Learning New Language in Grad Program

PMJ

Hello all!

I just recently got accepted into a doctoral program (w/ funding *thank god*) and I am endlessly thinking about what I should do for a project. I have been forcing myself not to think about projects and the stuff that comes with that, but I can't help but want to plan stuff out way ahead of time. 

I originally wanted to focus on doing work in Spanish-speaking countries thus I took Spanish courses as an undergrad, but I find myself drawn more towards Japan.  I've always had a strong appreciation for Japanese culture, but I have no exposure to the language. 

Is it typical to learn an entirely different foreign language during the first 2 or 3 years of a doctoral program? From what I hear is that I should be able to do so through coursework, workshops, etc but I also hear that Japanese is incredibly difficult for native English speakers. Plus, my program expects me to have at least an intermediate proficiency in a foreign language before the end of my third year. 

Any info you can offer definitely helps. 

Certainly depends on your project and what your aim for post-PhD life is, but I've been trying to pick up French for a my dissertation research and it has been an uphill battle. Not only are language classes not permitted in the course load of my program, but you really need a high degree of fluency for ethnographic or archival research. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a very deep and specific interest that will motivate you, and I've found most PhD students come in to their programs with the language skills necessary for your research. Moreover, advisers might not be supportive of this redirection when it seems to eat up so much of your time and focus throughout your program.

@PMJ I think it’s pretty normal for doctoral students to learn a new language while in the program. For me, I’m learning Quechua and Aymara since I work in Peru and not many High Schools and Uni’s offer those courses haha. So for the most part, I’ve done some stuff in country and also have found workbooks that I go through to help keep it up. Sure, it’s not going from Spanish to Japanese, but I think even if you could audit the first few class sections to get down the characters, sounds, and pronounciations - then it will be much more easy than attempting this on your own. 

My MA advisor starting taking spanish courses in her second year of PhD. Sure, her accent isn’t the best buuuuut she’s fluent and actively conducts research in Peru. I would even suggest trying to get the critical language scholarship and study abroad in Japan - that way you’ll be forced to speak it. Also Duo Lingo in pretty good! I actually just started with the Japanese course and it’s really simple and enjoyable. 

Yeah, it's pretty common.  I just spent the last 6 weeks taking courses in an indigenous language while doing preliminary fieldwork.  In fact, my department encourages PhD students to use the summer in between 1st and 2nd year to learn a new language that will help with fieldwork.

• 1 month later...

I took Japanese in college. I didn't find speaking and listening incredibly difficult. However, a huge caveat is that I've been watching Japanese-language programming and listening to Japanese music since I was a teenager. I did find Japanese reading and writing to be pretty difficult, especially once we got to kanji (and I didn't stay in that long afterwards, for various reasons).

Japanese is a critical language, so there are several scholarships that you could get to support your language learning. The Boren Fellowships support overseas study to increase proficiency in certain critical languages (Japanese included;  https://www.borenawards.org/fellowships/boren-fellowship-basics.). You could also apply for a Fulbright grant in Japan and add a language component to it (https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedprogram/37). Adding some intensive study in an immersive environment can make it easier to pick up the language.