Communication/Mass Comm/Journalism

I'd love to hear from everyone else who applied to J-School for Fall 2010! (If only to know that all the other applicants are very strong and I have no chance in hell...)

I'm applying to five schools, with program, reputation and location respectively as the factors I took in my decision. They are: Columbia Uni's MS program, NYU's CRC, Medill's MS program, Carnegie Mellon's professional writing and CUNY's MS program. Anyone else applying to the same schools? I'm sure there are lots applying to Columbia and Medill at least.

I'm so dreading the writing tests...

I've been offered acceptance and graduate assistantship at Ohio State for Mass Communication. I guess it's kind of tenative, because they are "recommending" my acceptance to the grad school, and there are no details on the funding yet. Visitation Day is March 12.

I also had a positive phone interview with IU Bloomington last week. Nothing concrete, but happy to hear from them.

I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers on all this, and still anxious to hear from UPenn.

Hi everyone! I've just finished my applications for Public Relations/Advertising MA programs and am so nervous to find out the results! I'd love some input from you all about how my grades and scores stack up compared to yours!

I applied to programs at USC, Emerson, DePaul and University of the Pacific. My undergrad GPA was a 3.4 overall, 3.9 major in Strategic Communication from Ohio State. My GRE wasn't fantastic - Verbal 570 Quant 550 Analytical 5.0, but I think I had a good general statement of purpose and strong recommendations. I've also done four PR related internships at agencies, nonprofits and major corporations. I'm really hoping for USC with Emerson as my second choice. I've already gotten an email from an administrator at UoP saying I'm a perfect candidate for the program, but it's not where I want to end up. So, what are my chances?

Hi everyone! I've just finished my applications for Public Relations/Advertising MA programs and am so nervous to find out the results! I'd love some input from you all about how my grades and scores stack up compared to yours!

I applied to programs at USC, Emerson, DePaul and University of the Pacific. My undergrad GPA was a 3.4 overall, 3.9 major in Strategic Communication from Ohio State. My GRE wasn't fantastic - Verbal 570 Quant 550 Analytical 5.0, but I think I had a good general statement of purpose and strong recommendations. I've also done four PR related internships at agencies, nonprofits and major corporations. I'm really hoping for USC with Emerson as my second choice. I've already gotten an email from an administrator at UoP saying I'm a perfect candidate for the program, but it's not where I want to end up. So, what are my chances?

Allisont, your chances look pretty solid for Emerson - I think you'll be a shoe-in.

USC looks promising too, but probably not as in-the-bank as Emerson...but then again, what do I know. :)

Good luck!

engwish,

It's nice to see a fellow CCT applicant here. I believe you're the first I've come across (online, anyway). How was the application process for you?

Best,

Josh

Hey Josh,

You're also my first CCT.

It went okay, but I kind of half-assed the SoP - since it was my earliest deadline, it caught me a bit off guard...

How'd yours go?

I've been offered acceptance and graduate assistantship at Ohio State for Mass Communication. I guess it's kind of tenative, because they are "recommending" my acceptance to the grad school, and there are no details on the funding yet. Visitation Day is March 12.

I also had a positive phone interview with IU Bloomington last week. Nothing concrete, but happy to hear from them.

I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers on all this, and still anxious to hear from UPenn.

Naptown, Congrats my friend! It is nice to hear positive news for us PHD mass comm or comm applicants! Your stats and experiences are awesome and I am glad that you have some word back. When did you decide to apply to Ohio State? I know that it wasn't on your initial list. That place would be a dream school for me, but I decided not to apply due to their required GRE score. Such is life. It appears that their PHD grads get jobs and they are one of the top schools in politics and media/comm. Keep us updated Naptown. If anything we will live vicariously through you, ha! :P

Edited by PRguy101

When did you decide to apply to Ohio State? I know that it wasn't on your initial list.

Thank you! I did apply there as a sort of afterthought. They are a great fit with my interests, but I had to sell my better half on the locale. Columbus actually seems like a pretty cool place, with more to offer than just a college town.

PRguy, when do expect to hear back? I think you said you applied to six programs, but I'm not sure where. I hope we all get the good news we want to receive soon... the wait can be hell!

Hi Allisont,

It is not a prompt reply, but I thought my reply could comfort you a little bit. I applied for USC's Strategic Public Relations (MA) program last year (for fall 2009), and my stats were almost the same. I was accepted and I should say that my stats were below the average (check the student profile at USC's website). What made my chances high was, I think, my passion for going to USC and its SPR program. I showed my ambition during the interview. Although I was not able to end up going to the U.S (I was non-US applicant), I think USC is a great university and has great PR program with its focus on practical knowledge.

Wish luck to you and all other applicants.

Hi Allisont,

It is not a prompt reply, but I thought my reply could comfort you a little bit. I applied for USC's Strategic Public Relations (MA) program last year (for fall 2009), and my stats were almost the same. I was accepted and I should say that my stats were below the average (check the student profile at USC's website). What made my chances high was, I think, my passion for going to USC and its SPR program. I showed my ambition during the interview. Although I was not able to end up going to the U.S (I was non-US applicant), I think USC is a great university and has great PR program with its focus on practical knowledge.

Wish luck to you and all other applicants.

thearchiver - This definitely helps! Thanks so much for the reply! When were you contacted and when was your interview? I wasn't aware there would be one - I'd better start preparing!

thearchiver - This definitely helps! Thanks so much for the reply! When were you contacted and when was your interview? I wasn't aware there would be one - I'd better start preparing!

Allisont, I don't think you need to prepare for interview. Questions are always the same, starting with "Why us?" ending with "Do you have any question?" :)

They contacted me on April, 1st and we scheduled the interview for April 10th. But it may vary depending on the department. I applied for SPR program. One more note: I think I was one of the latest interviewees, because of the additional documents they demanded, since I was a non-US applicant, so they may contact you earlier.

I have heard that USC is very bureaucratic university when it comes to application process, but it is a great university (at least the grad students I had contacted told me so :) ).

A tip that may be of use: show your knowledge on the university, e.g. the centers of the university, its philosophy, etc. It really helps if they see that you really want to be there.

Wish you luck!

Haven't heard a word. But I only applied to a couple schools and one Comm program and it was super reach so I'm not surprised.

I've seen more comm programs listed on the results page, but it doesn't look like those people want to play in the forum.

In at University of Iowa--Mass Comm. Pretty excited, but no word on funding until the Spring it seems. I wish I knew who posted on the results page that also got into Iowa-Mass Comm. Whoever it is mentions that they "don't usually admit without funding." This is to hoping they are right! :D

Edited by PRguy101

Hi Everyone!

It's great to finally find an active thread on communication. I can't seem to find anything substantial at College Confidential!

I'm a prospective international student from Bangkok, Thailand. I've been awarded Fulbright Scholarship to pursue a Master's Degree in the US for fall 2010. My undergraduate GPA is 3.86 (major - advertising), TOEFL iBT score of 113 and GRE score of 580 for Verbal, 710 for Quan. and 4.5 for Writing (kinda sucks). I have 5 years of professional experience at a major advertising agency (1 year) and 2 non-profits (4 years). My non-profit work entails mostly program management, research, monitoring and evaluation on HIV/AIDS prevention and anti-human trafficking campaigns. I have also taught part-time for courses in interactive media, effective communication and social campaigns for about 3 semesters at a local university in Bangkok. I stopped teaching 2 years ago after it became too overwhelming to balance working fulltime during the weekday and teaching during the weekend. For the past couple of years, I've also done two presentations at international conferences in Philippines and Thailand and deliver trainings in Taiwan and India.

My focus for the graduate studies is in developing effective campaign messages, campaign impacts evaluation and using new media for health/social change. I am planning to move on to the Ph.D. Program after my M.A.

Here's the list of schools that I've applied. Most of the M.A. programs below are in health communication, unless otherwise stated. And yes, they're listed in order of preference!

- University of Pennsylvania, Ph.D. in Communication.

- Penn State University

- Georgetown University, CCT Program

- Michigan State University

- Purdue University

- University of Arizona

- University of Southern California, Master of Communication in Health & Social Change Communication

- Emerson College

U. Penn is a bit of a long shot since I don't have an M.A. But it seems the school has accepted students with only undergraduate degree before. My GRE score is also below average here. This is also the only Ph.D. Program that I've applied, since the school doesn't offer an M.A. admission. Penn State has told me they will release the results to the first choice of applicants sometime this week and they have been corresponding with me to verify my Fulbright sponsorship details so I guess I'm being considered. Georgetown told me the results will start coming out by the end of Feb, and the merit-based scholarships results will be sent out mid-March. In addition, I've just received an email from Purdue this morning that I've been accepted! But I will wait for other results before making a decision.

Sorry for the long entry!

Welcome to the new posters to this thread, and congrats to PRGuy on getting your first choice!

I received an acceptance letter from Florida yesterday, but no word on funding yet. Their assistantships seem kind of varied in terms of duties and stipends.

vit1825, thanks for your tip on Penn State! I keep telling myself not to worry about UPenn and Penn State, that they're all just snowed in and that's why they can't contact us yet.

...but I really want to hear something this week!

Newbie to the forum here, great to see other comm scholars around. Congratulations to all you have been accepted and best of luck to those still waiting.

I've applied to three highly competitive programs (Penn, NYU, Columbia) and none of them have made decisions yet. I'm really sweating, but working on my thesis seems to distract me.

I'm trying to consider Plan Bs, but I love my research so much. If I don't get accepted to any of my choices, I'll probably continue my research and reapply next year.

Vit1825 congrats on Purdue. That is a top comm program!

Good attitude MediaHistory! :D I am also working on my thesis, so I am very distracted. It is weird because knowing I got into where I THINK is pretty much where I will end up has actually made it harder for me to concentrate. I am ready to go now! :(

I am impressed at everyone applying to U of Penn. With over 300 applications received last year, I just wasn't about to play that game! But kudos to my fellow applicants for braving that storm. I am still waiting to hear back from two schools. I took a huge risk not applying to more. For those of you who are still worried about getting into a program, please don't forget about Texas Tech's new PHD program in Mass Comm. The deadline is not until March 15 and they give GREAT funding packages because they are trying to build up their program. Plus, they have some pretty good faculty and a great undergraduate program. I am in love with how they have their program set up. They claim to look at the application process "holistically" so that is always a good sign for people who may have a weak part in their application (mine was my low GRE, barely cracked the minimum) Texas Tech is a great school too (my cousin went there and I loved the campus and energy of the place.) The program is very MASS COMM though. I am sure you know what I mean.

Naptown, stop taking all the admission slots!! HAHAHAAHA...pick Ohio and let the rest of us have a chance please. THanks! JK! Great job, Florida has a pretty solid program and you can't beat the weather. They are tops in my field, along with Maryland, but for some reason I wanted a smaller program. Congrats again Naptown.

For the new people, welcome and I hope more good news starts coming in for everyone.

Edited by PRguy101