Transcript Nightmare

britboi04

Have any of you had trouble getting your official transcripts to particular schools? I certainly have, and I'm worried it's now going to affect my application.

First, I had my university's registrar send my official transcript directly to one school. Weeks went by and my online file never got updated to say transcript received. Even though the school sent out e-mails saying it could take 6 weeks to match documents with files, this worried me. Finally I e-mailed them and they said that they had checked and never received it, so I had to send it again. This time it made it.

But that's not the worst.

Back in January, another school e-mailed me to tell me my application was ready to go for final review, but they needed my transcripts from the community college I dual enrolled in during high school. -_- I was like really?

So, that same day I called the college and had them send the transcripts to the university. A few days later I got an e-mail saying my application had been sent to the Dean's office for final review.

Fast forward to this week and I still haven't heard anything, and I saw that someone had posted that they had received an acceptance letter from my same program on this website. Well, this made me decide to send the school an e-mail and politely ask where my application stood.

Thank God I did this because I received an e-mail back saying they had e-mailed me back in Jan. for my dual enrolled transcripts and they never received them. I called the college and they confirmed they had been sent out on the same day I called.

So, I have to have them sent again and the university says once they receive them they will be able to render an admissions decision promptly.

Needless to say I am nervous that this has affected my application now. I don't know what could have happened to my transcripts and why I was notified that my application was in final review if they were still waiting on the transcripts.

Has anyone had a similar situation happen and still received an offer? At this point I'm seeking out any comfort I can to ease my mind over this weekend :\

That hasn't exactly happened to me, but it seemed to take Columbia a long time to find my most important transcript, and that was nerve-wracking for me. Especially because a scholarship program had once before not received that transcript, putting my award in jeopardy. Was scary.

You self-reported your transcript information in your application, right? I think them being able to check your word against your transcript is the most important part. And even though they wanted to see your dual-enrollment during high school, that sounds like a technicality (community colleges always warn high school students they must do their best because the college work really does go on their transcript forever) and is not going to be as important to them as your most recent work.

I think you're okay! Good luck. :)

That hasn't exactly happened to me, but it seemed to take Columbia a long time to find my most important transcript, and that was nerve-wracking for me. Especially because a scholarship program had once before not received that transcript, putting my award in jeopardy. Was scary.

You self-reported your transcript information in your application, right? I think them being able to check your word against your transcript is the most important part. And even though they wanted to see your dual-enrollment during high school, that sounds like a technicality (community colleges always warn high school students they must do their best because the college work really does go on their transcript forever) and is not going to be as important to them as your most recent work.

I think you're okay! Good luck. :)

Thanks for the response!

I'm hoping that you're right, it's just a technicality and they can't release my admissions decision until they receive that. But that still begs the question why didn't they notify me they still hadn't received it if they had, in fact, sent out admissions decisions. I just don't get why my application was sent on to final review if they were still waiting on something.

But I've beat myself up enough over this--there is really nothing I can do.

Hopefully they are used to situations such as this as I imagine I'm not the only one who was missing a minor component of their application.

My situation was a little different but certainly nerve-wracking-- my school sent the wrong transcripts! I had them sent six copies out to my schools and an extra copy to me so I could scan it for my records.

When I opened it, though, there was Kristy Baraholka's transcript instead of mine! It turns out they had sent all my schools the wrong transcripts. Good thing I happened to request another copy! It saved my applications, Kristy's applications (Kristy, if you're reading this-- you owe me), and Kristy's lucky the transcripts ended up in my hands rather than some phisher's because they contained her SSN, etc.

What is going on in these administrative offices? These are people's lives! When I called, the best they could muster was a "sorry" and a "do you have a shredder?"

My situation was a little different but certainly nerve-wracking-- my school sent the wrong transcripts! I had them sent six copies out to my schools and an extra copy to me so I could scan it for my records.

When I opened it, though, there was Kristy Baraholka's transcript instead of mine! It turns out they had sent all my schools the wrong transcripts. Good thing I happened to request another copy! It saved my applications, Kristy's applications (Kristy, if you're reading this-- you owe me), and Kristy's lucky the transcripts ended up in my hands rather than some phisher's because they contained her SSN, etc.

What is going on in these administrative offices? These are people's lives! When I called, the best they could muster was a "sorry" and a "do you have a shredder?"

Wow! Did you get a refund on your transcript mailing fee? I once spent my last $15 on a second copy of transcripts that "must have been lost in the mail" (I don't know about you, but I've never had mail get lost before) for a scholarship, but at least you had proof your school messed up!

I have to be thankful that my university in London does not charge for transcripts. The two Singaporean institutions charge for transcripts, so together with postage, I have spent quite a bundle, especially when the transcripts from London took longer than expected to arrive in Singapore.

I was paranoid enough about mixed up transcripts to get them sent to me first, but this really took extra time and effort (and eventually money). Wonder if it was worth it...

I cursed the names of many people in administration...some of the jobs are so remedial and yet they often hire people that lack common sense or any logic whatsoever.

Slightly similar...my transcripts came and they were mine, but they didn't have my degrees on them. The University called me (before I called them) to tell me that I had not actually graduated. Timeframe

August 2009: Apply for graduation

December 2009: Commencement

January 2010: Request transcripts

January 2010: 8 weeks after graduation, phone call about not graduating

Feb 2010: Application deadline

The short version of the story, the University was claiming that I had not met the the requirements for one of my majors and that it was past the time where I could appeal so I would "just graduate in May". Well, since I knew they were wrong I challenged them on it...no dice. The records office and audit office are separate and the graduation office would refuse to put me in as even if the audit office said it was a clerical error because it was past the deadline. Arguing about the time it took them to find a "problem" and how ridiculous it is to contact someone 5 months later all I received was "sorry".

After a few phone calls, petition letter, letter from a professor, outlines of the course catalog (showing them their mistake) and threatening to take legal action if necessary...48 hours later I officially graduated and my corrected transcripts arrived with 10 days to go before the final deadline. I sent them 2 day FedEx only to have NSSR enter them as received 2 days after the deadline. Yeay...

I still get a fired up thinking about it.blink.gif

I cursed the names of many people in administration...some of the jobs are so remedial and yet they often hire people that lack common sense or any logic whatsoever.

Slightly similar...my transcripts came and they were mine, but they didn't have my degrees on them. The University called me (before I called them) to tell me that I had not actually graduated. Timeframe

The short version of the story, the University was claiming that I had not met the the requirements for one of my majors and that it was past the time where I could appeal so I would "just graduate in May". Well, since I knew they were wrong I challenged them on it...no dice. The records office and audit office are separate and the graduation office would refuse to put me in as even if the audit office said it was a clerical error because it was past the deadline. Arguing about the time it took them to find a "problem" and how ridiculous it is to contact someone 5 months later all I received was "sorry".

After a few phone calls, petition letter, letter from a professor, outlines of the course catalog (showing them their mistake) and threatening to take legal action if necessary...48 hours later I officially graduated and my corrected transcripts arrived with 10 days to go before the final deadline. I sent them 2 day FedEx only to have NSSR enter them as received 2 days after the deadline. Yeay...

Wow! That was some story! I would have hated to be in that position!

Yes, NSSR did that to me as well. I submitted my application on time---I'm sure of it---but they have on the status website that I submitted it 2 days later. Since they have rolling admissions, something tells me that they do this so that they can say that you don't qualify for funding because you submitted your application after the deadline. I just get that feeling. Same situation happened to me at Rutgers as well.

Yes, NSSR did that to me as well. I submitted my application on time---I'm sure of it---but they have on the status website that I submitted it 2 days later. Since they have rolling admissions, something tells me that they do this so that they can say that you don't qualify for funding because you submitted your application after the deadline. I just get that feeling. Same situation happened to me at Rutgers as well.

That would suck...but I will take that over "you don't qualify for admission because you submitted your application late" sigh.

Wow..talk about nightmare. I think your situation takes the cake.

still no word back from my school, but I faxed them my transcript copies yesterday from my dual-enrollment days and the official copies *should* arrive this week.

I paid money to have my transcripts overnighted to 4 of the 6 schools I was applying to. The other 2 had later due dates so I had them sent regularily. Well 6 weeks later, I get an E-mail saying Nebraska never recieved my transcripts. WTF? So I call my school's records office and they "never recieved" my transcript request but oddly enough received the transcript requests to my other 4 schools on the same day at the same time.

So I had to pay an extra $50 to have these two transcripts express mailed and they still got there a few weeks late. AWESOME.

I paid money to have my transcripts overnighted to 4 of the 6 schools I was applying to. The other 2 had later due dates so I had them sent regularily. Well 6 weeks later, I get an E-mail saying Nebraska never recieved my transcripts. WTF? So I call my school's records office and they "never recieved" my transcript request but oddly enough received the transcript requests to my other 4 schools on the same day at the same time.

So I had to pay an extra $50 to have these two transcripts express mailed and they still got there a few weeks late. AWESOME.

Which is why I made sure that my transcripts were first sent to me for consolidation before mailing them out. That way, I know if a request has gone unanswered.

Wow..talk about nightmare. I think your situation takes the cake.

still no word back from my school, but I faxed them my transcript copies yesterday from my dual-enrollment days and the official copies *should* arrive this week.

I think yours is just as insane. You practically need to give a blood sample to get a copy of your transcripts and they send you the wrong ones? I'm fine with the fact that everyone makes mistakes, but damn. There had to be a check and balance missed around there somewhere.

My only regret is not sending my incorrect transcripts with a note saying "The corrected transcripts showing degree completion will not be available for another month. There are no additional classes that will be added, just confirmation of degree completion." I said I was going to do something like that, but I didn't and now I'm worried I applied too late in the mix.

Just sit and wait huh.gif

Well, since I faxed the copy of my transcripts over I got an e-mail today saying they can now move my file forward immediately for a decision to be made.

The message goes onto say that if I am offered admission, I won't be able to register for classes for the second semester until they receive the official copy of the transcripts.

I should have my decisions soon then!

I sure hope the lateness of the transcripts didn't affect the outcome!

*Cross your fingers please!*

According to the web status, they received my transcripts one and a half months ago, and today I got an email that they are missing...all express'ed out but the timing!! I was expecting to hear the decision in a week! Does it mean my application hasn't been reviewed?!?! I hope nothing bad hapens...:s

i lost so much money on just transcript requests alone ($20 per transcript request, absolutely ridiculous!!!) that it gives me shudder even thinking about it.

I have a friend who has paid hundreds of dollars to get her transcripts translated. That's really a big drain on cash. Most of us have spent thousands just on applications for admissions. Let's hope it pays off!

Dude, I don't trust my school for jack....I ALWAYS get them to send me the transcripts first or I pick them up...either way, I send the transcripts to schools I'm applying to...my school is a smaller school - they take too long to do things.

In september, I emailed this prof and asked her for LORs, she emailed me back asking where I would want those LORs....only problem was: she emailed me back in March (or was it end of February...idk)!

I don't think it makes a big difference between a big school or small one for transcripts. It all boils down to the staff doing it. A big and famous school still can screw up something like this.

One of my schools decided to change transcript formats between my applications, such that half of my apps had an old format, and the other half had a new one!

My other school refused to produce an official transcript because I was still a student and had not officially graduated yet (even though I had finished all coursework by then and was just waiting for my course to end officially). All they produced was a statement of academic progress.

I don't think it makes a big difference between a big school or small one for transcripts. It all boils down to the staff doing it. A big and famous school still can screw up something like this.

you are right...let me rephrase it: The staff at my school are incompetent :) No offence (to them lol) , I actually think its cool and all having a system that you need connections to have your stuff sent out ASAP/on-time; but when it comes down to professionalism....I don't know if our staff can cut it. For the last year and a half or so, we have not had a register (in the registrar's office). The office was run by secretaries and a temp! That being said, I still love my school and the opportunities it provided me.