Realistic MSCS Choices - Unrelated Degree

mr_grad

Hi all! Looking for any advice and input from anyone familiar with MSCS programs.

I have an unrelated undergraduate degree and would like to know which schools are worth applying to, and which are not. I know there are other individuals trying to get into CS without a CS undergrad degree - so perhaps this will be useful for them too in future.

For context: I have a Bachelor of Music as an undergrad. In preparation to apply for masters programs in CS*, I have completed the following 10 courses (by application date):

Discrete Structures, Programming I, Programming II (completes one-year CS sequence), Calculus I, Calculus II (completes one-year sequence), Statistics, Linear Algebra, Intro to Data Science, Operating Systems, Data Structures & Algorithms. I have a 4.0 in this course work, as well as my undergraduate degree. 

Q: What are some reputable programs that might accept a candidate such as myself? What are some programs that are simply not applying to, considering my background? I understand certain programs are looking primarily for students likely to excel in research. These might be universities to avoid considering my background. I am more interested in doing really good coursework from a reputable** university. What might that list look like?

*In California - and many states - a second bachelors is not permitted. I live in CA.
**Let's define reputable as any top 60 program from any well-known source (usnews.com, csrankings.org etc).

Edited by mr_grad
Punctuation

I'm an engineer and am now in a PhD program in an unrelated field. It can be done. Is that "no second bachelors" across the board at all schools in California? I didn't know that. You could look at undergrad CS majors and see how your completed coursework compares. That maybe should be a topic in your SOP (if those exist for MSCS). Also, talk to professors at potential schools and ask them. It seems that not all universities have the same policies.

Edited by xolo