll just check the system

Fedex: No there's nothing for that address posted on the 10th

Me: Oh? That's strange - could there have been a delay?

Fedex: I'll just check the next few business days - oh no, wait I have something coming up which was posted on the 16th

Me: Oh that will be it! Thank goodness there's some record!

Fedex: Alright, I'll give you the tracking number so you can keep an eye on it...

So that is how you can find out if anything has been sent without contacting the school. Positives include knowing when the letter will arrive roughly - so life can resume. Negatives include knowing when the letter will arrive roughly and experiencing extreme anxiety over whether it's a good letter or a BAD letter.

All the best to those still waiting (solidarity!)

Thanks, though it might come USPS 2nd day air. When I applied for the Masters program, they sent it by the postal service. Looks like the Philosophy PhD results have started to show up though---for those who are waiting on that program.

I love your FedEx conversation! laugh.gif I think I'll keep that one in my back pocket as a last resort phone call to make.

Yesterday I calmed down a little (not much) and today I feel a little more calm while playing the waiting game. I think I've just been feeling tired and drained from worrying about it...now I need to get back to worrying about work and the paper I am presenting next week (that isn't finished yetunsure.gif). With that stuff to worry about, maybe I can "chill out" for a few more days.

First I thought I had no mail at all yesterday...drove around the block to see if I could find the postman, nope. Later than night when I got home there was a lot of mail, but still nothing. Today? Nothing.

Now the question is: starting next week, can I calm down enough to stop driving home at lunch? dry.gif

I almost had a heart attack today!! I went rushing to the mail lady as usual (as well as listening for the rumble of the FEDEX truck---its pathetic, I know) and saw a letter from NSSR!! What is it? A freakin' increase-of-tuition-for-next-year letter. I swear to God I had to sit down. This is starting to make me crazy. It DOES NOT have to take this long---admits or rejects. Then I started to think that, since it is spring break, I wonder if they are even working this week. I'm gonna take a ride over there to see if the office is open. There are no classes but I thought the offices were open. I never thought about it before. At any rate, if they don't hurry up I am just going to give in and accept Rutgers-New Brunswick's offer and go there. Everyone says that the unofficial deadline for accepting offers is April 15 and who knows if NSSR will have all their letters out by then. I've already written previously of my 4-month long Masters ordeal with them. Since NSSR rarely gives more than 50% fellowship, it is way cheaper to go to Rutgers anyway (per the blasted letter, NSSR stated it is raising tuition 4.5% for next year---the tuition is already $1100 a credit hour!!) AND closer to me commute wise and they have more resources---like buildings that are not under construction for eternity, libraries that are functional so you don't have to go to NYU or the public library, real cafeterias that you can go to, stuff like that. I'll miss NSSR differentness (is that a word?), though. Don't mind me, though. I am just ranting. Anyway, I'm off to go see if the offices are open.

BTW, I called FEDEX and got the lazy answer: you have to have a tracking number...just as well though. It wouldn't have told me too much more than I already know.

Sigh. I thought spring break for them was two weeks ago...apparently I need to pay closer attention. Thanks for checking on them (admissions) for us! cool.gif

Two more New School postings in the results, so someone is getting mail from them.

[/quot

Well, for all those who care, they're definitely open---wasting time and not sending out our letters!! While there I thought about going into the building and inquiring about my status but decided against it. Don't want to be a pest. Anyway, I guess I'll schlep back home and check to see if I missed any letters in the mailbox---that got stuck to the bottom of the box. This blows!

Hi all,

I've been following this thread and just decided to get an account because I GOT IN, and I figured I could offer some helpful info.

Program: MA in Poli Sci for Fall 2010

Acceptance format: Hard copy letter in the mail, dated March 15th, with a hand-written note from Robert Macdonald.

FYI I applied before their priority deadline (Jan 19) for which they said if you applied before then you would get your letter mid-March.

No funding offered as far as I can tell.

Also, this link for accepted students says there are receptions on the 25th of March, so as long as you applied before Jan 19th you'll probably know by then: http://www.newschool...e.aspx?id=15954

Good luck all! I hope this was helpful!