Communication/Mass Comm/Journalism

I'm not a rational choice person. More a philosophy type... Let's say I really wish I had the chance to work with the late Silverstone from LSE - his philosophical and inter-disciplinary points of view are right up my ally.

Yeah, what I thought. Well, in that case, from what I've heard, the job prospects for someone of your interests are abominably lousy, worse even than in the academy as a whole. I would never advise somebody not to follow their bliss, if that's what you truly want, but be sure you're going into it with your eyes wide open.

Are you going to USC? Haven't called them yet (time gap!), do you know if they are holding an open house? How do you feel about moving from a city like NY to LA?

I, like you, have multiple offers I need to mull over. But I will definitely go out to visit USC at the end of March. (Yes, they have a recruitment week. You should have gotten an email.)

I'm ambivalent about LA, but we'll see. Be aware that Columbia's financial aid stinks, and NYC is more expensive than LA.

-Sue

Yeah, what I thought. Well, in that case, from what I've heard, the job prospects for someone of your interests are abominably lousy, worse even than in the academy as a whole. I would never advise somebody not to follow their bliss, if that's what you truly want, but be sure you're going into it with your eyes wide open.

Actually in my country they are really in need for more comm. professors and I know a lot of people here, so I have better chances of finding a place to teach etc. when I'm done. Can't say the same about PS... damn

Cannot "sell my soul" to the formalist quantitative methods... I have no problem incorporating them into in-depth research, but they do not stand alone in my book.

Are you going to USC? Haven't called them yet (time gap!), do you know if they are holding an open house? How do you feel about moving from a city like NY to LA?

I, like you, have multiple offers I need to mull over. But I will definitely go out to visit USC at the end of March. (Yes, they have a recruitment week. You should have gotten an email.)

So perhaps we'll meet there? Columbia's having open house at the end of March as well. I'm flying in especially and will try to work in the west coast...

I'm ambivalent about LA, but we'll see. Be aware that Columbia's financial aid stinks, and NYC is more expensive than LA.

Columbia - I've been offered 22.5 per year, full tuition, health and aid with housing. No idea if this is considered good or not. I need to call USC and find out more from them (the short e-mail asked that I call them).

Once again - nice "meeting" you and thank you for all your help :)

-Sue

So perhaps we'll meet there? Columbia's having open house at the end of March as well. I'm flying in especially and will try to work in the west coast...

Perhaps we will. I'll keep an ear open for someone with your interests!

Columbia - I've been offered 22.5 per year, full tuition, health and aid with housing. No idea if this is considered good or not. I need to call USC and find out more from them (the short e-mail asked that I call them).

Well, it's somewhat dependent upon how much money the aid with housing represents, but unless it's *free* housing or something, it stinks. Even if housing aid cuts your rent in half, it still stinks. I got a bigger offer from a school where the cost of living is half what it is in NYC.

Annenberg offers full funding to all of its PhDs for five years. Stipend this year is $30,000 with the usual tuition/fees remission and health insurance.

-Sue

Any of you who got into top programs with funding feel willing to disclose some of the simpler bits of your application details? I bet it would be helpful.

For instance...

1. the field of your previous degrees

2. how well-known your most recent school is/was

3. your GPA

4. your GRE

5. number of published papers/conference presentations etc.

6. amount of relevant work experience

7. any particular strengths or weaknesses you felt your application(s) had

Any of you who got into top programs with funding feel willing to disclose some of the simpler bits of your application details? I bet it would be helpful.

Not sure what you'd consider a "top program," but USC has this handy-dandy sheet publishing almost all the information about enrolling PhD students you're asking about: http://annenberg.usc.edu/images/PDFs/pr ... rofile.pdf

Beyond that, well, networking is just as important in the academy as it is anywhere else in the professional world.

-Sue

For instance...

3. your GPA

4. your GRE

Hi,

1. BA - dual major Comm and PS (political Science); MA - PS

2. International, not that known

3. Very high, international not on a scale of 4. (Summa Cum Laude)

4. 680v 740q 5

5. thesis

6. 5 years TA and research

7. all my recommenders but one were not from Communication but from PS. All but one are pretty anonymous.

I think it's mainly luck as I was rejected by most places..

Good Luck! :)

For instance...

3. your GPA

4. your GRE

1. Sociology

2. International, but quite known (made the Times' top 100 universities).

3. 3.98

4. 680v 680q 4.5

5. thesis, 2 articles forthcoming

6. 1 year RA + ad hoc work in my department

7. 3 recommendations from well known professors who know me well

got accepted to 3 out of 5 programs I applied to with full funding.

Hi all. I got an email from a program director saying that I got accepted with funding(none of the schools mentioned here). They'd like to know asap if I'm still considering attending, and only after I make a decision will I receive a hard copy offer letter with further materials. However, I have yet to hear from a couple other places. How do I politely write back saying that I am still considering but I need more time (like a month) before I make a final decision? Can I say that I am waiting on other programs? Also, if I don't get back to them soon, is it possible that they take back the acceptance?

Sorry for all the questions. Everything makes me nervous at this point. :|

Hi all. I got an email from a program director saying that I got accepted with funding(none of the schools mentioned here). They'd like to know asap if I'm still considering attending, and only after I make a decision will I receive a hard copy offer letter with further materials. However, I have yet to hear from a couple other places. How do I politely write back saying that I am still considering but I need more time (like a month) before I make a final decision? Can I say that I am waiting on other programs? Also, if I don't get back to them soon, is it possible that they take back the acceptance?

Sorry for all the questions. Everything makes me nervous at this point. :|

There is another thread in "Decisions, Decisions" subforum...it has some very helpful information!

(There is a CGS that mandates schools on that list adhere to April 15 - so you can check if your school is on it...)

Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15184

Has anyone heard from Medill? I received an email last week saying I would hear back on Mar. 1 at midnight, and didn't get anything today. Call me disappointed upon coming home from the bar last night and not having any status update. Bleh.

Anyone who got accepted from Penn State, Mass Comm PhD program 2009?

I know they sent out reject emails. I didn't get any emails either reject or admission from them. As far as I know it already passed by the date they are supposed to notify the result which is end of Feb. I am very anxious about this. I know if I ask them about my result, they will let me know. However, I am too nervous to ask them. :wink: I might wait for the result until they will let me know. :)

Anyone who got accepted from Penn State, Mass Comm PhD program 2009?

I know they sent out reject emails. I didn't get any emails either reject or admission from them. As far as I know it already passed by the date they are supposed to notify the result which is end of Feb. I am very anxious about this. I know if I ask them about my result, they will let me know. However, I am too nervous to ask them. :wink: I might wait for the result until they will let me know. :)

Hey! Great forum!

I've also applied to this program and haven't received any e-mail from them. How do you know that they sent out reject e-mails?

Hey! Great forum!

I've also applied to this program and haven't received any e-mail from them. How do you know that they sent out reject e-mails?

Hey!

Good to hear that. I am the only one who haven't received anything yet. :) Not lonely anymore.

I heard that some of people get reject emails with explanstions.

One of people whom I know said the school has over 100 applicants and they will admit only 15 people.

Also, she said if I don't have anything yet, it might be a good sign. But, I'm not sure about that.

Do you think should we contact to school to know the results?

Hope it helps. :)

...and anyone hear from UW-Madison yet? I know they sent an email saying results would be posted by tomorrow (March 4).

Also haven't heard a peep from Mizzou since the beginning of January, and, nothing from UNC-Chapel Hill, even though others have posted results (of all kinds) from them on the results board.

Does anyone have any experience with MA programs offering funding for visit days/open houses? It seems typical for PhD programs, but I haven't come across anything specific to MA programs.

Glad to see the Comm board is busy these days.

Thanks.

I've been accepted to both UMass-Amherst and UNC-Chapel Hill...

I don't know how/if either of the schools stagger their admissions process, but UNC is hosting a Welcoming Weekend starting on 3/19.

UMass has no specific weekend, but does encourage visits.

I called UNC-Chapel Hill and asked if all admissions decisions had been made and was told that no, only some had been made. I'm guessing they are deciding between wait-list/reject, because 03/19 is coming up pretty soon and they would want all admitted applicants to know about the welcome weekend sooner than later, I would expect. That's just a wild guess, though ... trying to rationalize this seemingly random process.

This is what I received from UMASS Amherst:

"We are in the first stages of prcessing our applications to our graduate program. We have about 180 applications to process, and some early decisions have been made. We are however still assessing our applications. We appreciate your patience."

Thanks for the info Copperboom!

Just curious, did the UMass Comm dept. send this out as an email notification to all grad applicants including Ph.Ds? Or did you ask them?

I called them around 2/10 because my materials status still said "no" for all of my transcripts (which still hasn't changed), and they said they had everything ready for review. I guess they are just taking their time... :roll:

Hello Yay;

I would not worry about the online status as my application also seems incomplete. I dont think they have the time to update it.

They did not send me any notifications, I emailed and asked for the status. I guess they would have told me if it was a rejection. Good Luck