Communication/Mass Comm/Journalism

Hi!!

I have a friend who is waiting the answer from Annenberg MA Communication Managent. Anyone knows something!! She is desperate !!

Thanx!!

I am also still waiting to hear from Annenberg about communication management. They are the last school I have to hear from and would love know if anyone has heard from them that didn't post to the results board.

• 9 months later...

Anyone around to discuss fall 2011 apps?

I've applied to four journalism master's programs: Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern (Medill).

Very nervous! How about anyone else?

Yes same here. Have not heard a word from all of those I applied to...

Anyone around to discuss fall 2011 apps?

I've applied to four journalism master's programs: Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern (Medill).

Very nervous! How about anyone else?

So far, I've only heard back from UT Austin. Other than that, I applied to Syracuse and Georgetown for master's programs in advertising and PR respectively. Haven't heard a peep from them yet!

So far, I've only heard back from UT Austin. Other than that, I applied to Syracuse and Georgetown for master's programs in advertising and PR respectively. Haven't heard a peep from them yet!

i applied to Berkeley, NYU, Columbia and Medill

i got a rejection from Berkeley last night- i didnt even make it to the interview stage. It seems theyr quiet selective especially that i am an international students. NYU should come soon. Columbia and Medill early march i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently an MA student at Columbia's Journalism School. I'm waiting to hear back from Upenn Annenberg for the PhD program. Has anyone heard anything, other than we are supposed to hear in "mid" Feb.?

If anyone has questions about Columbia, feel free to PM me. I don't know a ton about the MS program (it's a lot bigger, and you specialize by medium rather than subject), but I can fill you in on how the school works.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been accepted to mass comm PHD programs, am confused as hell and would really appreciate any guidance. One is CU Boulder (with 15k stipend) and another is UF (with 8K stipend). I've compared weather, quality of life and other aspects. Colorado seems to be a better choice considering the money and professor fit, but I've been told UF is a relatively larger university with better placement opportunities. I'm an international student who will be joining directly in August and all college research I can do is over the net. This is why, I want to be doubly sure before making my decision.

Please share any information which you think may help me decide. Thx!

Edited by finalcountdown

Hi,

I've been accepted to mass comm PHD programs, am confused as hell and would really appreciate any guidance. One is CU Boulder (with 15k stipend) and another is UF (with 8K stipend). I've compared weather, quality of life and other aspects. Colorado seems to be a better choice considering the money and professor fit, but I've been told UF is a relatively larger university with better placement opportunities. I'm an international student who will be joining directly in August and all college research I can do is over the net. This is why, I want to be doubly sure before making my decision.

If I were you, I'd ask both departments for statistics on placement. I'd ask for the actual numbers because if they are trying to recruit you, they may fudge them a bit anecdotaly. Also, if you haven't seen this, it's worth checking out both school's rankings for your particular area of study. Good luck with the decisions! I was just in Colorado for the first time recently and loved it. I wasn't in Boulder, but hear great things.

Hi,

There is also this site to make comparisons if you haven't seen it.

Thank you so much jmacnomad!! I had placement figures from random reports till now, but will check with the universities for exact data. Also, both the links auggested by you have amazing comparison charts. It's a big help in making my choice :)

I had one more question about funding and would really appreciate your view. Both the universities don't give a commitment on renewal of assistantship every year. I understand that it's all based on review of a candidate's performance, but is this normal practice? Can the university ever back out of it citing budget issues?

Thanks again!

Thank you so much jmacnomad!! I had placement figures from random reports till now, but will check with the universities for exact data. Also, both the links auggested by you have amazing comparison charts. It's a big help in making my choice :)

I had one more question about funding and would really appreciate your view. Both the universities don't give a commitment on renewal of assistantship every year. I understand that it's all based on review of a candidate's performance, but is this normal practice? Can the university ever back out of it citing budget issues?

Thanks again!

I'm glad the links were helpful! As far as assistantships, every school does it differently. Some are funded the first year only and subsequent years are contingent on performance. Some schools don't fund the first year and the subsequent ones are funded if the student performs well. Others, guarantee funding for 3, 4, or more years. I would also ask the programs if it is funding is strictly performance based or if there is a chance that it would be budget contingent. Since you are already admitted, you can ask the schools these frank questions as you weigh your options.

Thank you for the suggestions! After some frank talking, I've come to understand that funding depends on budget and performance in both these schools. And like you mentioned, Florida doesn't cover the 4th year. Ah well, decision time :blink: !

Which school are you headed for? I hope you hear about the funding soon.. Good luck!!

I'm glad the links were helpful! As far as assistantships, every school does it differently. Some are funded the first year only and subsequent years are contingent on performance. Some schools don't fund the first year and the subsequent ones are funded if the student performs well. Others, guarantee funding for 3, 4, or more years. I would also ask the programs if it is funding is strictly performance based or if there is a chance that it would be budget contingent. Since you are already admitted, you can ask the schools these frank questions as you weigh your options.

Thank you for the suggestions! After some frank talking, I've come to understand that funding depends on budget and performance in both these schools. And like you mentioned, Florida doesn't cover the 4th year. Ah well, decision time :blink: !

Which school are you headed for? I hope you hear about the funding soon.. Good luck!!

Good luck with the decisions! I'm waitlisted for admission and funding at both Umass Amherst and UW-Seattle. I'm in at U of Denver, but there's no funding. I'm really hoping that at least one of the other two will work out! The waiting is tough!

15 more days of madness. I hope everything works out for you!

Good luck with the decisions! I'm waitlisted for admission and funding at both Umass Amherst and UW-Seattle. I'm in at U of Denver, but there's no funding. I'm really hoping that at least one of the other two will work out! The waiting is tough!

I sent a panic e-mail to Fulbright yesterday, asking if there's anything to speed up the process. Because I still don't have funding info from 2 of the 3 schools where I've been accepted and one school didn't reply at all yet. I feel like with me it comes down to the very last days.... I guess I won't be able to make a decision before April 15 :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm a graduating Ph.D. Mass Comm from UF this year and I think it is a great program; however, and it is a BIG HOWEVER -- money is an issue. You get a stipend for the Fall and the Spring (usually) and you have to work for it, sometimes very hard. I paid for close to 10 credits out of pocket to make it in three years. It is great to have the opportunity to teach because it puts you at the top for jobs. You are not guaranteed any funding for the summer and competition is fierce and job assignments can seem arbitrary and unfair. In other words, some people get funded every summer and others don't get funded at all. Further, you are only guaranteed the opportunity to be funded for 3 years, unless you have the Alumni Scholarship, which gives you four years. If you are international, the three years could be tricky if you want to get up to speed with the language and teach enough classes to feel comfortable in the job search. That said, recruiters want UF grads. AT AEJMC they go through the list of job applicants and call the UF students one after the other to set up interviews. My friends and I just laughed because they would call us one after the other. Everyone looking for a job this year from the Mass Com department has a job and we are a very international group. Most of us had multiple offers. SO, it has drawbacks but UF prepares you to be at the top of teacher/scholars. UF also uses a system where you are not allowed to take your qualifying exams until you have prepared your dissertation proposal (first 3 chapters). This is stressful but it means that once you defend your quals and proposal (usually at the same meeting)you just have to revise as necessary, collect your data and finish. I think CU has you take the quals before you prepare the proposal, which can be hard if you struggle with the post-quals "slump".

Good luck!

Go Gators!

Thank you for replying, Studymom. You've covered everything I wanted to know about U Florida. I had a great offer, but finally decided on CU Boulder due to a better research fit. Really appreciate your help!

Hey jmacnomad, I see you've made your decision too! Congratulations and good luck...