What to ask about in Skype interview

ResilientDreams

A professor I emailed about working with said I was a good candidate and that he hoped I applied. He offered to Skype with me to talk more. He asked me some questions about a study I'm working on, so I know I'll talk about tha (and also his work), but is there anything else you all suggest I ask about/talk about?

3 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

A professor I emailed about working with said I was a good candidate and that he hoped I applied. He offered to Skype with me to talk more. He asked me some questions about a study I'm working on, so I know I'll talk about tha (and also his work), but is there anything else you all suggest I ask about/talk about?

Mentorship style (hands off, hands on)

Lab culture (any outings or shared events)

Expectations and commitment from you (what does he want out of his students)

Those are a few ideas. I feel like having a list of questions is good, but what is even better is when the conversation flows more naturally. My current mentor and I clicked over a random baseball souvinier in her office, for example.

I'd also ask what current projects students are doing. People change their interests from time to time - I actually found out I was a better fit to my advisor in this way than initially anticipated (apparently he had this new line of research on the side going on that wasn't published at the time yet which I'm totally into).