Waiting for NSSR

anxiousapplicant

Someone got their rejection letter today for the political science program, and I have a feeling my news is on its way as well. I have already accepted another school so it is a moot point by now, but I still am intensely curious to find out the result.

I think you did the right thing by accepting the other position (the old adage "a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush" would seem to apply here). As much as I like being here at NSSR, the funding situation needs to be worked on. I'm not quite sure why they offer less funding than most schools. The tuition is certainly high enough and from what I hear they pay the instructors (re: adjuncts) peanuts. I had a full time professor last year who said that regardless of how much we are paying to go to school here, it's not trickling down to the hired help. The bottom line is that they really need to work on the funding. Unfortunately, I think a lot of students may have to get used to not getting fully funded offers in the future. The old advice about not accepting anything less than a fully funded offer is quickly becoming moot in this economy.

BTW, from my experience, you will definitely hear from NSSR, whether for good or ill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sent them an email on Tuesday and they did not answer it...it would be nice to have all my results back, but I'll have to decide without knowing my application status with them!

Did you hear back yet? I can't remember...did you apply to any other schools?

From the looks of a couple other posts (another thread on NSSR) it seems like they are doing a lot of late notifications. I feel like rather than go to grad school I should invent a better process for communicating with applicants and developing a better application process overall.

anxiousapplicant: You're all lined up at another school right now though aren't you? How are your plans for relocating going? So far, mine are in limbo...I'm hoping I can fly out to NY next month and start looking for apartments. I'm just waiting to find out if my fiancée will get to transfer her job. I don't feel like I'll ever get to fully relax!

I haven't heard from them...but the waiting is over for me. I did apply to other schools, and was fortunate enough to be accepted by a couple, so I had good choices - ended up enrolling at Fletcher, which I'm really looking forward to!

Still, as I said, it would be nice to have some sort of closure, this is the only school from which I have not heard. I have no idea why it's taking them so long! You must have sent a hell of an application BD, to get a special phone call from them!! biggrin.gif

Edited by LotusEater

So...turns out I got an email today, and they accepted me to the MA in International Relations! The official letter will come in the next days, and info on financial assistance will be mailed in 7-10 days. This seems like such a great program, now I'm wondering if they'll award me any scholarship...

Yes, I did, and I'm really happy about it. I just wish the New School had sent their answers in time for me to have the complete picture before making an decision. The official letter arrived, and they granted me a 20% scholarship, which makes the New School cost a lot less than Fletcher...

Side note: sometimes when I click on the link in an email to a reply, I view it and then I get logged out when I try to respond...maybe that's what I get for hopping on the forums at work :) Does that ever happen to anyone else?

LotusEater: Fletcher...NICE school. I would say that your application must have been impressive my friend! I don't think mine was anything super spectacular, but they [NSGS] did tell me (in the chat) that my work experience would help huge. I haven't worked in the sector, but I have been working in business, computers and business analysis for 17 years this summer. That being said, I did NOT get a merit scholarship and I am really bummed. I'm not sure if they thought I was Mr. Moneybags so they didn't award me anything or what. My fiancée plans to work while I am in school and I only plan to take a BS job...so I was really hoping for something. We'll see what financial aid says when they review my forms.

List of things to do:

- complete my immunization forms

- badger the financial aid office (haha)

- contact advising for my registration code (I can't register for classes!)

- sell my car

- sell my fiancée's car

- fly to NYC apartment shopping

- finish planning the wedding

- And finally, find a cheap storage unit or sell 80% of my stuff laugh.gif