Waiting for NSSR

anxiousapplicant

Great, now a rejection has been posted for my program, via postal service. I can't wait to go home and check the mail now. I emailed the school and they never replied, and if they had good news for me, they would have replied. I hate this. I wish the other school I got into would send me the correct letter so I can end this process. I can't believe they sent me someone else's letter, and now I have to wait to be accepted a second time. Thank God they had sent me a PDF of my own letter, or I'd really be freaking out. I'm so disappointed with NSSR and I can't wait to accept my other school so I can forget about them. I showed a lot of interest in them, I visited there, I was really enthusiastic, and they can't even just reject me and get it over with. I realize I sound insane right now but it's just so stressful.

Great, now a rejection has been posted for my program, via postal service. I can't wait to go home and check the mail now. I emailed the school and they never replied, and if they had good news for me, they would have replied. I hate this. I wish the other school I got into would send me the correct letter so I can end this process. I can't believe they sent me someone else's letter, and now I have to wait to be accepted a second time. Thank God they had sent me a PDF of my own letter, or I'd really be freaking out. I'm so disappointed with NSSR and I can't wait to accept my other school so I can forget about them. I showed a lot of interest in them, I visited there, I was really enthusiastic, and they can't even just reject me and get it over with. I realize I sound insane right now but it's just so stressful.

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. That rejection doesn't bode well for all of us still waiting---especially those of us still waiting for the political science phd program. Thank God, I have 2 acceptances already or otherwise I would be hysterical now. I just don't want to wait another year and go through this again. The stress is terrible. I think I am going to go ahead and send off my ok to Rutgers-New Brunswick and get this thing over with. I just can't take this anymore. So long, NSSR.

BTW, anxiousapplicant, its great that they sent you a copy of your letter by pdf. If I were you I would just send them back a written acceptance of their offer rather than wait for them to send you a hard copy of your letter. This is a busy time of the year and who knows how long it will take them. I mean, if they will allow you to, that is. Either way, I would be in contact with them on a regular basis. If they screwed your letter up the first time, they could screw things up when you get ready to accept their offer. Who knows what could happen? In other words, I would make sure everything was okay for you to attend now rather than later. Call me paranoid I guess.

Hey Anxiousapplicant, don't take their lack of a reply to your email as a rejection: I emailed them once before the application deadline with a question about my writing sample and they never replied!

I'm also going crazy with all the waiting, and still have not seen any post on the results page about my program.

Edited by LotusEater

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. That rejection doesn't bode well for all of us still waiting---especially those of us still waiting for the political science phd program. Thank God, I have 2 acceptances already or otherwise I would be hysterical now. I just don't want to wait another year and go through this again. The stress is terrible. I think I am going to go ahead and send off my ok to Rutgers-New Brunswick and get this thing over with. I just can't take this anymore. So long, NSSR.

BTW, anxiousapplicant, its great that they sent you a copy of your letter by pdf. If I were you I would just send them back a written acceptance of their offer rather than wait for them to send you a hard copy of your letter. This is a busy time of the year and who knows how long it will take them. I mean, if they will allow you to, that is. Either way, I would be in contact with them on a regular basis. If they screwed your letter up the first time, they could screw things up when you get ready to accept their offer. Who knows what could happen? In other words, I would make sure everything was okay for you to attend now rather than later. Call me paranoid I guess.

Jonjalin, I appreciate your advice and I think I may do just that. I guess it's a sort of superstitious thing that's making me want the hard copy...? But you're right, things could be very busy, and who knows, maybe other letters were messed up too, because if they put someone's letter in my envelope, then my letter is in someone else's envelope, and so on. If I don't hear from NSSR by Friday, I think I will just give up the ghost and go with the first school. I'm stressing out more about this than I did when I had no acceptances, and it's getting ridiculous.

LotusEater, I should know better, I know they aren't the best with replies. But now I'm at the point where I'm interpreting everything as a personal rejection of me.

The paranoia this school has induced in all of us is unbelievable. And they don't even offer much money, so that some of us may not even attend if we get in anyway! We should file a lawsuit to get them to pay our medical bills when we all die of heart disease later on from all the stress this waiting period caused us.

The paranoia this school has induced in all of us is unbelievable. And they don't even offer much money, so that some of us may not even attend if we get in anyway! We should file a lawsuit to get them to pay our medical bills when we all die of heart disease later on from all the stress this waiting period caused us.

laugh.gif I love it. I've been so worked up and normally I can be a pretty patient person. I've gone back on my word and checked the mailbox every day at lunch this week so far...I don't know why I can't just wait another couple of hours, but each day I think "Well, what if today is the day? I want to call people before dinner time and celebrate, so I'll go check now." Bah!

I have to finish my research paper by tomorrow night...I'm presenting it Friday morning. I'm thinking I'll regret all of the extra trips home vs. working on my paper! ARGH angry.gif

Guess what I got today!??!?!?! A letter from Direct TV offering a deal on satellite...okay okay, enough fooling around; I got another letter. My semiannual insurance premium. Yeay!

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get coupons in the mail tomorrow....OOooooooOOOOoooo blink.gif

Sorry to hear that, Babbling Dweeb. (that sounded so rude). I hope you get something soon. Is there anyone for your program you can contact? No one is answering me from mine.

Nah, not rude...my name is just another way to make fun of myself and it lets people rip on my rants under their breath ;)

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it. I don't want to bug them about it again, I know I applied near the deadline so either I'll be waiting a long time...or because I emailed the asst. director of the program during deadline week to let him know I was applying (and jog his memory of when we met), I might get lucky and my application reviewed sooner. At this point I think anything is possible. I might roam Facebook again and see if anyone else is talking about it on the NS page -I saw 4 students talking about the IA program on there before...maybe they heard something so far. LotusEater hasn't heard anything yet either (same program). I'll try (HA!) to hold off until April 12th before I call again...I figure that's 2 weeks, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm trying to remember what movie I watched at some point in my life that reminds me of this waiting process. There is a inline where one person is trying to explain the waiting period after they made a decision to do something; it went something like this: "there was too much time to think, too much time to wonder what you should have done differently." At any rate, my point is just to say that I cannot believe how much (and how little) I have thought about since I clicked "apply". I've been thinking my SOP was stupid and my writing sample was not the best I could have sent...etc etc. I've even started wondering if I should have applied to all of the schools I wanted to apply too instead of putting it off. I don't have to rant any more, you all know what I mean about over thinking the process. I just can't imagine what some of you are going through (and others) that applied to tons of programs and for some of you this might be your second year applying. My mind is racing just thinking about it!

BD, I'll probably be locked in a meeting, try to ask about when we, people from far away lands, might hear back from them!!

Okay, just to follow up...chat is still going on, but I think I had all of my questions answered.

For the IA program, they typically receive 400 applications for the Fall. Acceptance rate is around 70%. Letters are sent via postal mail and some are sent via FedEx in the case of international students. The majority of letters are sent by the third week in April. "If you applied on time, expect to receive a letter within the next three weeks." As we know, they do review applications in the order that they were received, faculty make recommendations and the directors of the program make the final decisions.

Hopefully that helps somewhat...basically more waiting!

Okay, just to follow up...chat is still going on, but I think I had all of my questions answered.

For the IA program, they typically receive 400 applications for the Fall. Acceptance rate is around 70%. Letters are sent via postal mail and some are sent via FedEx in the case of international students. The majority of letters are sent by the third week in April. "If you applied on time, expect to receive a letter within the next three weeks." As we know, they do review applications in the order that they were received, faculty make recommendations and the directors of the program make the final decisions.

Hopefully that helps somewhat...basically more waiting!

Thanks for asking those questions. I imagine it's the same deal for my program. Mine was submitted on the deadline day, plus I had a problem where ETS didn't send my scores, so that took an additional 1-2 weeks. So I am going to be reviewed dead last probably. I guess I should quit holding my breath. I hope things work out for you, Babbling Dweeb. Someone in this thread deserves good news amid all this waiting.

Thanks for the Grad Cafe & NSSR/NSGS love. Hopefully one of us hears something soon laugh.gif

Anxiousaplicant, you might want to email the admissions director....the director of the IA program offered their email address to those who are waiting on a letter so they can let schools know if they are/aren't attending. They mentioned that if a perspective student emails and lets them know they are waiting on a letter, they might possibly be able to give them an unofficial letter.

Now who knows if they will reply to your email ;)

One additional comment for LotusEater: Just before the chat ended someone asked another question about the letters. The director mentioned that the faculty made some decisions before spring break (last week) and those were sent out...but it doesn't sound like they made any decisions over break. She said they would be making the bulk of the decisions over the next two weeks.

Again the way she phrased it made me think they were not making decisions over break -or they at least took some time off for break and are getting back to business right now.

BD, thank you so much! I get the feeling my answer is not there yet, considering my application was sent at the very last minute...also, I'll prob wait a few more days, I just don't have the guts to email them right now and ask, even though I'll have to decide something until April 15th.

So today I was waiting as usual for the mail and I get an NSSR financial aid award letter for next year. At first I thought it was from NSGS where I currently am but, no, it was from NSSR. I am not going to read anything into it because we've been there (and I did put their name on my FAFSA) but I know that I am going to be really mad if they end up rejecting me after all of this. Who sends out a financial aid award letter before they send out admission or rejection letters? It is plain and simple torture.

So today I was waiting as usual for the mail and I get an NSSR financial aid award letter for next year. At first I thought it was from NSGS where I currently am but, no, it was from NSSR. I am not going to read anything into it because we've been there (and I did put their name on my FAFSA) but I know that I am going to be really mad if they end up rejecting me after all of this. Who sends out a financial aid award letter before they send out admission or rejection letters? It is plain and simple torture.

Their tortures are becoming creative now, aren't they? Well, I hope things work out for you. It sounds pretty hopeful though.

Well Friends, I'm in at NSSR political science, finally. Got the package today (Saturday). I got only 25% merit based funding which, unfortunately, is not enough for me to offset the cost of staying here. I wish I could stay because I like going to NSSR but I'm gonna have to, in the end and after all of this waiting and complaining about waiting, go with Rutgers, New Brunswick. Its a better deal all around. So, for me, it really is, So Long NSSR. I hope everybone else gets in too and wish you all the best monkeefugg, DB, anxiousapplicant, and everyone else still waiting. I will be checking back so please post how things turned out, whether good or ill.

Well Friends, I'm in at NSSR political science, finally. Got the package today (Saturday). I got only 25% merit based funding which, unfortunately, is not enough for me to offset the cost of staying here. I wish I could stay because I like going to NSSR but I'm gonna have to, in the end and after all of this waiting and complaining about waiting, go with Rutgers, New Brunswick. Its a better deal all around. So, for me, it really is, So Long NSSR. I hope everybone else gets in too and wish you all the best monkeefugg, DB, anxiousapplicant, and everyone else still waiting. I will be checking back so please post how things turned out, whether good or ill.

I'm sorry to hear that the good news isn't as good as you hoped for. Hopefully your new school will offer lots of great opportunities too. Good luck for the future.

Edit: Just noticed a little unintended pun or Freudian slip, depending on how you look at it, in my reply. But I do hope things go well wherever you go. The rest of us will stay here in our own little "purgatory."

Edited by anxiousapplicant

happy.gif

Today was the first day I actually didn't check the mail...and then I got a phone call. Admissions called me to let me know I was accepted and to invite me to an open house for my program April 10th (Lotus Eater, they are still making decisions for our program so don't give up hope!). They said the letter will come in a few days, but they knew I would probably need to make travel arrangements etc.

After all of the waiting and stress with my paper I almost cried at work (they don't know I am leaving yet), but I held it in and right now a few hours later it just doesn't seem real.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of you! Please keep us updated on your status!

happy.gif

Today was the first day I actually didn't check the mail...and then I got a phone call. Admissions called me to let me know I was accepted and to invite me to an open house for my program April 10th (Lotus Eater, they are still making decisions for our program so don't give up hope!). They said the letter will come in a few days, but they knew I would probably need to make travel arrangements etc.

After all of the waiting and stress with my paper I almost cried at work (they don't know I am leaving yet), but I held it in and right now a few hours later it just doesn't seem real.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of you! Please keep us updated on your status!

Congrats! The pain is over. Good for you and good luck!

happy.gif

BD, That is really great news. You're free of the anxiety now. I'm happy for you. So happy! Good luck.

I've mailed in my acceptance of another school. I have to say, I'm really disappointed with the way they've treated me. No response to emails, nothing. I would have been happier if they had just rejected me right off the bat instead of never responding to me.

On another note, Monkeefugg hasn't posted in this thread lately. Wonder if she had better luck?

Thanks for the congrats and the support, I appreciate it. I had a chance to celebrate with a few of my close undergrad friends (we are all about 10 years older than most of our fellow students; with similar 3-4 year academic breaks in our life) and relax...finally. Lots of changes and things to plan, so I suppose there is no rest in store going forward! laugh.gif

I agree about the delay and the lack of a response to emails from NSSR...I'm curious if you'll ever end up hearing from them. I read somewhere on this board, but I don't recall the topic, that they typically send some sort of a response to everyone that applies.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Monkeefugg post online in a bit. I'm still hoping for the best sad.gif

Thanks for the congrats and the support, I appreciate it. I had a chance to celebrate with a few of my close undergrad friends (we are all about 10 years older than most of our fellow students; with similar 3-4 year academic breaks in our life) and relax...finally. Lots of changes and things to plan, so I suppose there is no rest in store going forward! laugh.gif

I agree about the delay and the lack of a response to emails from NSSR...I'm curious if you'll ever end up hearing from them. I read somewhere on this board, but I don't recall the topic, that they typically send some sort of a response to everyone that applies.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Monkeefugg post online in a bit. I'm still hoping for the best sad.gif

Someone got their rejection letter today for the political science program, and I have a feeling my news is on its way as well. I have already accepted another school so it is a moot point by now, but I still am intensely curious to find out the result.