I got a 5.5!

historygeek

I know that, of everything, your AW score matters the least. But, I got my official scores today and I got a 5.5 (98th percentile) on the writing! I was kind of bummed about my scores (especially my verbal), but I feel really, really good now! 

2 hours ago, kgras13 said:

That's awesome!! Congrats! Do you have any prep tips on how you did so well? I'm struggling with prepping for those because I'm so bad at coming up with things off the top of my head!

Thank you!

In general, I’m a pretty strong writer, which definitely helped. To practice, I did the full-length ETS PowerPrep tests. At the end, they give you some sample scored essays, which I tried to model my essays on. ETS also offers an essay scorer. It’s $20, but worth it, imo. On the actual test, I read the prompt and took a minute or so to think. I definitely recommend just starting to write, keeping grammar in mind. You can always edit. As I was writing, I got new ideas, so that helped.

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Thank you!

In general, I’m a pretty strong writer, which definitely helped. To practice, I did the full-length ETS PowerPrep tests. At the end, they give you some sample scored essays, which I tried to model my essays on. ETS also offers an essay scorer. It’s $20, but worth it, imo. On the actual test, I read the prompt and took a minute or so to think. I definitely recommend just starting to write, keeping grammar in mind. You can always edit. As I was writing, I got new ideas, so that helped.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice!!