Communication/Mass Comm/Journalism

I have full funding; my understanding is that the dept. is planning on fully funding PhD students and any leftover funding will go to Masters students. I'm not sure the fallout from State/University politics are, but the department still has a substantial number of teaching and research opportunities. Funding was guaranteed for four years (of course must meet basic requirements of the program), so it should work out! I heavily investigated the program before applying and talked with former professors/students and found out the current situation of the speech comm dept, and everything is very healthy there. I'm excited!

Thanks for sharing about the health insurance; I did realize that when looking, but luckily, I'm married and will be on my husband's insurance. He'll still be working full-time so not a problem for me!

Did you go to undergrad there? any tips on housing/apts that will be good choices for a grad student who REALLY appreciates sleep? I'm really excited about the gym; good to know about the bus system. Definitely don't want to be walking across campus in 100 degrees!

Hmmm, the English dept guaranteed funding and then reduced it by a lot, forcing my friend and others out of the program. "Guaranteed" doesn't necessarily mean guaranteed at UGA right now. But if your department is confident, than that might mean more than what's happened in other departments.

I don't know what the insurance coverage is like, although I've heard it's poor. I was speaking specifically about the FACILITIES, which they are reluctant to let grads use.

My ex moved there, so I spent a couple years essentially commuting and splitting my time between Athens and my undergrad school (...hellishly long commute). I also spent a summer there, and I've been back occasionally since. Flying into Athens is sometimes easier than going into Atlanta and taking the Athens shuttle. The planes are tiny, but the flight crew is fun. They sometimes do tricks to get you the best view, or outrun a storm... Atlanta is a major hub, though, and the shuttle takes an hour and a half, I think.

As far as places to live, I'm not so well versed on that. I never really got around to learning neighborhood names. I'm pretty sure that the downtown is populated mainly by undergrads. There are areas a few blocks from downtown that are an easy walk to campus for very cheap. There are a LOT more options for housing if you have a car. I hope you're not afraid of cockroaches, though. They're everywhere. Inside, enjoying the cool AC. Outside, hangin' out on the sidewalks at 2 am. Meh.

I love Athens! PM me if you want to chat more about it. :D

@favoritedylansong--welcome to the board. I agree with skiergirl, I'd call. :) also Illinois ICR is MUCH more selective than the Illinois comm program. If anything due to the spots available in the incoming classes. Illinois ICR is sort of like Syracuse (mass com phd) and UPENN's comm program as far as sheer amount of applications for just a few spots. Like 150+ applications for a handful of spots to all of those programs. And one similar aspect of all of those programs is that every spot is fully funded. So that adds another layer of application interest. Not to discourage on that front but if you had your heart set on illinois, I'd be banging down that Illinois COMM door!

I am glad you were true to yourself in your personal statement. I had this same problem because as I have mentioned before on this forum, research is just a necessary evil for me, as my heart is in pedagogy and professional development in the mass comm field. Hence my screen name as PR is not a field that has a solid place at the PHD mass comm table. As one of my professors told me "Everyone wants to hire PHD faculty in PR, there are more faculty spots than PHD graduates, but no mass comm scholar truly believes PR is deserving of research at the PHD level." Uh, ok. Great, thanks. So writing my personal statement was difficult to say the least. I am glad to have been admitted to a program that is known for having a 99.9% emphasis in qualitative research and a strong focus on critical aspects of the mass comm professions. I didn't have to downplay my professional interest in the PHD and I think that helped me in the end (admittedly, I did downplay it for the other programs I applied to and I have yet to hear back from most of them..hmmm..coincidence?) I do wish you best of luck for both Illinois programs despite my "Gandalf Stormcrow" attitude, lol.

BTW, I have a friend that graduated from my program last year that got into Oregon's PHD program. She is now there finishing up her first year. Awesome person. If you want her contact info to ask her some questions (she is extremely candid, which is why I love her) I would be glad to supply that in a private message. Oh and congrats on Oregon. The thought of living there makes me grin. But alas, it looks like 4 more years of snow for me!

Your friend's info would, indeed, be helpful. I got put on ice by UIUC com today for lack of fit. Got a nice enough letter, though. The "lack of fit" thing makes sense, whether I like it or not. But, I'm finding I don't fit anywhere. wah wah, right?

Anyone here have any insight on Oregon's SOJC? I've talked to a number of people, all of whom have said it's good if you're looking to teach (usually at smaller schools where teaching, rather than research, is the "main" tenure requirement) and very good if you're looking to combine creative interests with research interests. Oregon sent me a list of their recent placements and it seems pretty good.

Edited by yourfavoritedylansong

Wow, I feel like a newbie. I was a bit of a College Confidential junkie during undergrad (loved helping people out) but now I'm here and the whole process starts over again. I'm in awe of some people's experience and stats, and honestly, a little worried. :-(

I'm currently an undergrad at NYU MCC and I'm hoping to apply to PhD programs for Fall 2011. Every other MCC undergrad I know is going into PR or working immediately after undergrad, so it will be nice to talk to other PhD candidates.

I guess I just wanted to poke my head out and say hello to everyone.

If anyone has any questions about NYU MCC, I would be happy to answer them. I know PhD and undergrad don't compare, but the department is small and I've taken so many classes it's ridiculous.

Did anyone apply to the Columbia School of Journalism (Ph.D.) and/or hear back?

I applied but haven't heard back from them. If you search past postings, you'll see that they released their decision pretty late in past years. I really wish they'd let us know soon so I can decide where to go.

Curious, is anyone claiming the Penn State College of Communications (Mass Comm) acceptance? Anyone else hear back from them?

I see from the search page that one person was accepted into Mass Comm. via phone with full package on Feb 25, 2010.

I got into Rutgers but without funding.

I emailed the prof I have been in contact with at Rutgers. He says he hopes Rutgers is still in the running in terms of my choices. I wrote back saying I would love to go there and asked about the possibility of securing funding. It sounds like he wants me to go there...but without guaranteed funding I just cannot swing it! I basically said that Rutgers is my top choice and I *will* go there if they could help me out financially...we shall see.

Does anyone know if Rutgers has telephoned, emailed or mailed acceptances out yet for Comm/Media Studies/Library PhD? In the results section there was one person who was accepted on February 9, 2010. I have heard nothing and I'm starting to get worried. Thanks.

Thanks PR Guy...one of my profs STILL HAS NOT sent in the rec. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH. She will send it before the deadline but still...I wanna know now!! I am confident I can get in there.

But right now it looks like these are my choices

Syracuse--If I get in with funding I will go

GA State

UCONN

Ohio U

I am going for a PhD in Mass Com....emphasis on film and feminist pedagogy.

What have you all heard about OHIO?

Does anyone know if Rutgers has telephoned, emailed or mailed acceptances out yet for Comm/Media Studies/Library PhD? In the results section there was one person who was accepted on February 9, 2010. I have heard nothing and I'm starting to get worried. Thanks.

I actually had to CALL them to find out if I was in or not...because online it said app pending.....so I think their comp system is down/messed up. I found out i was in when i called....I suggest you do the same.

I actually had to CALL them to find out if I was in or not...because online it said app pending.....so I think their comp system is down/messed up. I found out i was in when i called....I suggest you do the same.

Thanks, skiergirl24. I'll do just that. From how you have described the situation there, it makes me kinda wary but I need to know anyway. The 15 students that you mentioned were admitted, do you know if they were all media studies and communication or did they include Library Science too?

Thanks, skiergirl24. I'll do just that. From how you have described the situation there, it makes me kinda wary but I need to know anyway. The 15 students that you mentioned were admitted, do you know if they were all media studies and communication or did they include Library Science too?

I think that was just for the PhD in Media Studies....

If you don't mind me asking, what did they offer your friend for a package (funding, assistantship etc)?

Thanks!

Oh Skiergirl, sorry, I forgot to add, she got put on the waitlist for funding!!!! so there is already a waitlist for that..I swear this year is really crazy.

On another note, I got into another Mass Comm program with full funding and I am being flown out next week to check out the place. Just last week I visited what was my first choice, but now this new admittance is starting to weigh on me because it is a better research fit for me and is VERY WELL KNOWN for my particular area. To be honest, I thought I would have trouble getting into this particular program because its one of those "we only pick 4-6 people and everyone gets funding" type of programs. But my first choice school has a better overall reputation...but isn't known AT ALL for my research area (they have professors who could help me with the general topic area and I would still be able to manage but it isn't the better fit)...ughhhhhh...I guess I shouldn't complain, since I have options. So forgive me! This will be a tough decision for me. I hope the visit next week confirms the situation (not to mention a serious side by side comparison of the funding offers).

Anyway, good luck Skiergirl and tell that last LOR to get with the program, because the money is going fast!! :D

Edited by PRguy101

Oh Skiergirl, sorry, I forgot to add, she got put on the waitlist for funding!!!! so there is already a waitlist for that..I swear this year is really crazy.

On another note, I got into another Mass Comm program with full funding and I am being flown out next week to check out the place. Just last week I visited what was my first choice, but now this new admittance is starting to weigh on me because it is a better research fit for me and is VERY WELL KNOWN for my particular area. To be honest, I thought I would have trouble getting into this particular program because its one of those "we only pick 4-6 people and everyone gets funding" type of programs. But my first choice school has a better overall reputation...but isn't known AT ALL for my research area (they have professors who could help me with the general topic area and I would still be able to manage but it isn't the better fit)...ughhhhhh...I guess I shouldn't complain, since I have options. So forgive me! This will be a tough decision for me. I hope the visit next week confirms the situation (not to mention a serious side by side comparison of the funding offers).

Anyway, good luck Skiergirl and tell that last LOR to get with the program, because the money is going fast!! :D

Congrats on your acceptance!! I hope it goes well!!!! That is fantastic! I understand about your trepidation though...it is hard to make a touch choice like that!

I guess I will not be attending GSU :(

I am still waiting to hear from Syracuse and OHIO. Syracuse's deadline was 12/10 and I called but they told me they are still making decisions. I would like to think that if I had been rejected I would have found out by now...but I don't know...is that a bad sign or a good sign???

Congrats on your acceptance!! I hope it goes well!!!! That is fantastic! I understand about your trepidation though...it is hard to make a touch choice like that!

I guess I will not be attending GSU sad.gif

I am still waiting to hear from Syracuse and OHIO. Syracuse's deadline was 12/10 and I called but they told me they are still making decisions. I would like to think that if I had been rejected I would have found out by now...but I don't know...is that a bad sign or a good sign???

I have an aquaintence/colleague who had an interview up at Syracuse last week. Prior to that, this aquaintance had a skype interview with them in, what I assume, were their first round of interviews. I haven't followed up with this person yet, but have they not told you all, after interviewing you twice, whether or not you've been accepted?

Talk about making applicants sweat.

Good luck.

I have an aquaintence/colleague who had an interview up at Syracuse last week. Prior to that, this aquaintance had a skype interview with them in, what I assume, were their first round of interviews. I haven't followed up with this person yet, but have they not told you all, after interviewing you twice, whether or not you've been accepted?

Talk about making applicants sweat.

Good luck.

Seriously! I did not even get a Skype interview. Which makes me think I am rejected...but if so...why not tell me already?!!?

Seriously! I did not even get a Skype interview. Which makes me think I am rejected...but if so...why not tell me already?!!?

I wouldn't worry about being rejected if they didn't skype you but still interviewed you on campus. Maybe they just wanted to be sure about a few candidates before they invested time in bringing them to campus.

Hopefully you'll get good news soon.

I wouldn't worry about being rejected if they didn't skype you but still interviewed you on campus. Maybe they just wanted to be sure about a few candidates before they invested time in bringing them to campus.

Hopefully you'll get good news soon.

That program is crazy competitive...I hope things turn out well for you skiergirl! :)

yay!!!! congrats, mobicat.

do you know if/when they send out rejections?

Thank you...Hope you hear more good news as well, sykora25. I don't know when they will send out the rejections. Last time I checked, they said they'd let us know by March 15, but it seems things have sped up a bit since then.

Edited by mobicat