What to do during "training weeks"

surprise_quiche

I have two weeks of "training weeks" before classes start that I have to be on campus all day. Only two of those days I have been made aware of that I have all-day training. What do I do for the rest of the time?? I've been preparing for the class all summer, I'm just not sure what I should be doing during this time.

Is this the same for all TA programs?

Can I spend the time at my apartment or do I have to physically be there?

14 minutes ago, surprise_quiche said:

Can I spend the time at my apartment or do I have to physically be there?

This is a question best answered by those running the training session. Please do keep in mind that the answer you hear isn't actually the answer.

Teaching is hard.

Were I in your shoes, I'd find ways to maximize what ever "down" time you have during those two weeks. I would prioritize putting together a syllabus for your section, getting a running start on the course materials, and familiarizing yourself with the relevant on-campus resources.

Teaching is hard.

So, I got to campus a few weeks before class started, so I had a lot of opportunity to do just this.  Here's what I did:

- Try to make friends.  Introduce myself, invite people out for coffee.  Meet with advisors and department heads.  Basically relationship building.  Go talk to Samentha - she and I did our Master's together, and she started at UW-M last year.  Tell her Elise sent you to say hi.

- Figure out where everything is.  Explore campus and get lost.  Explore TOWN and get lost.  Find your way back.

- Settle into your new home.

- Set some goals for yourself.  If you can get a copy of the syllabi for your classes, start reading.

Honestly, though I'm surprised they're forcing you to be on campus if they don't have anything planned.  Are you sure there's no train-the-teacher training or anything like that?  Might be worth doublechecking.  For us, we have a week of orientation.  The first 8 hours is all orientation to the school, program, etc.  The rest of the week is training for the intro Comm class we all teach.