Please help: Global History MA at FU/HU Berlin

Chakrabarty

Hi everyone,

Last week I was accepted into the MA in Global History jointly offered Freie and Humboldt University in Berlin (program homepage here). I need to send them a decision by July 31, and apply for a visa immediately. I also applied to the MA in South Asian Studies at Heidelberg - but made a mistake and my application wasn't counted. I plan to re-apply there in November.

Does anyone have any thoughts or reviews on this program - or generally on how FU/HU Berlin compare to Heidelberg for history?

The issue is: I read one poor review here, and there is scarce other information on the program, even though the premise and faculty seem promising.

I can't fund my way through an MA in the US or UK, so my professor had recommended Germany. My interest is in an affordable MA in modern South Asian history, with a strong focus on languages,  (which Heidelberg definitely has) and somewhat in digital history (I studied computer science as well) so I can aim for a funded PhD in the United States.

So right now, I'm a little torn. Should I accept this OR give it up, re-apply to Heidelberg in November? Any reviews on the MA in Global History would help. I need to decide fast.

Go to the program that gives you the best training including languages if the PhD is your end goal. You'll also want to know where these programs' alumni have gone.

• 1 year later...

I'll share my thoughts on the program, but always via PM. As for the reddit link...yeah...it hits a lot of issues, but also misses a lot of solutions.

• 1 year later...

Hoping to resurrect this topic. I've just been admitted as well. It's hard to find much info online about what the program is actually like. There are a few older threads scattered across Reddit and here (very brief ones) on the subject of this MA but no recent ones. I'm hoping for more information on this program and whether anyone has any direct experience, especially as regards rigor of coursework and ability to bend coursework toward your specific research interests (if you are coming in with a clear research area, which I am -- broad subject would be history of psychiatry and medicalization of identity). I read the student bios on the website from the past few years but most express just a desire to learn in a globally focused program. They seem to have written these bios upon starting the program and most have not updated with specific research projects they are undertaking, so they don't seem to reflect really experiences in the program beyond the first few weeks.

I've also been admitted to a very good program (better academic fit) but would much prefer to live in Berlin if I can make the Global History MA work for my research interests.