How do you feel?

Eanertodt

Soooo this post is mainly folks that applied this cycle and were successful (hopefully this doesn’t sound offensive). 

I am super excited about being able to pursue this dream but I’m also super nervous. I am feeling a bit anxious about starting in the fall. I don’t know if steming from having to move half way across the country or starting a new program or if it’s from like all the work put in and finally getting accepted or imposter syndrome or what. I am just wondering if I am the only one experiencing this. 

If you have any tips on combatting this please share ?

Edited by Eanertodt
Tried to fix weird font.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:45 PM, Eanertodt said:

Soooo this post is mainly folks that applied this cycle and were successful (hopefully this doesn’t sound offensive). 

I am super excited about being able to pursue this dream but I’m also super nervous. I am feeling a bit anxious about starting in the fall. I don’t know if steming from having to move half way across the country or starting a new program or if it’s from like all the work put in and finally getting accepted or imposter syndrome or what. I am just wondering if I am the only one experiencing this. 

If you have any tips on combatting this please share ?

You’re not the only one. I’m a now 2nd year student and imposter syndrome is still real. From what I’ve heard, it never goes away (even faculty feel it). You just need to know you’re there for a reason and continue to be excited. For me, being open to learning something new every day really has helped. 

I'm well past this point, but I found it helpful to reach out to the grad student community at my university--join FB pages, start emailing with my new academic "siblings." Having a tight-knit cohort and lab made my PhD years really enjoyable and I'm sure reduced my stress level. Good luck and have fun!

I feel the same way! There’s literally nothing else I can do to prepare: apartment is confirmed, I registered for all my classes, I’m set. I get to relax, but the coming semester looms over me like a particularly imposing exam I haven’t studied for. Currently I’m scouring the internet for “typical day in the life of a social psych PhD student” so I can get a glimpse of what to expect. Nothing is helpful! (If anyone can direct me to a thread for this please do! I might have to make my own)  

I think the fear of the unknown is what’s getting to me. I feel unprepared because I don’t know what I’m preparing for other than the always vague “readings and meetings”     I just want to start already ??  

Edited by Torple