Psych GRE and a couple general admissions questions

Jung&Psyched

Hey all,

Just a couple questions for you, as I am beginning to delve into the application process for Fall 2019!

1. One of the masters programs I am hoping apply to "recommends" taking the psych GRE. Has anyone else taken this and can share their experience (study tips, difficulty of test)? I am struggling with whether or not I want to spend the money of ANOTHER test (about to take the general GRE for the second time) when only one school wants it and it is only recommended, not required.  Thoughts on this? Would it really knock my application badly not to do it? I had a pretty rigorous undergrad in psych ...not like I am coming from a completely different field ! 

2. How far in advance should I reach out to professors for LORs? I have been out of school for six years so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that professors I worked more closely with will remember me. 

3. How soon should I start contacting POIs about whether or not they are taking applicants for 2019? 

Thanks ! 

I can answer the second two questions. But the first one not so much because I didn't take the Psych GRE, even for the schools that "recommended" it. 

So for LOR I reached out by the second week of school. I just asked if they would be willing to write a strong and positive letter on my behalf. I reached out super early because I wanted time as a cushion just in case they said no or took forever to respond (which ended up happening). I also would recommend reaching out to more professors than you need, just in case folks don't respond - which is what happened to me. But in your case, it would be best to reach out earlier. When I reached out I included what classes I took with them, my CV, my unofficial transcript and draft Personal Statement (or just what you are interested in)

As for reaching out to POI's I did mine the first week in October. Just to give myself enough time if they weren't taking students to "re-adjust" my plans. 

1 hour ago, Eanertodt said:

I can answer the second two questions. But the first one not so much because I didn't take the Psych GRE, even for the schools that "recommended" it. 

So for LOR I reached out by the second week of school. I just asked if they would be willing to write a strong and positive letter on my behalf. I reached out super early because I wanted time as a cushion just in case they said no or took forever to respond (which ended up happening). I also would recommend reaching out to more professors than you need, just in case folks don't respond - which is what happened to me. But in your case, it would be best to reach out earlier. When I reached out I included what classes I took with them, my CV, my unofficial transcript and draft Personal Statement (or just what you are interested in)

As for reaching out to POI's I did mine the first week in October. Just to give myself enough time if they weren't taking students to "re-adjust" my plans. 

Thank you for the reply! It definitely helps with setting up my timeline.  May I ask how many programs you applied to and did the same professors provide LORs for all programs? I am limited in the professors that I think will remember me...and I don't know if there is an "acceptable" number of LORs to ask them to write? I have about 12 programs I am interested, is that too many to ask them to provide LORs for? 

4 hours ago, liznlex said:

Thank you for the reply! It definitely helps with setting up my timeline.  May I ask how many programs you applied to and did the same professors provide LORs for all programs? I am limited in the professors that I think will remember me...and I don't know if there is an "acceptable" number of LORs to ask them to write? I have about 12 programs I am interested, is that too many to ask them to provide LORs for? 

Unfortunately, I had some professors flake on me so I had the same three do all 12/13 (mostly Ph.D., like 2 or 3 Masters) of my applications. I think that is fine. My professors didn't seem to mind. I did provide them with spreadsheets, research interests specific to each school, due dates and everything humanly possible to make the process as easy as possible for them.  

Usually its fine to ask the same person to do multiple. I know my advisor just had one pdf file he uploaded everywhere haha. My second LOR put a little bit more effort in it by also putting the schools name on it.

Tbh, only one of my schools req the Psych GREs and that was the only reason I took that dumb test. I didn't even do well on it but that didn't stop me from getting into a program. However, if you have your Bachelors in a field that isn't Psych, then I definitely think you should take it. 

On 6/9/2018 at 10:48 PM, Psygeek said:

Usually its fine to ask the same person to do multiple. I know my advisor just had one pdf file he uploaded everywhere haha. My second LOR put a little bit more effort in it by also putting the schools name on it.

Thanks for the reply! Honestly, I will just be happy if they remember me and are willing to write LORs for me six years later haha. It makes me feel better to know that they can do a pretty standard format and just alter them slightly to each school1

The psych gre is a joke. Every professor I have talked to told me it doesn't matter much at all and that most programs don't consider its content as very representative of your knowledge in psychology. I did poorly on it and got into more than one program. My general gre scores were pretty good though.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:56 AM, liznlex said:

Hey all,

Just a couple questions for you, as I am beginning to delve into the application process for Fall 2019!

1. One of the masters programs I am hoping apply to "recommends" taking the psych GRE. Has anyone else taken this and can share their experience (study tips, difficulty of test)? I am struggling with whether or not I want to spend the money of ANOTHER test (about to take the general GRE for the second time) when only one school wants it and it is only recommended, not required.  Thoughts on this? Would it really knock my application badly not to do it? I had a pretty rigorous undergrad in psych ...not like I am coming from a completely different field ! 

2. How far in advance should I reach out to professors for LORs? I have been out of school for six years so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that professors I worked more closely with will remember me. 

3. How soon should I start contacting POIs about whether or not they are taking applicants for 2019? 

Thanks ! 

1. For me, the psych GRE was a joke. More than half of the content was IO/Social, which (to me) is fairly irrelevant to my field of study. I scored in the 75th percentile (90th bio/neuroscience, 50th social/IO), so I wound up not sending this. My general scores and GPA were great, so I let those speak for themselves on the standardized test front. Frankly, master's programs are not rigorous or competitive enough in their admissions process (IMHO) to even suggest applicants take this...

2. I'd reach out to profs now if you have been that far out. Some may be on summer holiday, though, so keep that in mind. 

3. I am confused. Are you applying to just masters programs, or PhD as well? Usually master's programs do not have formalized mentor-mentee relationships like that. If you are talking about PhD programs, I would reach out in early-to-late August when funding for the next incoming year might be more clear. It's too early now. 

On 6/18/2018 at 10:27 AM, Clinapp2017 said:

1. For me, the psych GRE was a joke. More than half of the content was IO/Social, which (to me) is fairly irrelevant to my field of study. I scored in the 75th percentile (90th bio/neuroscience, 50th social/IO), so I wound up not sending this. My general scores and GPA were great, so I let those speak for themselves on the standardized test front. Frankly, master's programs are not rigorous or competitive enough in their admissions process (IMHO) to even suggest applicants take this...

2. I'd reach out to profs now if you have been that far out. Some may be on summer holiday, though, so keep that in mind. 

3. I am confused. Are you applying to just masters programs, or PhD as well? Usually master's programs do not have formalized mentor-mentee relationships like that. If you are talking about PhD programs, I would reach out in early-to-late August when funding for the next incoming year might be more clear. It's too early now. 

1. Thinking based on all of these responses I'm going to forgo the psych GRE, I just can't justify the cost for one school. My undergrad gpa was fairly low, but I have retaken some courses and received all A's and I'm hoping that will show that I am capable and significantly more focused than I was in undergrad. My general GRE scores are above avg scores for the masters programs I'm applying to, and about average for the doctoral. 

2. Good to know! I will start formulating a good email and update my CV to send as well to explain what I've been up to the past 6 years.

3. Yep! I am planning to apply to both. My ultimate goal is a doctorate, but with my limited research experience and low-ish undergrad gpa I am being realistic and applying to masters as well. Most doctorals I am applying to are in counseling psych, as they are often more, or equally, interested in clinical experience compared to research and I have about 4.5 years of direct work with clients in the mental health field. Gotta play those strengths !!