Contacting POI- Is it really a thing?

jriveracal

Question

I don't want to look like a complete dumbass reaching out to POI if it isn't common. My prospective program is sociology (Ph.D.) and based on previous posts I have read from others...I feel maybe this is more imperative for those looking into programs in the natural sciences? Could be totally wrong...just saw that a lot of the people that talk about doing it are in the natural sciences.

Anyone else in social science going to reach out to POI? Is it advisable to do so or...?

3 answers to this question

Contacting POIs is more common in the natural sciences because funding is sometimes attached to that person's lab. As a result, the professor the POI has a higher chance of being involved in who they select for their lab. In the Social Sciences and Humanities, funding is provided by the department as a whole and isn't tied down to external funding.

You can still select to contact a POI but you should ensure that you have a reason to contact them that can't be answered on the departmental website and is specific to them.

I would say yes, contact them! I applied for PhD programs in Special Education, and found that by reaching out to professors ahead of time (like August/September of application season) helped me out (I ended up getting final admissions interviews with each of these POIs). It shows you have initiative and are truly interested in their research. That way, when applications come their way, any professors you'd be interested in having as an advisor/working with will already know who you are and what you're about.

I second what Warelin said above, make sure whatever you ask can't be answered on the website. I just contacted each to hear more about their work and ask questions about it and their advising style.