Communication/Mass Comm/Journalism

I am getting super discouraged.

I was rejected from UNC and UMass - I kind of expected that though.

I am still waiting to hear from Rutgers, Ohio, UConn, Syracuse and GSU.

My profs tell me if I have not yet been rejected by the schools that is a good sign. I dunno.

My GRE scores are slightly low 87% verbal and 42% quant (but I am applying to qualitative programs) and 5 on writing.

GPA is 3.86 Grad and 3.72 Undergrad

Worked for a Congressman in his press office.

Presented my research at several national conferences.

Working on publishing an article with a prof.

I teach 2 sections of Public Speaking per semester (not TA but actually teach the glass) and received very positive feedback from students and faculty alike.

My profs tell me my app is competitive but I am freaking out. I just need to hear back :(

If I haven't heard yet is this super bad news?!

It's unfortunate to see many U.Penn rejections on this thread. I received the rejection on Saturday too, but it was expected so I was not that bothered by it.

I'm deciding if I should wait for more results, particularly from Georgetown and MSU or if I should just accept the offer at PSU now. I'm thankful for a kind board member who corresponded a few emails with me to encourage me to consider MSU's excellent health comm/new media program. However, I'm leaning towards not waiting for any more offers as I have received PSU's letter of admission last week. The details include full funding for PhD after I've satisfactorily completed my MA and received an approval from my advisor to continue. Has anyone accepted an offer at PSU?

I hope other schools will be sending out positive news to those of us who have not heard anything soon.

I am getting super discouraged.

I was rejected from UNC and UMass - I kind of expected that though.

I am still waiting to hear from Rutgers, Ohio, UConn, Syracuse and GSU.

My profs tell me if I have not yet been rejected by the schools that is a good sign. I dunno.

My GRE scores are slightly low 87% verbal and 42% quant (but I am applying to qualitative programs) and 5 on writing.

GPA is 3.86 Grad and 3.72 Undergrad

Worked for a Congressman in his press office.

Presented my research at several national conferences.

Working on publishing an article with a prof.

I teach 2 sections of Public Speaking per semester (not TA but actually teach the glass) and received very positive feedback from students and faculty alike.

My profs tell me my app is competitive but I am freaking out. I just need to hear back :(

If I haven't heard yet is this super bad news?!

Skiergirl hang in there! You WILL get a fully funded offer from one of your remaining programs. I truly believe that. Georgia State is pretty much a shoe in for you and the others are right there too. You are competitive. This has been a very weird year for everyone applying. I have noticed that admissions this year have been all over the place. Tons of applicants for a few spots and admission committees having a hard time choosing their incoming classes (for example I know of one school where they basically said ok we will admit 2 for gender, 2 for politics, 2 for media effects etc..which meant if u were stellar yet didnt fall within the research interest u were out!)

Not that it helps, but someone with your background doesn't go without a solid offer. It may not be your number 1 choice, but you will get in. HANG ON!! :D

I got into Rutgers but without funding.

I emailed the prof I have been in contact with at Rutgers. He says he hopes Rutgers is still in the running in terms of my choices. I wrote back saying I would love to go there and asked about the possibility of securing funding. It sounds like he wants me to go there...but without guaranteed funding I just cannot swing it! I basically said that Rutgers is my top choice and I *will* go there if they could help me out financially...we shall see.

I got into Rutgers but without funding.

I emailed the prof I have been in contact with at Rutgers. He says he hopes Rutgers is still in the running in terms of my choices. I wrote back saying I would love to go there and asked about the possibility of securing funding. It sounds like he wants me to go there...but without guaranteed funding I just cannot swing it! I basically said that Rutgers is my top choice and I *will* go there if they could help me out financially...we shall see.

Did Rutgers specifically say no funding or is it that they have yet to make a decision on funding offers?

what's crackin?

Like all of you, currently waiting on notifications so I can decide what the hell i'm going to do with my life for the next couple years.

Stats: 3.45 undergrad GPA (Miami University, BA in journalism and political science), 4.0 grad GPA (San Diego State, MA in "empirical" media studies). Q570, V580, 6.0 on GRE. 4ish years work experience (technical writer then program manager then west coast operations manager) with a significant history of securing major Government procurement packages (300+ million). Currently teach multimedia production at San Diego State (I'm finishing my MA here so it's assigned as a GTA position but, in reality, I'm responsible for all the curriculum. In fact, the media lab was a "new thing" when I got here, so I essentially designed the entire program and am still working out ways to streamline the lab/course/etc) along with a couple writing labs and our undergraduate empirical methods course (TA). Couple conference papers (some peer reviewed, some not) with several more (all empirical) pending. Letters from department head, former associate director of the NCA, and reasonably well known professor who is a lecturer (that's a long story; she's a great instructor and smart as a whip).

I've been accepted into Oregon's SOJC program will full funding + stipend, rejected from the University of Michigan and UCSD. UCSD was never serious for me; I applied because I wanted to stay in San Diego but I know I would have been miserable in a 6 year, critical-cultural program full of NYU grads (only in academia does that sort of hypocrisy make sense). Michigan is where I'm from and a school I admire so that sort of stung.

Still waiting on Illinois ICR, Illinois com, UCSB, and Arizona. I'm not optimistic on UCSB and Illinois com due to test scores (although my letter writers are all well known in those departments on a personal level). Have no idea what to think about Illinois ICR and Arizona.

Weaknesses in my application are definitely the test scores and my chosen research track. I'm interested in mixing methods (mostly empirical with qual. for context) and looking at new media across communication traditions (namely, sociopyschological and cultural) while working with multimedia (I'm pretty good with video and video editing, flash, etc). Not unjustifiably, I think, schools are wondering whether I'm serious about working as a researcher. I mean, I am. But I don't see why research has to be the end-all and I don't think it's hard to run a couple studies a year while working in actual new media production as well. I thought about toning down my application to "fit in" with what schools were looking for, but sometimes I'm too independent for my own good. In the end, though, I knew I had to be honest with myself and accept that what I want to do (and what I'm good at) is currently somewhat peripheral to the discipline. I'm excited about studying the mass media because I think the contemporary take on new media applications is woefully inadequate and I think I can help change that.

Test scores would have been higher. Long story short, studied for a month, did well on the practice examinations, then was not allowed by ETS (on test day) to take the test due to some bureaucratic issues involving a truly bizarre situation.

I see some of you have already been accepted and know where you want to go while others are in a more amorphous situation. Good luck to all and I think you should all be proud of yourselves and your accomplishments.

Hey Bob Dylan :) Welcome to the forum. When you say Illinois do you mean Champain-Urbana? You might want to try calling them. A colleague of mine called them yesterday and found out she was waitlisted. They are straightforward and will tell you where you stand. Good luck!!

ETS sucks so bad. It's mind-boggling that they have a monopoly over academic testing which becomes even more ridiculous when you consider the serious concerns about the GRE's predictive abilities. In my case, despite the fact that I had my social security card, my birth certificate, my recently invalidated license, and my temporary paper license, I wasn't allowed to take the test. I asked the individual whether she had any doubts whether I was "me," and she said no. And, they denied my petition for a refund. I wish ETS the best and by the best, I mean the worst.

As for calling departments, I don't know, I figure I'll wait until they let me know. Maybe I just don't want to know, haha.

@Skiergirl--that is not only ridiculous..it's [insert expletive] ridiculous! I find it funny that they do this because I know they make a big deal out of their "Invitational Masters Student Institute" that is held every fall. I think 8 of us in my program applied and not one of us was invited to attend. I figured they have this institute in order to sell their school to future PHD applicants, but why invite the nation's masters students to check out your school and then only have ONE funding package?? Wow..unbelievable, that can't be good for the future of the program and its reputation. Anyway, like I said, you will have opportunities elsewhere. We will have a drink at one of the upcoming AEJMC conferences and laugh at all of this crap one day.

@favoritedylansong--welcome to the board. I agree with skiergirl, I'd call. :) also Illinois ICR is MUCH more selective than the Illinois comm program. If anything due to the spots available in the incoming classes. Illinois ICR is sort of like Syracuse (mass com phd) and UPENN's comm program as far as sheer amount of applications for just a few spots. Like 150+ applications for a handful of spots to all of those programs. And one similar aspect of all of those programs is that every spot is fully funded. So that adds another layer of application interest. Not to discourage on that front but if you had your heart set on illinois, I'd be banging down that Illinois COMM door!

I am glad you were true to yourself in your personal statement. I had this same problem because as I have mentioned before on this forum, research is just a necessary evil for me, as my heart is in pedagogy and professional development in the mass comm field. Hence my screen name as PR is not a field that has a solid place at the PHD mass comm table. As one of my professors told me "Everyone wants to hire PHD faculty in PR, there are more faculty spots than PHD graduates, but no mass comm scholar truly believes PR is deserving of research at the PHD level." Uh, ok. Great, thanks. So writing my personal statement was difficult to say the least. I am glad to have been admitted to a program that is known for having a 99.9% emphasis in qualitative research and a strong focus on critical aspects of the mass comm professions. I didn't have to downplay my professional interest in the PHD and I think that helped me in the end (admittedly, I did downplay it for the other programs I applied to and I have yet to hear back from most of them..hmmm..coincidence?) I do wish you best of luck for both Illinois programs despite my "Gandalf Stormcrow" attitude, lol.

BTW, I have a friend that graduated from my program last year that got into Oregon's PHD program. She is now there finishing up her first year. Awesome person. If you want her contact info to ask her some questions (she is extremely candid, which is why I love her) I would be glad to supply that in a private message. Oh and congrats on Oregon. The thought of living there makes me grin. But alas, it looks like 4 more years of snow for me!

@jadedid--welcome. Congrats on your acceptance to UNC! You are indeed in the right place.

Edited by PRguy101

PRGuy-

Seriously. They told me they had an "unfortunate situation" this year and had only one funding package to offer. Utterly ridiculous! I had the same thoughts...what the (expletive) is going onw ith their program? They threw a huge party at NCA which I attended. I networked and was truly excited about the program. I mean, do they REALLY think anyone is going to pay 40K per year for four years?! What the hell happened? Is the department falling apart or something? It is the strangest thing! I called Syracuse and Ohio...they are still reviewing apps. I am waiting for one slowpoke prof to send in her rec to GSU (deadline is 3/15) but I told her I knew they were meeting before the deadline (rolling admissions)...so I hope she sends it in soon!! UCONN told me I would hear at some point this week.

*crossing my fingers and drinking my wine

(Actually I went out and bot a BOTABOX of Chardonnay---equal to 4 bottles...not bad...I need it!)

Well I had the interview....she just wanted to clarify what I was interested in. I say a lot of "ums" when I speak....I hope I didn't blow it. She said "thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak with you" but did not make me an offer....I guess they are calling several students and maybe later on this week they will be making offers. Who knows.

I now have a lot of reservations about attending UCONN. The program doesn't seem to be a good 'fit' for me. The department is going through a lot of problems right now (from what I have heard from others) and that it takes people about 7 years to complete their PhDs because the courses are not offered often enough. Plus the professor I was speaking to told me that several of the faculty members are on maternity leave....and they happen to be profs I want to work with. Plus the department is entirely quantitative in nature. Their website is VERY misleading.

So....I think if they offer me a spot I will have to decline. I just don't think their program is flexible enough for me to be able to study what I am interested in studying. Oh well. I still have to hear from Syracuse, Ohio and GSU.

I now have a lot of reservations about attending UCONN. The program doesn't seem to be a good 'fit' for me. The department is going through a lot of problems right now (from what I have heard from others) and that it takes people about 7 years to complete their PhDs because the courses are not offered often enough. Plus the professor I was speaking to told me that several of the faculty members are on maternity leave....and they happen to be profs I want to work with. Plus the department is entirely quantitative in nature. Their website is VERY misleading.

So....I think if they offer me a spot I will have to decline. I just don't think their program is flexible enough for me to be able to study what I am interested in studying. Oh well. I still have to hear from Syracuse, Ohio and GSU.

Good to know about UCONN. I was considering them but I was warned away by several professors who said the exact same thing you mentioned: the completion rate of the PHD but also the lack of solid placement within mass comm departments across the U.S. I refuse to spend 7 years getting a PHD. I am early 30's I need to start getting on a tenure track lol, not hanging out in graduate school. We both are qualitative and its hard to find a mass comm program geared toward that type of research without going to a comm program in media studies.

Btw, is it Ohio University Comm/Journalism/media studies you are applying to? There is an interesting article about some faculty drama there. Weird lesson in tenure shenanigans!

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/01/22/tenure

Hello, all! I have to admit I've been reading the board for a while, but have not posted. A little about me:

MA in Health Comm 2007

GRE - mid 1200s, 5.5 writing

GPA - 3.7

I've been working in research for the past few years. I'm happy to report that I was accepted into UGA's Speech Communication PhD program and I will be attending this fall. Anyone else out there going to UGA? or applied and waiting? I'll be in the health comm track, but I know the rhetoric program is very strong there.

Edited by healthcomm

Oooh, how is UGA funding going to be next year??? I know several people who got severely screwed by cutbacks. The last I knew, the state legislature seemed to be operating under the assumption that no one needs no fancy larnin', and seemed determined to destroy the university by cutting funding. Of course, the folks I know were in the humanities, not social sciences, so YMMV.

Still, I would find out HOW certain they are that you'll get the funding that they may be promising, and the circumstances under which it might be taken away. I don't know anything about the program or your willingness to go into debt, but I would advise you to BE CAREFUL.

They're also very stingy with providing on-campus health services to grads, if that's a concern.

HOWEVER, UGA gets HUUUUUGE points for a gleaming, glorious gym and a fantastic bus system. You will never stand out in the 100 degree sun for more than 4 minutes, I promise. I have dreams about riding those buses, 4 years later...

Also, lots of people go to Athens and never leave. It's a great town, but there is little gainful employment and lots of ways to lose ambition.

None of this has anything to do with the program directly... but important considerations nonetheless! B)

Oooh, how is UGA funding going to be next year??? I know several people who got severely screwed by cutbacks. The last I knew, the state legislature seemed to be operating under the assumption that no one needs no fancy larnin', and seemed determined to destroy the university by cutting funding. Of course, the folks I know were in the humanities, not social sciences, so YMMV.

Still, I would find out HOW certain they are that you'll get the funding that they may be promising, and the circumstances under which it might be taken away. I don't know anything about the program or your willingness to go into debt, but I would advise you to BE CAREFUL.

They're also very stingy with providing on-campus health services to grads, if that's a concern.

HOWEVER, UGA gets HUUUUUGE points for a gleaming, glorious gym and a fantastic bus system. You will never stand out in the 100 degree sun for more than 4 minutes, I promise. I have dreams about riding those buses, 4 years later...

Also, lots of people go to Athens and never leave. It's a great town, but there is little gainful employment and lots of ways to lose ambition.

None of this has anything to do with the program directly... but important considerations nonetheless! B)

I have full funding; my understanding is that the dept. is planning on fully funding PhD students and any leftover funding will go to Masters students. I'm not sure the fallout from State/University politics are, but the department still has a substantial number of teaching and research opportunities. Funding was guaranteed for four years (of course must meet basic requirements of the program), so it should work out! I heavily investigated the program before applying and talked with former professors/students and found out the current situation of the speech comm dept, and everything is very healthy there. I'm excited!

Thanks for sharing about the health insurance; I did realize that when looking, but luckily, I'm married and will be on my husband's insurance. He'll still be working full-time so not a problem for me!

Did you go to undergrad there? any tips on housing/apts that will be good choices for a grad student who REALLY appreciates sleep? I'm really excited about the gym; good to know about the bus system. Definitely don't want to be walking across campus in 100 degrees!